Sponsored

Anything scarier than running out of warranty... which extended warranty to get (if any)?

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is there anything scarier than a Ford running out of warranty? I'm reaching that point and I really don't know what to do. Keep the Bronco and get extended warranty or just sell it?

What would you do and if you get an extended warranty which one would you go for?

Edit: If you're a homer please exclude yourself. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are that afraid of it, I wouldnā€™t leave my house with it for fear of being stranded. Warranty is after the fact. All these new vehicles have some odd issues here and there but are mostly reliable. And the Bronco is no different. Hybrid Maverick I might be more concerned. AC is first big expense at about 5years seems the most common issue.

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently have a 2013 F350 and 2014 F550, both long out of warranty. Both requiring maintenance and random fixes.

I just got the F350 back from the shop after having the BCM replaced. $1900 later, it starts again.

It's still cheaper than buying a new one.

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I currently have a 2013 F350 and 2014 F550, both long out of warranty. Both requiring maintenance and random fixes.

I just got the F350 back from the shop after having the BCM replaced. $1900 later, it starts again.

It's still cheaper than buying a new one.
In hind sight should you have spent on an extended warranty? do you think it would have been worth it?

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
About to hit 170k on my daily driver F150. No extended warranty, no ragrets and no fears about it breaking down.

If you go extended, the only way to go is with the Ford ESP. Don't waste your time and money with 3rd party warranties. However, if you have properly maintained it, you should have no problem going 100k miles and beyond.

Sponsored

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In hind sight should you have spent on an extended warranty? do you think it would have been worth it?
For me no, the warranty I was offered on a ā€˜15 350 was an astronomical amount.
Iā€™d rather spend 1,500-2k than 75-100k on a new truck.

As for your Bronco, see what your dealer offers.
Warranty on a Bronco should be a lot less.
I was quoted a reasonable amount this time last year and bit the hook.

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got the extended warranty only because this is the first turbo I've owned. I'm old enough to remember the craptastic turbos of the 80s and 90s, so I hedged my bets. Having said that. the 2.3 4 pot is one of the most reliable engines I've ever owned. I've had many of them and none have given me problems.

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. The extended warranty expired 70,000 miles ago, doing me no good. I put a new turbo and exhaust manifolds on that same truck, both at ~145K miles.

The extended warranty in this case did me absolutely no good.

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can deal with the occasional fail, as long as Iā€™m not stranded horribly. Even Toyotas will eventually have problems, although statistically less than other makes.

My issue is when a car requires multiple trips to the shop in a relatively short time frame. Especially, when the repairs are exorbitant, as with German cars.

My rule of thumb is that most American cars wonā€™t start falling before 100K miles.

My experience has been that Toyotas are more reliable at higher mileages than American cars. Personally, I wouldnā€™t own a German car out-of-warranty, unless it was a non-daily driver toy that I was comfortable having as a money pit.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My thought on this has more to do with reliability ā€œin generalā€ and not a specific part. ā€œSystemsā€ (and a car is a system no different than a refrigerator or TV set), generally have a ā€œbath tubā€ curve for failures. Lots of issues at the start, a long period of reliability with few issues and then critical failures at the end of the productā€™s life.

Usually the manufacturer warranty covers the early-life failures and under ā€œnormalā€ usage you should be OK after that for a good while, other than wear-out stuff.

you can see this in good brands like Honda and Toyota. Accords and Corollas last forever. Itā€™s been awhile since I owned a Honda, but basically for them, change the oil every 3000 miles and change the rubber timing belt at 60k miles and you were good to go for a long time. Mine lasted almost 300k miles.

Then you have your not so good brands like Range Rover, Fiat, and Ford (sayings like Fix it again Tony and Found on Road Dead donā€™t just appear out of nowhere)

for these brands, in general, they suffer from a lot of ā€œissuesā€ that pop up up in what should be the long period of reliability and after the warranty expires and until the product reaches an eventual end of life (or major wear repair like a top end engine rebuild)

for a brand new model like the 6G Bronco and Fordā€™s less than stellar quality reputation, I opted for the 8 year extended warranty. I prefer to keep my cars a long time. The Bronco is only my 3rd car and the prior 2 went 18 years and 20 years respectively and I still have the 20 year car.

I am hoping there isnā€™t a really bad design flaw that will just be a money pit that will persist over time. I just want to be covered for things that fail prematurely.

