First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I have already turned off communication with Ford in the Sync 4 infotainment settings (not looking to make this political or conspiratorial - just technical). Still there is a SIM card and modem buried behind the infotainment screen that could still be sharing my private driving data with Ford and data brokers. I have searched the 6G forum to answer to what I am asking without specific result. Fuse 20 under the dash is for the "telematics modem" but it also states in the owners manual fuse 19 is "ignition switch. headlamps". From the fuse diagrams I have been looking at fuse 19 and 20 seem to be integrated into the same three prong fuse, so if I pull that three prong fuse 19/20 I will disable the telematics modem and the ignition and headlights (no surprise Ford would make this hard). Am I correct on this? Is there a work around on pulling that fuse and maintaining ignition and headlights?
Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe try a different approach? Install an aftermarket head unit...... this obviously drives cost but may save considerable time and gives you the peace of mind you are looking for

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fuse 31 may kill the radio transceiver module. Probably still going to continue to gather data unless you pull wires from the connectors and keep the network wires. This may still cause network problems but it's worth trying. Only surefire way to keep data from going out is not to ever have a software update done and somehow wipe the telematics module off-line prior to selling the vehicle.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Fuse 31 may kill the radio transceiver module.
I think this may also disable the vehicle from starting though. It needs the RTM to send PATS information to the BCM.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fuse 31 may kill the radio transceiver module. Probably still going to continue to gather data unless you pull wires from the connectors and keep the network wires. This may still cause network problems but it's worth trying. Only surefire way to keep data from going out is not to ever have a software update done and somehow wipe the telematics module off-line prior to selling the vehicle.
Totally going to Thelma and Louise my Bronco into the nearest volcano when I'm done... lol 🌋

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think this may also disable the vehicle from starting though. It needs the RTM to send PATS information to the BCM.
Because it will kill the network? I assumed it would just kill the antenna but if it takes down the rear and side antennas too, that won't work.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because it will kill the network? I assumed it would just kill the antenna but if it takes down the rear and side antennas too, that won't work.
Well I think the key fob would still receive the signal from the PATS antenna, but then the fob needs to send out a signal to the RTM, which would never happen and prevent the BCM from getting the PATS information from the RTM.

Although starting it in the back up location may still work

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I think the key fob would still receive the signal from the PATS antenna, but then the fob needs to send out a signal to the RTM, which would never happen and prevent the BCM from getting the PATS information from the RTM.
I didn't look at individual circuits, that'll teach me.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
F19 and F20 are what is known as a Micro 3 fuse, two fuses in one package. So there are two fusible links, one for the lights and one for the transceiver module. Just cut one of the links then plug the fuse back in making sure that the link for the F19 position is intact so your lights will still work.

There's a chance that the Bronco might not like it since the transceiver module talks to the Gateway Module which handles Canbus communications. You might get an error code. So have a spare fuse handy before modifying F19/20.

The Bronco has two interior cellphone antennas. You might have better luck finding them and unplugging the cables to them. Hopefully the Telematics module won't notice.

Keep in mind you want to reverse anything you do when it comes time to sell your Bronco. Otherwise you might kill resale value.

Sponsored

topnotch2023

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was able to disable the modem with FORScan. I'm not sure if it keeps the telemetry from working, but I would assume it does.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although starting it in the back up location may still work
On a different note, I just got a 4 channel Pico scope for my techs and was curious to know if you have or have used one. If so, thoughts?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On a different note, I just got a 4 channel Pico scope for my techs and was curious to know if you have or have used one. If so, thoughts?
Nice! I don’t have one nor have I ever used one. The extent of my o-scope use was done with the vcmm in training classes and one other time I had a no start on an f150 for a ckp signal issue. Now days since I do probably 99% transmission work I just never really have the need for one. But they do look very nice!
Sponsored