Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 f-250 Tremor 6.7L HO, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Braptors are being used to rock crawl all the time, and they do pretty well. 100k is like 50k to some people. A rocks version would definitely sell, and get used for crawling.
You should reach out to Ford marketing and let them know that they are missing a huge opportunity.
Sponsored

OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

How many people are going to pay upwards of $100k (BRaptor range) for a rig and actually take it out in the rocks and beat on it? A factory "rock crawler" is going to perform mediocre at best. Hard core crawlers are going to put that $100k into a buggy and go bananas with it. Don't forget, the factory built rigs have DOT, EPA, and a host of other alphabet agencies to comply with. The BRaptor has the advantage of actually being a great road vehicle which is where 99% will spend their lives. I seriously doubt you could get the same on road manners from a crawler.
I think you are missing my point. This is not a dedicated rock crawler just like the raptor is not a dedicated desert runner. If you wanted to make a dedicated rock crawler you would start by designing the suspension then work back to the cage.....(that would be my approach).....

I am absolutely floored by the road manners of this thing. It rides and tracks and maneuvers so well. All credit to 74 Weld and King and Accutune.... It is just more capable than it was stock when it comes to mountain trail running and rock crawling. Am I going to go beat the shit out of it? NO! I am going to run the trails and slowly, carefully pick my lines crawling some rocks trying to get to locations that I want to go to. IT IS NOT A ROCK BUGGY. NOT INTENDED TO BE.

Everything in this world is a compromise. It can not compete with the BRaptor running the fast lines in the desert. the BRator can not compete with the DR. the DR can not run on the road. But I bet I might have an easier time on the Rubicon than the BRaptor would, even though the BRaptor should be able to make the journey just fine, and has.

Last edited:

origiNOLE

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GS Corvette, 2023 Heritage Limited Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Incorrect. Ford wasn't responsible for that render. That was the work of Brian, a personal friend. He created the renders for the John Bronco Sells Heritage Edition thread. His work was recognized by Ford's engineers as they contacted him personally wondering how his renders were so accurate before the actual release of the Heritage Edition (note the date on his thread and know that he was working on them for a few months before). :cool:

I'm sure Brian would be happy to know that his work was part of your inspiration. But you need to understand the history behind the work.
I love this render. Using some of it for my build. Mine is a four door though. Winch going on, then lift and wheels and tires. Have everything but the build is taking awhile.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

How many people are going to pay upwards of $100k (BRaptor range) for a rig and actually take it out in the rocks and beat on it? A factory "rock crawler" is going to perform mediocre at best. Hard core crawlers are going to put that $100k into a buggy and go bananas with it. Don't forget, the factory built rigs have DOT, EPA, and a host of other alphabet agencies to comply with. The BRaptor has the advantage of actually being a great road vehicle which is where 99% will spend their lives. I seriously doubt you could get the same on road manners from a crawler.
Thats a funny take and completely not accurate except for the extreme comparison to a bouncer. I think sticking to the target use case of go anywhere applies better.

Sponsored
OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

4 words: “Solid Axle Front Suspension”
and I vehemently disagree..... The IFS is so very much better on road and while the solid axle has better articulation... I think I am just fine 3 wheeling it as long as I have the lockers. That is a trade off I will make any day of the week.

Love the MP reference though!

OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

There’s a Bronco on portals just down the road from me. (not 74weld though) One of Bronco Buster’s.
I agree with your idea. We don’t have many places here in tx with high speed trails. More slow technical rock crawling that need high clearance and the jeeps are inherently better for that.
EBB21C7F-BADD-47C1-87E6-0FF3139800EF.jpeg
While we have made some different choices on how to go about it....(parts, lift etc...) I do think we are trying to accomplish something similar.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One thing portals do is allow the diff to be dropped so you can set up with your tie rods, control arms and cv shafts level. The ability to use the full pivot of the cv joints both up and down without binding at full droop means more total articulation. The Bronco guys are setting up to have huge amounts of rear articulation but they get tippy off camber because they typically don’t have front articulation range of a solid axle. I have seen some very near bronco roll-overs on relatively easy stuff.

OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

One thing portals do is allow the diff to be dropped so you can set up with your tie rods, control arms and cv shafts level. The ability to use the full pivot of the cv joints both up and down without binding at full droop means more total articulation. The Bronco guys are setting up to have huge amounts of rear articulation but they get tippy off camber because they typically don’t have front articulation range of a solid axle. I have seen some very near bronco roll-overs on relatively easy stuff.
Everything is a compromise.... Everything.... It is all about finding which pros and cons work for you. If I were trailering to the trail I would be using a solid axle.... no question. But this I can drive on the road all day long without the fatigue that sets in after the constant correction a solid axle requires on the road. And yes I am very familiar with it having owned CJs, Cherokees, and grand Cherokees as well as a couple of solid front axle pick ups over the years.