One example of a bad design flaw in my E46 BMW is the cooling system. It just flat out becomes a time bomb around 90k miles and most if not all of it needs to be replaced at a cost of $2000. It sucks but that is just a horrible design decision by BMW and even the replacement parts suffer from the same fate. Any new owner who buys an E46 without detailed service records or doesn't immediately replace the whole cooling system is asking for trouble. Thatā€™s how bad this design flaw is.

Since I plan on keeping my bronco for a long time, the extended warranty was a reasonable insurance policy to cover me from new model issues and Fordā€™s (historical) poor record of quality. My hope is that the stuff that fails early will in fact fail early and get replaced for free and then I have some data to work off of to know what to watch for in the future and maybe even learn how to fix it myself instead of an overpriced dealer.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2011 F 150, negotiated the extended warranty. Never used it. So in a way I paid for an imaginary repair. 2018 Mustang GT, negotiated the extended warranty. Right before the warranty expired had an oil leak from the oil pan repaired. New oil pan PLUS the list of what they have to disconnect to simply get to the pan was unbelievable. In this case, I made out big time. It is nothing more than a bet. BTW, still own the F150 and the GT.

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My thought on this has more to do with reliability ā€œin generalā€ and not a specific part. ā€œSystemsā€ (and a car is a system no different than a refrigerator or TV set), generally have a ā€œbath tubā€ curve for failures. Lots of issues at the start, a long period of reliability with few issues and then critical failures at the end of the productā€™s life.

Usually the manufacturer warranty covers the early-life failures and under ā€œnormalā€ usage you should be OK after that for a good while, other than wear-out stuff.

you can see this in good brands like Honda and Toyota. Accords and Corollas last forever. Itā€™s been awhile since I owned a Honda, but basically for them, change the oil every 3000 miles and change the rubber timing belt at 60k miles and you were good to go for a long time. Mine lasted almost 300k miles.

Then you have your not so good brands like Range Rover, Fiat, and Ford (sayings like Fix it again Tony and Found on Road Dead donā€™t just appear out of nowhere)

for these brands, in general, they suffer from a lot of ā€œissuesā€ that pop up up in what should be the long period of reliability and after the warranty expires and until the product reaches an eventual end of life (or major wear repair like a top end engine rebuild)

for a brand new model like the 6G Bronco and Fordā€™s less than stellar quality reputation, I opted for the 8 year extended warranty. I prefer to keep my cars a long time. The Bronco is only my 3rd car and the prior 2 went 18 years and 20 years respectively and I still have the 20 year car.

I am hoping there isnā€™t a really bad design flaw that will just be a money pit that will persist over time. I just want to be covered for things that fail prematurely.

One example of a bad design flaw in my E46 BMW is the cooling system. It just flat out becomes a time bomb around 90k miles and most if not all of it needs to be replaced at a cost of $2000. It sucks but that is just a horrible design decision by BMW and even the replacement parts suffer from the same fate. Any new owner who buys an E46 without detailed service records or doesn't immediately replace the whole cooling system is asking for trouble. Thatā€™s how bad this design flaw is.

Since I plan on keeping my bronco for a long time, the extended warranty was a reasonable insurance policy to cover me from new model issues and Fordā€™s (historical) poor record of quality. My hope is that the stuff that fails early will in fact fail early and get replaced for free and then I have some data to work off of to know what to watch for in the future and maybe even learn how to fix it myself instead of an overpriced dealer.

I've bought used and new Fords. I've found that it's not the powertrains but what they build to put them in that causes the majority of the problems (including the dreaded "Ford rattle" on acceleration that has plagued every new Ford I've owned).

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not really, I planned for this at purchase by picking options I believed to be most reliable long term. Might have missed on the trans, TBD.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've bought used and new Fords. I've found that it's not the powertrains but what they build to put them in that causes the majority of the problems (including the dreaded "Ford rattle" on acceleration that has plagued every new Ford I've owned).
Iā€™ve never experienced the ā€œFord rattleā€ running good fuel and Iā€™ve had lots of Fords. The recommended octane is the bare minimum. Try not buying the cheapest fuel you can find because there are also additives in top tier fuel that help keep carbon deposits off the combustion area that can cause hot spots which promote spark knock ā€œrattle under acceleration.
Sponsored