First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariet, 2015 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 24 Big Bend manual transmission Bronco. I haven't seen this discussed but is 6th gear basically worthless because I have a manual transmission? I wondered if the auto 10sp fits the gearing better. I have a 21 Ranger and love the 10 sp as well but it is geared appropriately, it seems.
Ironically, I bought a new CJ7 in the 80s that had optional high gearing and it had the same problem, couldn't use 5th gear except on expressways, downhill with the wind on my back so it's just like old times except of course the Bronco is way better than the jeep!
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably more useful here out west where we have 80 mph speed limits in places.

I think I remember even an 85mph in Texas going through the panhandle.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's been discussed, but 5th and 6th are overdrive gears. You should be going really fast and not expecting to use them for "passing acceleration."

However, the 4.7 rear gearing makes it useful for my stock Badlands to accelerate on a 6-5 downshift, but the RPMs have to be there to get the turbo to cooperate.

The 10A was designed for fuel economy and good acceleration. It may feel more "appropriately" geared to you. It's often subjective whether the manual or automatic drives better. The rear gearing and tires are major factors along with the magic of rowing your own. I think the data would support the 10A as being smoother and better at picking gears--with more gears to choose from--than virtually any human being. That said, I have a manual and wouldn't want the 10A. It was great in my F150 as the 10R80, but trucks are floating couches now anyway.

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know what the Big Bend final gearing is but in my manual Badlands, I cruise 6th gear all the time, downshifting into 5th when I approach a steep grade. The biggest surprise to me was the fact that the cruise control does not kick off between shifts. That was a nice surprise and a real game changer for manual transmissions.

JKal

Base
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
On my Basesquatch I use 5th gear unless it's very flat or downhill. Have tested gas mileage in 250 mile consistent trips and found 5th to be better. I tend to stay between 70-75mph though so maybe at 80 things change. Also browsing through forums I found the focus rs (very similar engine different tune), cruises at similar highway rpms as 5th gear does on the bronco.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't know what the Big Bend final gearing is but in my manual Badlands,
All Manuals are 4.46, unless they are Sas or Badlands - then they are 4.7.

If 6th is useful depends greatly on the gearing, tire size, and amount of lift you have. Everything stock with no lift - you may get some use on highway cruising out of it.

I don’t ever use it on my Big Bend, and I rarely use 5th — but if I ever regear to 5.+ it will become very useful to have those gears

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use 6th all the time and I don't downshift for hills either. I live in an area with 60mph speed limits. The 4.70 gears on 33's is ideal gearing. The 2.3 has good low and mid range power if you learn to get used to it. The auto seems better to some of you because the computer knows when and how to shift better than most humans. I have the benefit of almost 40 years of professional driving experience on my side which helps me out. I could easily teach most of you how to get the most out of your 7mt and be happier with it. FYI the 7mt and the auto have a nearly identical final drive ratio so there is little difference when either are in top gear. A little food for thought would be learning about progressive(or short shifting) techniques. You'll get better performance and fuel mileage once you learn that. PS I never go over 2400 rpm,stay with traffic and average 19.7 to 20.7 mpg.

OP
OP
Duncan

Duncan

Black Diamond
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I use 6th all the time and I don't downshift for hills either. I live in an area with 60mph speed limits. The 4.70 gears on 33's is ideal gearing. The 2.3 has good low and mid range power if you learn to get used to it. The auto seems better to some of you because the computer knows when and how to shift better than most humans. I have the benefit of almost 40 years of professional driving experience on my side which helps me out. I could easily teach most of you how to get the most out of your 7mt and be happier with it. FYI the 7mt and the auto have a nearly identical final drive ratio so there is little difference when either are in top gear. A little food for thought would be learning about progressive(or short shifting) techniques. You'll get better performance and fuel mileage once you learn that. PS I never go over 2400 rpm,stay with traffic and average 19.7 to 20.7 mpg.

OP
OP
Duncan

Duncan

Black Diamond
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, I have driven sticks for only about 40 years, but I learned not to lug the engine especially in higher gears even though I know the 2.3 engine is rather torquey. I try to keep revs between 2.0 and 2.5 and my MPG is hanging at 22.8. Better than expected.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do you mean rarely, or do you truly mean never?

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All Manuals are 4.46, unless they are Sas or Badlands - then they are 4.7.

If 6th is useful depends greatly on the gearing, tire size, and amount of lift you have. Everything stock with no lift - you may get some use on highway cruising out of it.

I don’t ever use it on my Big Bend, and I rarely use 5th — but if I ever regear to 5.+ it will become very useful to have those gears
33’s with 4.46. I am in 5th 50+ and save 6th for 70+. I downshift for a steep grade or good acceleration.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond