First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve got myself a bit of a dilemma that I’ll never do again and could use advice. I’m sort of freaking out.

Without going into too much detail, I didn’t think through the logistics for where I wanted to store my hardtop or the logistical concerns moving between obstacles to get it there.

My father and I took it off and intended to store it in my homes sunroom as there was no room for it in the garage. By the grace of god we somehow managed to tilt it on its side to get barely through TWO doorways inside being as careful as we could not to put weight on press on the glass. Why I didn’t stop before even trying IDK.

Anyway, we got it in safely and it’s currently in my sun room on my storage cart upside down (ie on its back so there’s no weight on any of the seals or windows) sitting safely with the back window closed

QUESTION: I have to get this hardtop back out this fall to put back onto the Bronco. Im planning to get 4 guys to help this time, but I can’t seem to game plan how to get it out without breaking it. :/. I’m afraid to put any pressure on the “legs”. But I have to almost tilt it upright to get if through the doorway. So afraid it will break? Where can I grab and lift safely without breakigg j?!???

Should I try taping cardboard on the outside of the windows so nothing taps and breaks the glass during the move?

I wonder if on its front edge if I could put it on padded furniture Dollie’s and roll it out standing on its head….dont know if that front lip can support the weight?

😔😔😔
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Would it be possible to try to
Transport the top to the garage on something like this work? Meaning can the top be resting like this?

IMG_3923.jpeg

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve got myself a bit of a dilemma that I’ll never do again and could use advice. I’m sort of freaking out.

Without going into too much detail, I didn’t think through the logistics for where I wanted to store my hardtop or the logistical concerns moving between obstacles to get it there.

My father and I took it off and intended to store it in my homes sunroom as there was no room for it in the garage. By the grace of god we somehow managed to tilt it on its side to get barely through TWO doorways inside being as careful as we could not to put weight on press on the glass. Why I didn’t stop before even trying IDK.

Anyway, we got it in safely and it’s currently in my sun room on my storage cart upside down (ie on its back so there’s no weight on any of the seals or windows) sitting safely with the back window closed

QUESTION: I have to get this hardtop back out this fall to put back onto the Bronco. Im planning to get 4 guys to help this time, but I can’t seem to game plan how to get it out without breaking it. :/. I’m afraid to put any pressure on the “legs”. But I have to almost tilt it upright to get if through the doorway. So afraid it will break? Where can I grab and lift safely without breakigg j?!???

Should I try taping cardboard on the outside of the windows so nothing taps and breaks the glass during the move?

I wonder if on its front edge if I could put it on padded furniture Dollie’s and roll it out standing on its head….dont know if that front lip can support the weight?

😔😔😔
Just set it in the backyard. Critters can sleep in it.

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You and your dad both know how it went in there, and the result was good. While your memories are fresh, talk at length about how it went in, and then get it out as soon as possible. And make sure he’s involved with the removal.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was going to recommend you get a cart for easy moving and storage. And I don't see why you couldn't store it in the inverted position as shown in the pic. No way it takes 4 guys to safely move the top. Also, I wouldn't worry about carrying it around or setting it down on the "legs" as it sits in that position all the time when on the vehicle (just be mindful of the pins on the bottom). You should also think about getting a ceiling mounted hoist for the garage so you can store it up and out of the way when not in use.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We don't get any crime scene photos or videos, so I'm not sure how this turned into a fiasco. I would guess securing the driver/passenger side flaps, closing the glass, and tilting it length up, you should be able to move it where you want? I don't know how four guys makes it any easier, either. Something like that furniture dolly should work.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You and your dad both know how it went in there, and the result was good. While your memories are fresh, talk at length about how it went in, and then get it out as soon as possible. And make sure he’s involved with the removal.
That’s the problem. I already have forgotten how it got through which is why I’m seeking alternatives and maybe a dolly or that cart above…does anyone know if the top can rest/be rolled on that front lip…

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was going to recommend you get a cart for easy moving and storage. And I don't see why you couldn't store it in the inverted position as shown in the pic. No way it takes 4 guys to safely move the top. Also, I wouldn't worry about carrying it around or setting it down on the "legs" as it sits in that position all the time when on the vehicle (just be mindful of the pins on the bottom). You should also think about getting a ceiling mounted hoist for the garage so you can store it up and out of the way when not in use.
I am doing a hoist because this is scary stuff trying to maneuver through these doors. My dad and I really struggled with it so we think 2
Others could help.

Also, since it’s on its back I need to find a way to flip it over. Ugh

That cart above looks like the best option EXCEPT I am concerned it might require the front lip hard top mounting plate to be removed and I’m not attempting that as I cannot see that going back together well without cracking the top

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by securing the side flaps(legs)? This might help me…

PDM

Outer Banks
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco Advice Needed:  Moving and Getting 2-Door Hardtop Safely Through Door IMG_39 move

Two people, one on either side holding it by these points and you will not have a problem. when you put it back down you can slide your balance hand up to the pillar point and tilt it over and lay it down.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Advice Needed:  Moving and Getting 2-Door Hardtop Safely Through Door IMG_39 move

Two people, one on either side holding it by these points and you will not have a problem. when you put it back down you can slide your balance hand up to the pillar point and tilt it over and lay it down.

This is super helpful. Thank you. On that photo, can the top rest for a bit or be moved safely on that “front lip” (IE can the weight of the top be put against the front lip as it would sit vertically on that cart?

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The 2-door top (back) is bigger than the 4-door. I've seen people rig up a furniture dolly with a larger platform to accommodate moving it around, but it will still be awkward and, like you said, just getting set on there might be an issue. The $1000 solutions pretty much assume you have an extra barn to store this apparatus, much less with a Roof component delicately balanced on it.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 2-door top (back) is bigger than the 4-door. I've seen people rig up a furniture dolly with a larger platform to accommodate moving it around, but it will still be awkward and, like you said, just getting set on there might be an issue. The $1000 solutions pretty much assume you have an extra barn to store this apparatus, much less with a Roof component delicately balanced on it.
Long term solutions I have covered. Right now I’m terrified of just getting it out of this sun room safely and trying only to figure out a game plan for this is keeping me up at night.

Do you think I can support its weight as shown on that cart (the weight is vertical on that lip)?

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Let me ask another question. Can these two plates serve as resting points safely when setting it down vertically? I REALLY don’t want to remove these plates from the hard top and risk cracking when putting them back on…

IMG_3924.jpeg

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Long term solutions I have covered. Right now I’m terrified of just getting it out of this sun room safely and trying only to figure out a game plan for this is keeping me up at night.

Do you think I can support its weight as shown on that cart (the weight is vertical on that lip)?
Get plenty of help and follow @PDM 's guidance. As long as no stress is put on the top, but that's the big worry, right?
Sponsored