EDIT: Actually I would design it around an IFS and not solid axle.... The best rock crawler buggies are all going IFS. That trend starts in the racing circuit.

Last edited:

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You should reach out to Ford marketing and let them know that they are missing a huge opportunity.
Ford’s involvement in king of the hammers tells me they are aware and could be cooking up something. I definitely have no pull with Ford and could never afford a $100k toy. I’m an enthusiast and Ford fan and would love to see the Broncos with a better reputation in rocks. All development trickles down to guys like me though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ford’s involvement in king of the hammers tells me they are aware and could be cooking up something. I definitely have no pull with Ford and could never afford a $100k toy. I’m an enthusiast and Ford fan and would love to see the Broncos with a better reputation in rocks. All development trickles down to guys like me though.
But that is exactly where the 74 Weld portals are coming from.... And even though they changed out the steering to a hydraulic set up for their 4600 stuff, that is what spurred Quinn at 74 to develop the steering rack they offer....

In fact it is that Steering Rack that I believe is even a bigger game changer than the portals!

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So Ford offers the BRapter edition that is designed for high speed desert running and is pretty darn good at rock crawling.

I think Ford should offer an edition designed for rock crawling and mountain trail running while decent at the desert running.

Desert running requires articulation and the Brapter takes the Bronco to the next level with that long arm suspension and fox coil overs.

Rock crawling and mountain trail running require more clearance, it is performed a slower speeds. Articulation is important but clearance is more important.

Since most Bronco Editions are named after a geographic location I propose this new edition be named the Boulder Mountain Edition.

Besides... Ford already released a rendering of this one back in 2020...

CORRECTION: Ford wasn't responsible for that render. That was the work of Brian. He created the renders for the John Bronco Sells Heritage Edition thread. His work was recognized by Ford's engineers as they contacted him personally wondering how his renders were so accurate before the actual release of the Heritage Edition

And that is the rendering I fell in love with.....

here-s-john-bronco-virtually-announcing-the-2021-ford-bronco-heritage-edition_3.jpg

So the real thing next to a raptor....

bronco vs raptor crop.jpg

and next to some Broncos....

Bronco next to broncos on lot..jpg

Price should be about the same as the BRaptor (at least this one was priced about the same).
First of all, this thing is SICK.

Second of all, I'm confused -- who exactly built this? And I'd love to hear more about what all is going on with the build. I can see you're on portals with King shocks. So is this just a Heritage Limited with ~40k of add-ons?

OP
OP
5GENIDN

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

First of all, this thing is SICK.

Second of all, I'm confused -- who exactly built this? And I'd love to hear more about what all is going on with the build. I can see you're on portals with King shocks. So is this just a Heritage Limited with ~40k of add-ons?
I built this and yes.....

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In summation: @5GENIDN wants Ford to offer 74Weld portals from the factory. With a cool $35k markup (D60 axle, boxed and all the trimmings), that would put the Rocky Mountain starting at $85,495 (BL + $35k). That would be a cool 2dr, no doubt. Cuz it should only BE a 2dr... 😁

Wonder how many they would sell? For a bunch of reasons, I don't see this happening, although I see them being offered on Ford Performance at some point and under warranty perhaps. Cool idea, though. Definitely would love to see a lovingly designed Rocky Mountain model with cool colors and perhaps some nifty mountain graphics.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

EDIT: Actually I would design it around an IFS and not solid axle.... The best rock crawler buggies are all going IFS. That trend starts in the racing circuit.
independent suspension is always better without space confines. Those buggies mount the engine behind the front axles centerline allowing very long control arms and a large amount of wheel travel. Trophy trucks also to some degree.
I bought a Gladiator while waiting on my Bronco and actually liked it a lot…. Except for it’s highway manners, though miles ahead of previous gen Wranglers. I still have a 4WD excursion on 35’s and it has all those solid front axle issues. Rides rough, road walks, prone to death wobble etc. Drove the Jeep to see my Bronco last weekend and test drive fighting a gusty cross wind. Had to fight the jeep to keep it between the lines at 75mph. The Bronco I could drive with one finger holding center of the lane no problem in the same cross wind same road. LOVE it. I pick it up Saturday.
Sponsored