Sponsored

Anything scarier than running out of warranty... which extended warranty to get (if any)?

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most of the Fords I’ve owned (quite a few) had over 100k miles on them when I bought them. Usually by the time the warranty expires all the bugs have been worked out. And any repairs that need to be done, I’m able to do myself.

What’s a “Homer”?
Sponsored

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve never experienced the “Ford rattle” running good fuel and I’ve had lots of Fords. The recommended octane is the bare minimum. Try not buying the cheapest fuel you can find because there are also additives in top tier fuel that help keep carbon deposits off the combustion area that can cause hot spots which promote spark knock “rattle under acceleration.

The "Ford rattle" has nothing to do with the engine. They all developed it after thousands of miles. I had an '02 Ranger that I took in when it did it while under warranty. They verified the rattle, tore the powertrain apart and attributed to a rando part that was not under warranty. I had the part replaced and, to no one's surprise, the rattle returned. I lived with it until I finally sold it 8 years later.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is there anything scarier than a Ford running out of warranty? I'm reaching that point and I really don't know what to do. Keep the Bronco and get extended warranty or just sell it?

What would you do and if you get an extended warranty which one would you go for?

Edit: If you're a homer please exclude yourself. Thanks!
Facts, so not being a homer. My 2010 Escape (which does not get a lot of miles as it sits at my summer house and only drives on small island roads and beaches) has had zero problems. Even wear and tear has been minimal. My 2016 Explorer which is at my main home and is a bigtime pavement driver, only wear and tear. Just replaced the alternator, but being 8 years old I consider that wear and tear. The Bronco? Who knows, but I don't expect much. Maybe the frameless windows inching up upon closing having a problem down the road. If you are too concerned, pay more in interest and constant payments and always lease whatever you drive as you will always have a warranty.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The "Ford rattle" has nothing to do with the engine. They all developed it after thousands of miles. I had an '02 Ranger that I took in when it did it while under warranty. They verified the rattle, tore the powertrain apart and attributed to a rando part that was not under warranty. I had the part replaced and, to no one's surprise, the rattle returned. I lived with it until I finally sold it 8 years later.
They all had the same problem and all you know is it was some “rando” part? Lol. Please elaborate what model Fords “all” developed this problem?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW X5, 2023 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This cracks me up a E46 is a 30 year old car. I came from BMW and routinely put 150-175k miles on them I have owned 7 in the last 20 years. The only one that gave me heart ache was my M4. And it was only routine maintenance nothing out of the ordinary.

Only cooling issues had was a hose let out at 7 years of age.

Ford scares me
For service since most ticket w tires are idiots from what I have experienced.

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The "Ford rattle" has nothing to do with the engine. They all developed it after thousands of miles. I had an '02 Ranger that I took in when it did it while under warranty.
4.0L I assume. The early ones had defective timing chain guides. Normally not a huge deal but those brainiacs put one on the back of the block so it has to be pulled for the job.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford scares me
For service since most ticket w tires are idiots from what I have experienced.
Not being rude, but then why did you buy a Bronco? I stick with Ford because I have not had problems. Maybe I'm lucky that way, but sounds like you should stick with BMW given your great experience with them. I had an E39 with no probs. Solid car.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most of the Fords I’ve owned (quite a few) had over 100k miles on them when I bought them. Usually by the time the warranty expires all the bugs have been worked out. And any repairs that need to be done, I’m able to do myself.

What’s a “Homer”?
I've lost count of how many Fords I've bought with 200k+ on them. Sure stuff does break here and there, but they were mostly cheap and easy to repair.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The correct answer is: Don't be poor.

I have 96k miles on my 2021 Bronco, I do have the extended warranty, but really I would not have purchased it had it not been for the 2.7 valve train issue and the rapidity of putting on the miles that I had. Now, if I were to get rid of it at 100k miles, I would be able to sell it with a 4 year/50k mile warranty (which is longer than factory).

When the warranty is up, I still won't be worried about it, I already worked out the bugs by 150k miles.

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They all had the same problem and all you know is it was some “rando” part? Lol. Please elaborate what model Fords “all” developed this problem?

My 88 ranger 4-cyl, my 02 4-cyl, my 06 v-6 mustang and my 16 fusion hybrid. All american made. My 69 4-cyl Cortina, my 73 4-cyl Capri and my 76 v-6 Capri never had the issue. Any other snarky remarks?

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
About to hit 170k on my daily driver F150. No extended warranty, no ragrets and no fears about it breaking down.

If you go extended, the only way to go is with the Ford ESP. Don't waste your time and money with 3rd party warranties. However, if you have properly maintained it, you should have no problem going 100k miles and beyond.
Truth. 250k on my 3.5 F-150 Ecoboost

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Facts, so not being a homer. My 2010 Escape (which does not get a lot of miles as it sits at my summer house and only drives on small island roads and beaches) has had zero problems. Even wear and tear has been minimal. My 2016 Explorer which is at my main home and is a bigtime pavement driver, only wear and tear. Just replaced the alternator, but being 8 years old I consider that wear and tear. The Bronco? Who knows, but I don't expect much. Maybe the frameless windows inching up upon closing having a problem down the road. If you are too concerned, pay more in interest and constant payments and always lease whatever you drive as you will always have a warranty.
I hate car payments because it is a depreciating asset so I try to make decisions for long term usage. I was thinking of a Toyo 4Runner instead of the Bronco but decided to give the Ford a run and buying the long term warranty was how I justified the reliability concerns. We will see if it works out.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 88 ranger 4-cyl, my 02 4-cyl, my 06 v-6 mustang and my 16 fusion hybrid. All american made. My 69 4-cyl Cortina, my 73 4-cyl Capri and my 76 v-6 Capri never had the issue. Any other snarky remarks?
I’d definitely not buy any more Fords if I were you.

Secampbell7

Heritage
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
We’ve owned Ford pretty exclusively since around 1998. We’ve had 1 issue with a head gasket on an 08 explorer out of; 2 rangers, 2 f150s, 2 explorers, an expedition, a focus, a festiva, an edge and now a Bronco. During that time we had a used TJ and a Mazda Protege 5 both of those were PoS vehicles. The fan-bros make up acronyms to justify their purchases. I use to have people make fun of my well running Festiva commuter while their Chevy truck sat in the shop.

My son’s used Impreza started leaking oil a month after he bought it, it got a new engine under an aftermarket warranty. That buy paid for itself in a month.

edit- spelling

Last edited:

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We’ve owned Ford pretty exclusively since around 1998. We’ve had 1 issue with a head gasket on an 08 explorer out of; 2 rangers, 2 f150s, 2 explorers, an expedition, a focus, a festiva, an edge and now a Bronco. During that time we had a used TJ and a Mazda Protege 5 both of those were PoS vehicles. The fan-bros make up acronyms to justify their purchases. I use to have people make fun of my well running Festiva commuter while their Chevy truck sat in the shop.

My son’s used Impreza started leaking oil a month after he bought it, it got a new engine under an aftermarket warranty. That but paid for itself in a month.

I had a Ford Aspire rental while the 02 Ranger was in the shop for the rattle. Worst car I've ever driven next to the 88 Tempo I was given as a rental (and it was new).
Sponsored