First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well I’ll start this off with I’m not completely sure I’m posting this in the proper subsection on here as it’s my first time posting here, so apologies in advance if it’s not in the proper section.

I’ve read through countless posts from other Bronco owners regarding upgrading their M190 differential to the M210 or M220, but haven’t seen anyone saying they are upgrading their M210 for the M220.

I recently had my M190 fail while off-roading, and I decided I would just try to the fix myself rather that having another M190 put into my Bronco by the dealership. I’m attempting to do this on a budget and don’t really feel like spending upwards of $8k on the one from Lethal Performance or the ungodly amount for a Dana 44 (Yes I’m aware some owners would tell me it’s a lot but so worth it and I should just do it, but I unfortunately don’t have those funds just laying around).

So now I’m looking at buying all the parts from Ford (most likely an M210 4.7 ratio front and rear) but now I’m questioning whether OEM parts are even a wise choice. It seems like the M190 has had several issues from what I’ve read but I guess to make my random a** rant shorter.. Does the OEM M210 have issues as well or is that a fairly solid diff? I don’t do extreme off-roading, mostly overlanding. Hopefully my question make sense?

Thanks in advance,
-Chris.
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm probably wrong, but I thought the m210 was the front diff and the m220 the rear diff? I think the m220 is a pretty solid diff up to 35's. The front diff (whatever it is) has had seal/leaking issues and I've heard of folks having it replaced, especially when they have the pinion leak (different from the front diff leak), under warranty. Several have also had the front diff seal replaced under warranty.

Whether it still has these issues in year four of the Bronco I don't know. I for one had the pinion seal replaced, and have noticed something like a leak on the front diff.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think you would be better off trading your bronco for one with Sasquatch…there are really no easy solutions for the front other than 210 that I know of and yes it is stronger…

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well I’ll start this off with I’m not completely sure I’m posting this in the proper subsection on here as it’s my first time posting here, so apologies in advance if it’s not in the proper section.

I’ve read through countless posts from other Bronco owners regarding upgrading their M190 differential to the M210 or M220, but haven’t seen anyone saying they are upgrading their M210 for the M220.

I recently had my M190 fail while off-roading, and I decided I would just try to the fix myself rather that having another M190 put into my Bronco by the dealership. I’m attempting to do this on a budget and don’t really feel like spending upwards of $8k on the one from Lethal Performance or the ungodly amount for a Dana 44 (Yes I’m aware some owners would tell me it’s a lot but so worth it and I should just do it, but I unfortunately don’t have those funds just laying around).

So now I’m looking at buying all the parts from Ford (most likely an M210 4.7 ratio front and rear) but now I’m questioning whether OEM parts are even a wise choice. It seems like the M190 has had several issues from what I’ve read but I guess to make my random a** rant shorter.. Does the OEM M210 have issues as well or is that a fairly solid diff? I don’t do extreme off-roading, mostly overlanding. Hopefully my question make sense?

Thanks in advance,
-Chris.
Curious what failed on your M190 front?

OP
OP
ChoncDaBronc

ChoncDaBronc

Big Bend
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Curious what failed on your M190 front?
Not 100% sure… all the dealership really said was that the gearing inside the front differential was basically completely gone.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChoncDaBronc

ChoncDaBronc

Big Bend
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think you would be better off trading your bronco for one with Sasquatch…there are really no easy solutions for the front other than 210 that I know of and yes it is stronger…
I thought about that as well but unfortunately the dealership still wants $4,700 for the repair and I’ve put some expensive upgrades into my Bronco already so I’d really be eating a lot by trading in!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did Dana ever release the 44FDU? If not, just upgrade to the 210.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
M210=front M220=rear. Options are stock sasquatch takeoffs (will always be 4.70 w/locker, since all squatch are), or dana "ultimate" fdu, which is available in ratios up to 5.38, and can be ordered to accept larger 35 spline cv axles. Rear once again all squatch takeoffs are gonna be the same, and dana offers a D60 semifloat which should be pretty bulletproof (but not a cheap date).

OP
OP
ChoncDaBronc

ChoncDaBronc

Big Bend
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm probably wrong, but I thought the m210 was the front diff and the m220 the rear diff? I think the m220 is a pretty solid diff up to 35's. The front diff (whatever it is) has had seal/leaking issues and I've heard of folks having it replaced, especially when they have the pinion leak (different from the front diff leak), under warranty. Several have also had the front diff seal replaced under warranty.

Whether it still has these issues in year four of the Bronco I don't know. I for one had the pinion seal replaced, and have noticed something like a leak on the front diff.
It’s very possible the M220 is the back and the M210 is the front! It’s a bit outside my area of knowledge (desperately trying to learn), good to know the M210/M220’s seem to be a bit stronger aside from leaking… That’s something I can definitely deal with versus my M190 gearing completely failing.. I appreciate the bits of insight!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

M210=front M220=rear. Options are stock sasquatch takeoffs (will always be 4.70 w/locker, since all squatch are), or dana "ultimate" fdu, which is available in ratios up to 5.38, and can be ordered to accept larger 35 spline cv axles. Rear once again all squatch takeoffs are gonna be the same, and dana offers a D60 semifloat which should be pretty bulletproof (but not a cheap date).
If you upgrade the gearing in the front, it has to match the back, too? So maybe fixing the gearing in the m190 (if possible) is the cheapest route?

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChoncDaBronc

ChoncDaBronc

Big Bend
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did Dana ever release the 44FDU? If not, just upgrade to the 210.
Honestly not quite sure on that one! Info Dana is a bit outside my budget so most likely going to have to go with the M210.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you upgrade the gearing in the front, it has to match the back, too? So maybe fixing the gearing in the m190 (if possible) is the cheapest route?
would actually be cheaper to just regear the rear. Don't think regearing a M190 is a good idea

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

would actually be cheaper to just regear the rear. Don't think regearing a M190 is a good idea
Well, I mean keeping the gearing. So in other words, going to m210 means upgrading to the m220 and matching the gearing? Or just keeping whatever the gearing is and fixing or replacing the m190. I'm not sure the OP is aware of this requirement, matching the gearing.

OP
OP
ChoncDaBronc

ChoncDaBronc

Big Bend
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good to know! Definitely something I’ll look into!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I mean keeping the gearing. So in other words, going to m210 means upgrading to the m220 and matching the gearing? Or just keeping whatever the gearing is and fixing or replacing the m190. I'm not sure the OP is aware of this requirement, matching the gearing.
ya front and rear gotta be the same ratio or it will lock up in 4wd. All Bronco are M220 rear, and all the ratios are available for them (however some gears like 3.73 were welded to the carrier, so that's gotta be changed too...which gives you the excuse to put a locker in!). This kinda stuff runs into money fast!
Sponsored