First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I remember my dad (mechanic turned fleet manager) telling me when I bought the Buick Riviera that if a power window motor went out it would cost $160.00 to fix ($750.00 in todays dollars). The only thing I ever did to that car besides regular maintenance was brake jobs. Yeah, it would vapor lock in the mountains and got 10 miles per gallon but being what Sergio Pininfarina declared ā€œone of the most beautiful American cars ever built.ā€ in black lacquer with Cragar's, I didn't mind.
Hopefully you are talking about a 1963 Buick Riviera and not a 1983. šŸ’€
Sponsored

nabronco21

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco/2008 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plane jane is good with me, my daily is an 08 ranger 2wd 5 speed. Literally nothing in it and I love the truck. Wife gets to drive the bronco, I'm allowed to on the weekends though lol.

BRONCO_MARC

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With all the electrical gremlins and update issues, Would u give up modern tech? Simpler times circa 2000-2017 If it meant no/less problems.
Edit: Everything else on your Bronco is the same, Basically just no screen..lol my charging portals were dead from day 3, and screen is sketch anyway, did recently get the charger fixed.
I checked two and three above, meaning I love all the new tech in our Ford vehicles, especially the connectivity and Apple Play. Still, if I could get a Bronco with all the new tech and a CD player...

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With all the electrical gremlins and update issues, Would u give up modern tech? Simpler times circa 2000-2017 If it meant no/less problems.
Edit: Everything else on your Bronco is the same, Basically just no screen..lol my charging portals were dead from day 3, and screen is sketch anyway, did recently get the charger fixed.
Iā€™d absolutely love to order a new Bronco (or CJ-7) without any of the cabin or safety electronics. I do fine in my ā€˜02 Excursion with none of those things. But, I wouldnā€™t want to sacrifice modern engine management electronics and ABS as both of those have value way beyond the trouble they may cause. Basic A/C and optional cruise control would be nice if available. But I donā€™t need automatic braking, lane assist, GPS, an awful stereo, power windows and doors, Iā€™d also accept less power to avoid turbocharging that compromise drivability and maintenance. An old school 225 HP 5.0 would be just fine!

Sponsored

65CarryAll

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 2 door Blazer (ZR2)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
"Would you give up modern convenience?"

Easily. I never had or carried a smart phone so I suppose I never really adopted it in the first place!

I only occassionally carry a dumb phone and seldom ever look at or touch it. If there is a reason it may be needed a particular day (multi factor login authentician on work sites, or something special going on with wife) I try to remember to grab it. I find it quite pleasant and calming to be unconnected. I have yet to have an issue where I needed or wished I had a phone when I didn't have one.

Wife set up our '22 F-150 with Apple CarPlay (?) and it works just fine. (when she and her phone are in the truck!) When I'm alone am/fm is more than enough for me.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2002 trans am is the perfect getaway from new technology, but new enough to avoid the older hassles. I have airbags, A/C, ABS and traction control, fuel injection. But, I also have a CD player and play CDs because there is something cathartic about putting in an album and listening to it, rather than wondering what pandora will choose next. I also love the analog gauges ;)

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Still drive my 2001 Base Super Duty to work once or twice a week. But I am thinking of upgrading the headunit soon!!!

image0 (1).jpeg
image2.jpeg
Damn! My '98 Ranger at least had a cassette player!

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As many of you are waxing lyrical about how amazing "non-tech" American made cars were, I'd kindly suggest taking a gander at the totally awesome and not self-defeating manufacturers strategy known as Planned Obsolescence. What is that you say?

[...] the concept of policies planning or designing a product with an artificially limited useful life or a purposely frail design, so that it becomes obsolete after a certain pre-determined period of time upon which it decrementally functions or suddenly ceases to function, or might be perceived as unfashionable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Ever wonder why there aren't that many 80's and 90's cars around? And why Toyota and Honda et al were able to eat the Big 3's lunch? I'd rather they'd put less technology in (it happens to fit fairly well into the strategy above) to improve reliability by omission, but that doesn't automatically mean it'll be a car where the windows won't fall out or the doors fall off after six years.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd trade my girl in if they had a "Bones" edition, which was bare bones without tech. I got my phone for Navi, and I hate all the useless electronics, so if they had it simplified and mechanical, then sign me up

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hate the auto-headlights
I like the auto high beam
Turned the auto highs off before I left the dealership. I was talking about the low beams that turn on and off over and over when driving to work in the morning because they come on ever time you drive through the shadow of a tree or light pole, and the dash lights brighten and dim along with them.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, I guess we will never know what a 2000-2017 Ford Bronco was, as they were discontinued after 1996. I had my share of issues with my 1979 & my 1992 Broncos, so I am just thrilled with what my 2022 Bronco Base model is for me. A/C, cruise control, power windows, back-up camera, auto locking hubs, better clutch with better gearing for road trips..... I will keep my 2022 tech & remember the old days only on the limited days that were trouble free & often very few in number. šŸ˜‰

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, old times- even roll down windows is fine for me. Manual transmission, roll down windows, CD player and FM radio is all I need. AC and cruise control would be nice too. Easy to use controls too- with dials or levers.

I LOVE my 87 Chevy Squarebody short bed 4 X 4. It is pretty much the above, less AC and Cruise Control. But it's geared to pull a house down with granny low and only 3 usable forward gears for the street. If it only had a normal 5 speed it would be the perfect truck.

JEMSA

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Bronco, 82 F350, 91 MX5, 93 MX5, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The reason I bought a 6G was that I took a contract in a place were A/C is necessary (54 days in a row over 110F last summer) Iā€™ve a daily driving 1st gen that Iā€™ve had since the mid 80ā€™s, for this discussion practically stock - that is manual drum all for corners, 3 spd, stock ignition, 6 turn manual steering box. I admit Iā€™ve some peace of mind knowing I can fix (or jury rig) everything. I did install a high capacity blower but still keep a blanket for winter, always carry spare points, condenser, coil, and fuel filter. Tools. The 6G outperforms in EVERY respect, except I doubt it will be maintainable stock condition in 50 years - where will the computer parts and updates be when no longer supported by OEM? Whereas my 1970 would still be drivable in stock form. But doubt anyone would want to drive it then, presuming it is still legal to operate on public roads. But not having to worry about brakes after splashing through a rain puddle? Looks? My 1970 is a brick on wheels. It was laughed at in the 80ā€™s - surprises me people insist 6G styling doesnā€™t measure up.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s like you donā€™t remember the old times and are just nostalgic.

Make this poll fair, and talk about gas fumes in the cabin, flooded engines that wonā€™t turnover if itā€™s below 60 degrees, no A/C, window rollers breaking off, 10mpgs, tires that last 20k miles and donā€™t grip in cold weather, brakes locking up when you look at them funny, lack of airbags, rust EVERYWHEREā€¦I could go on.

nobody would argue that old cars looked better, but they were/are a chore to drive.

itā€™s a no from me dawg.
It was never that bad. My 60's and 70's Fords were far more reliable than anything I've owned in the last 10 years. Everything you mentioned was not the norm. Of the 16 f series trucks I've owned none of them were as bad as 10 mpg, none rusted out, no brakes ever locked up and never had any trouble starting in midwest winters, and they were not hard to drive. Dang sure never had to worry about software updates. And safety wise must have been ok after nearly 60 years I'm still here.
Sponsored