Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We are actively working to bring manufacturing to the USA. While not ideal, the overwhelming feedback we got was that the price had to be lower so this was our option for the time being. More options will be available soon.
Stop defending your un-American behavior. Every 74Weld product is actually made in the US by American citizens supporting American families. I'd feel the same way about seeing a Broncbuster product at an event as if I saw their owner wearing a fur coat- just a classless and uncaring person - you know the type that only buys mud flaps for their front tires....
Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
HEAT!!!!! Helical cut gears create more heat. The steel housing will not shed that heat as well at the aluminum. What is the bearing design? That is one of the most important things... will the bearings hold up in a higher heat environment? Are the bearings properly designed to withstand all the lateral loading of a helical cut design? And if so can they withstand the additional heat? Will the gear oil withstand the additional heat?

How much more heat? We do not know. We have not even made a set yet. But it will be okay. Trust me.

Have ANY of the Tibus portals developed an oil leak? Expansion contraction is a bitch on seals.

Any time someone says I do not want to get more technical all I hear is "I do not know".... Many of us like getting technical. I like the physics and the math.

I can exactly tell you my Bronco with Portals and 13.5 width tires on +30 rims is 84 inches wide. I can tell you my 4.7 gearing with the 1.22 gearing equates to a 5.73 final ratio... a 34" tire x 1.22 = 41.48.... So anything smaller than a 42 inch tire will see a slight gear reduction.

And the reason for the question about portals on front with a long travel rear is because that is what the Broncos in the 4400 series are running...
**ignores all of the above**

“Helical is stronger” (it’s not)

“Straight cut is loud” (it’s not in this application)

“The steering knuckle is fine and we aren’t going to sell something you don’t need” (for sake of the conversation we’ll go ahead and not talk about the ridiculous tierod brace or the intermediate shaft sleeve or the insanely priced body lifts)

**later in same video**

“An upgraded steering knuckle is something we’re looking into as well”

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
He also won’t respond to inquiries regarding axial load produced by helical gears vs straight cut and what is being done to address the issue.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And here I was wondering if a new thread would ever unseat the "picture challenge" one (which is my most-loved thread in a good long while) as the new "best entertainment and captivating content".
And this one certainly has potential.
My how the turns have tabled.
Are you saying that thread should be checked out? This whole time I’ve ignored it not being interested in seeing how much branding people could fit on their vehicles

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Can you pass my quiz?
Ford Bronco A New Kind of Portal Bevel Gear Equations
Ford Bronco A New Kind of Portal bevel gear blank dims-Model

This is a first semester class quiz on gear design... These are a rather simple bevel cut gear... Helical gears are considerably more complicated....

I guess I am just trying to say I do know a little about gears... and I would NOT run a helical cut gear in a portal... I know Mercedes changed from straight cut to helical for the Unimog... But that was for marketing in a low powered slow moving vehicle.... Tibus just followed their lead. Good machinist but not an automotive engineer. Tyler is just following suit with NO understanding of the why....

Last edited:

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you pass my quiz?

This is a first semester class quiz on gear design... These are a rather simple bevel cut gear... Helical gears are considerably more complicated....
I just took it and graded myself and I made 123%! Man, Ima GENIUS!!! 🏆 :LOL:

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Snacktime must be rolling over in his profile giddy with glee at this development.
I am! Been shopping for portals on AliExpress.com and they only have plastic toy ones so far.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am! Been shopping for portals on AliExpress.com and they only have plastic toy ones so far.
Next broncbuster video-“let me tell you why plastic portals are better than billet aluminum. Any failures were planned out-I actually cut them on purpose for testing purposes or a different component failed taking it out”

DYak

Big Bend
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend Baby
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
And the reason for the question about portals on front with a long travel rear is because that is what the Broncos in the 4400 series are running...
Watching him struggle to comprehend this concept was painful. But at the same time, it shows that he's not a student of the game. There were something like 20 vehicles on 74Weld stuff at KOH with portal fronts and non-portal rears.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recommend the ballistic plastic with carbon fiber. There's one that blows bubbles, it's amazing.

Sponsored

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

CBP Trade protects the intellectual property rights of American businesses, safeguarding them from unfair competition, and use for malicious intent while upholding American innovation and ingenuity. CBP targets and seizes imports of counterfeit and pirated goods, and enforces exclusion orders on patent-infringing and other IPR violative goods.
Intellectual Property Rights | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

www.cbp.gov/trade/priority-issues/ipr

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/priority-issues/ipr#:~:text=CBP Trade protects the intellectual property rights of,orders on patent-infringing and other IPR violative goods.
I certainly makes for great headlines but in reality things don't move that fast unless you happen to be LVHM and they find a container load of fake handbags at the port.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CBP Trade protects the intellectual property rights of American businesses, safeguarding them from unfair competition, and use for malicious intent while upholding American innovation and ingenuity. CBP targets and seizes imports of counterfeit and pirated goods, and enforces exclusion orders on patent-infringing and other IPR violative goods.
Intellectual Property Rights | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

www.cbp.gov/trade/priority-issues/ipr

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/priority-issues/ipr#:~:text=CBP Trade protects the intellectual property rights of,orders on patent-infringing and other IPR violative goods.
how does help the original IP holder (Tibus) which is based in Germany on parts contracted out to mainland China and imported to the states?

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

a 10 degree helical cut will roughly convert about 10 ft/lbs of torque to heat on a bronco... Very rough top of the head guesstimate... You have a 1.5% power being converted to lateral loading. You can not create or destroy that energy, you can only change it... Therefore it is changed first to plastic deformation and then to heat.

AND this is not even accounting for the bearings that must resist that lateral loading by design.... can in no way be built as strong (as a straight roller bearing) in the same size package. To get them anywhere close to the strength the package/housing is going to have to increase to what? maybe 8 or 9 inch width? to fit a MUCH larger bearing pack that would be of equal strength.

Last edited:

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
a 10 degree helical cut will roughly convert about 10 ft/lbs of torque to heat on a bronco... Very rough top of the head guesstimate... You have a 1.5% power being converted to lateral loading. You can not create or destroy that energy, you can only change it... Therefore it is changed first to plastic deformation and then to heat.

AND this is not even accounting for the bearings that must resist that lateral loading by design.... can in no way be built as strong (as a straight roller bearing) in the same size package. To get them anywhere close to the strength the package/housing is going to have to increase to what? maybe 8 or 9 inch width? to fit a MUCH larger bearing pack that would be of equal strength.
Love this info
Sponsored