Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was running the available updates for modules while I had FDRS hooked up, a couple of them were for Driver and Passenger door modules. I didn't think anything of it, I've ran similar updates before and never noticed a difference.

This morning I unlocked my doors and the windows rolled down about 1/2" to prevent the window from catching and flopping on the seal. It was nice for the first time in 2 years to not have my door feel like something was broken as I opened it. It actually feels like a regular car door now!

So if you hate window flop, ask your dealer to run door module updates next time you have it in for service. This is the dealer software, not Forscan.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 72 Mach, 03 Mach, 69 Mach, 08 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So this updates only helps when you unlock the truck?

kirnma

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was running the available updates for modules while I had FDRS hooked up, a couple of them were for Driver and Passenger door modules. I didn't think anything of it, I've ran similar updates before and never noticed a difference.

This morning I unlocked my doors and the windows rolled down about 1/2" to prevent the window from catching and flopping on the seal. It was nice for the first time in 2 years to not have my door feel like something was broken as I opened it. It actually feels like a regular car door now!

So if you hate window flop, ask your dealer to run door module updates next time you have it in for service. This is the dealer software, not Forscan.

I'll update the thread with a video next time I go out to my truck.
This is not something Ford will provide over the air? I've been looking for a solution to the door-window-catch problem, but did not want to do the manual re-alignment. I do my own service and avoid the dealer if I can, but if this is a dealer-only upgrade I might have to think about it!

OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So this updates only helps when you unlock the truck?
Correct. If the doors are locked - when you pull the handle there is not enough time to both unlock the door and roll down. Unless you pull the handle, it unlocks, and then you push the door open after the window as moved. To make it smooth you have to unlock first.
Didn't Ford add that to the more recent builds?
Maybe, I have a 2021. If they added it to new models that is probably where the update came from.
This is not something Ford will provide over the air? I've been looking for a solution to the door-window-catch problem, but did not want to do the manual re-alignment. I do my own service and avoid the dealer if I can, but if this is a dealer-only upgrade I might have to think about it!
No idea, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You can buy the J2534 scan tool and software license for personal use but it's pricey. There are cheaper versions people have used, but the official Ford scan tool is $1600. Plus a software license. You can buy a 2 day license for either $50 or $150, I don't remember which one you need. It's not worth it just to update your windows.

Sponsored

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had a friend demonstrate this feature on his new Raptor. I'm hoping they push it out across the board - this is encouraging!

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Didn't Ford add that to the more recent builds?
Yeah 2023's after a certain build date. Last I heard, Ford was still working on making it available on previous models. They haven't said anything about it since then.
I'll see if mine has a PDM/DDM update when I get home and see if it works for my 22 also.
It's possible the software is out and they just haven't announced it yet.

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2d SAS 7sp(AB) Hi Tow Modular Hoop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have an 04/23 build. The window drops down about 1/2" when we open the door, but it doesn't drop quick enough to clear the weatherstripping if we open it normally. The top part of the window catches/pops on the weatherstripping as the door opens.

We've gotten in the habit of unlatching the door by pulling on the aft end of the door handle while holding the door "mostly closed" by pushing on the opposite/sensor end of the door handle at the same time. This forces the window to drop (and clear the weatherstripping) before the door is completely opened.

The door itself has to open slightly to activate the window motor. At that point, it's already too late. Ford should have activated the window motor based on movement of the door handle (using the proximity sensor??). If this latest firmware update does just that---it could be a legitimate fix.

For what it's worth, we pulled the door panels and adjusted both windows (2dr) following Ford's recommended procedures. This decreased the amount of window snap when the door opened, but does not address the core problem---delayed activation of the window motor.

Last edited:

kirnma

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have an 04/23 build. The window drops down about 1/2" when we open the door, but it doesn't drop quick enough to clear the weatherstripping if we open it normally. The top part of the window catches/pops on the weatherstripping as the door opens.

We've gotten in the habit of unlatching the door by pulling on the aft end of the door handle while holding the door "mostly closed" by pushing on the opposite/sensor end of the door handle at the same time. This forces the window to drop (and clear the weatherstripping) before the door is completely opened.

The door itself has to open slightly to activate the window motor. At that point, it's already too late. Ford should have activated the window motor based on movement of the door handle (using the proximity sensor??). If this latest firmware update does just that---it could be a legitimate fix.

For what it's worth, we pulled the door panels and adjusted both windows (2dr) following Ford's recommended procedures. This decreased the amount of window snap when the door opened, but does not address the core problem---delayed activation of the window motor.
This fix sounds like it would activate the motor when the door is unlocked, not opened as it is now, so I am encouraged.

OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excuse the wind noise but this shows what I’m talking about. The windows drop via the remote or the interior switch, but not by the proximity unlock on the handle or pulling the interior handle while the doors are locked. Not a perfect fix but better than nothing.

Sponsored

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2d SAS 7sp(AB) Hi Tow Modular Hoop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bytheway, thanks for posting the vid!

Do the windows go back up at some point if the doors are not opened?

OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bytheway, thanks for posting the vid!

Do the windows go back up at some point if the doors are not opened?
Good question, i wondered that myself. It's new enough I haven't figured out all the details. I'll update as I live with it a few days.

MotoFish

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is the biggest gripe we have about the Bronco. Wife has a 2023. We are in the habit of thumbing the door while pulling the handle so the window comes down. It did not do any good though last weekend in the snow ice. Stupid window would not go down. Even after removing the snow prior to freezing hard.
I'll welcome this update to a design that should have not been used.
Ford Bronco Door module update fixes window flop 20231028_115242

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am going to ask the Ford Techs tomorrow when they come to my house for a wiper software update. They called me a few days ago and said they had to come out to my house to do this wiper motor software update- anyone else hear anything about this? 5/22 build date.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs