Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

My bronco is reaching 50K. When I check the coolant it is sitting at a low level, but before I add more I wonder if this is a normal color of it?
Just in case it needs a flush/change, is it under warranty?
Thank you!
Edit: Could it be a symptom of something is wrong with the engine?
Ford Bronco Concern about my coolant IMG_1801

Ford Bronco Concern about my coolant IMG_1805
Sponsored

Last edited:

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would…mine looks like this at 15k miles

Ford Bronco Concern about my coolant IMG_2972

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yep yours does look much saturated in color. Do you know if changing coolant is under the warranty?
Don't think so, but you're at 50k so you're over the 3yr/36k period either way.

Sponsored

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Your coolant definitely looks much darker than when it was new. Have you or a service shop topped it off? Perhaps a different coolant was used.

OP
OP

catbus16

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your coolant definitely looks much darker than when it was new. Have you or a service shop topped it off? Perhaps a different coolant was used.
I bought it used so I have no idea if a different coolant is used. I’m going to do a coolant flush and refill, I wonder if it’s worth it to do it in dealer or any mechanic with good reputation? Does it need to use the ford yellow AF coolant?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I bought it used so I have no idea if a different coolant is used. I’m going to do a coolant flush and refill, I wonder if it’s worth it to do it in dealer or any mechanic with good reputation? Does it need to use the ford yellow AF coolant?
You can use anything that meets the WSS-M97B57-A2 requirements.
I’d recommend just using the factory Motorcraft yellow.

OP
OP

catbus16

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update, went to the ford dealer and got it flushed and refilled, the color is still not as bright as I expected. Gonna visit the dealer again next week to see what is going on
Ford Bronco Concern about my coolant IMG_1812

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Update, went to the ford dealer and got it flushed and refilled, the color is still not as bright as I expected. Gonna visit the dealer again next week to see what is going on
Ford Bronco Concern about my coolant IMG_1812
Does the coolant in the reservoir still look the same color? It’s not uncommon for the reservoir to get stained and just look dark from the outside.

It also depends on what kind of flush they did. Some dealers will sell a “flush” but in reality only drain the radiator and refill it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

catbus16

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the coolant in the reservoir still look the same color? It’s not uncommon for the reservoir to get stained and just look dark from the outside.

It also depends on what kind of flush they did. Some dealers will sell a “flush” but in reality only drain the radiator and refill it.
Thanks! Yea I will use a baster to see what it looks inside. The coolant number is VC13G but I’m not sure if that is the orange one or the bright yellow one. Hopefully the dealer didn’t just do a drain and refill for 200+$

OP
OP

catbus16

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Here’s the coolant out of reservoir. It is brighter but ford yellow coolant is almost Neon color. Do you think the dealer didn’t do a good job for a full flush?

IMG_1819.jpeg

IMG_1821.jpeg

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here’s the coolant out of reservoir. It is brighter but ford yellow coolant is almost Neon color. Do you think the dealer didn’t do a good job for a full flush?

Ford Bronco Concern about my coolant IMG_1821

Ford Bronco Concern about my coolant IMG_1821
It doesn’t look too bad. To be honest, the color really doesn’t make a difference as long as it’s the correct coolant. What matters is the acidity/concentration levels.

OP
OP

catbus16

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It doesn’t look too bad. To be honest, the color really doesn’t make a difference as long as it’s the correct coolant. What matters is the acidity/concentration levels.
I’m just worried the darker color means there’s leak/problem in engine, but I guess I will keep an eye on it then. Been learning car maintenance so maybe I’m just paranoid haha

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m just worried the darker color means there’s leak/problem in engine, but I guess I will keep an eye on it then. Been learning car maintenance so maybe I’m just paranoid haha
The color just naturally darkens over time. With 50k miles, it doesn’t seem abnormal at all from what I’ve seen. But like you mentioned, just keep an eye on it.
Sponsored