Sponsored

Why does Ford web site state winch kit only fits Factory installed modular bumper ??

krman

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2DR Bronco , 68.5 CJ Mustang FB, 2011 F350 KR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I found a used modular bumper to install on my badlands and now found a ford OEM factory winch mount but when looking at unit on Ford web site it clearly states that it only works with factory installed modular bumpers and NOT with modular bumpers installed after the sale ?? I see where software changes need to be made to allow airbags to work properly as well ? Anybody have issues with install later and what would be different ?
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was kinda wondering the same thing.

If it's just a bracket with the Zeon 10 winch...

I'm guessing it's got to do with the intercooler mounts - if you have the plastic bumper you have tow hooks welded onto those mounts - the factory Mod bumper does not, the tow hooks bolt in. Not sure if the capable bumper is the same way or not. But that was the only thing I could think of... if you just cut off the tow hooks when you installed the mod bumper, you may not have the proper mounts for the winch to bolt into. But if you changed out those brackets when you upgraded, seems like you'd be good to go.

But that's just a guess on my part. I can't imagine anything different on the electrical side - but it's possible.

The software change was curious as well. No other winch install requires one to my knowledge - I had asked this before (I can't find the thread off hand, but it's around here somewhere). The general consensus (but I don't know if it was a certified answer) was that Ford changed the airbag deployment settings a bit for liability reasons to account for increased equipment on the front bumper, and it didn't really affect anything.

OP
OP
krman

krman

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2DR Bronco , 68.5 CJ Mustang FB, 2011 F350 KR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my case I have the capable bumper with sensors and 360 camera, no adaptive cruise control. I picked up a modular bumper that has holes for sensors. Now that I'm looking at Fords optional mount it makes me wonder if I should be going aftermarket. See below for the laundry list I pulled directly from web site listing the Ford kit :

1. Requires Airbag Safety System software update to ensure proper airbag deployment. Requires Ford Vehicle Software for Installation*

2. Must have a Modular Front Bumper as a Factory Option. The winch is NOT compatible with Modular Front Bumpers added after the sale

3. LED Headlamps with LED Signature Lighting are required for FMVSS compliance. Winch placement affects the forward lighting projected performance. Only available on Big Bend, Outer Banks, Badlands, and Wildtrak.

If equipped:

Front Bumper Park Aid must be deactivated using Feature settings. For vehicles equipped with Front Bumper Park Aid Sensors, the system will detect the Winch causing a continuous warning sound. Customers desiring a winch can select "long-term" disable. This completely disables front parking aid. Press Features on the touchscreen, press Driver Assistance select Park Aid Front Sensors Off. Park aid re-location brackets are not available.

For vehicles equipped with 360 Degree Camera Option, Winch installation position diminishes front camera view.
Front camera system switches 'on' with vehicle mode set to Mud/Sand, Rock Crawl, or Baja. See Owner's Manual for feature function: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/ownerinformation

LUX Package Radar Adaptive Speed Control must be set to 'normal' using Featured settings. The radar bracket is behind the winch, a driver message "Adaptive Cruise Not Available Sensor Blocked" will be present. Customers desiring a Winch can change Cruise preferences Press Driver Assistance select Cruise Control select Normal. A radar re-location bracket is not available.

Special Tools for installation

* Installation Requires a Ford Dealer or Qualified Technician to ensure proper airbag deployment.

* Requires additional Ford Vehicle Software (RCM Airbag Calibration).

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I looked at the Ford winch kit but it looked like an afterthought the winch sits above frame, blocks camera, costly. I got a BAMF bumper and a Warn winch with control box relocation bracket and cables. Very clean install. Park sensors option allowed me to move harness/sensors to new bumper. I don’t have ACC. I moved Diode Dynamics LED pods to new bumper.
Ford Bronco Why does Ford web site state winch kit only fits Factory installed modular bumper ?? IMG_9449

Ford Bronco Why does Ford web site state winch kit only fits Factory installed modular bumper ?? IMG_9481

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolute speculation on my part, but I suspect all of the detailed instructions you posted have to do with making the complete Ford factory installed winch system meet NHTSA crash requirements. When investigating how to strengthen the frame horns for my Mod bumper RC high mounted warn 12k winch I spent a fair amount of time studying Ford’s installation instructions and parts list. It’s clear to me there’s a well thought out system to transfer crash loadings onto the frame. I ended up using LOD brackets as opposed to fabricating something along the lines of what Ford did.

Enough speculating. Perhaps someone truly knowledgeable on these things can chime in.

Sponsored

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harleys, Ducatis, 2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

“3. LED Headlamps with LED Signature Lighting are required for FMVSS compliance. Winch placement affects the forward lighting projected performance. Only available on Big Bend, Outer Banks, Badlands, and Wildtrak.”

I assume my BD doesn’t have LED headlamps.
Should I care about FMVSS compliance? I tried to look it up and got lost in Federal regulations.

I was just thinking about when I worked in a full service gas station and we sold headlights. IIRC, there were 3 different ones; low beam, high beam and combo high/low. Things were so much simpler back then …

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

“3. LED Headlamps with LED Signature Lighting are required for FMVSS compliance. Winch placement affects the forward lighting projected performance. Only available on Big Bend, Outer Banks, Badlands, and Wildtrak.”

I assume my BD doesn’t have LED headlamps.
Should I care about FMVSS compliance? I tried to look it up and got lost in Federal regulations.

I was just thinking about when I worked in a full service gas station and we sold headlights. IIRC, there were 3 different ones; low beam, high beam and combo high/low. Things were so much simpler back then …
Yeah I don't get that one either.

I mean, I get - you add weight to the front, that will pull the front end down, the headlamps will be required to be re-aimed.

But both the Signature and non-Signature are LED headlamps (Signature lamps are a bit brighter and have an LED ring around the outer edge), and both have an adjustment screw on them to re-align them. You have to do that any time you affect the stance of the vehicle anyway - you change the suspension, different sized tires, heck, even if you are just towing a trailer and it drags the back end down.

I don't know what makes the Signature different in regard to this though.

I did a lot of investigation when I was adding in my fog lamps on State Law - my low beam headlights and fogs have to have a cutoff line at 5" below center of the lamp at 25' distance, and center of the lamp can be no more than 42" from ground (something like that, I may have the exact numbers off a bit). And my non-signatures can do that pretty easy - the cutoff line may not be as clear or sharp as the signature, but it isn't exactly unrecognizable either.
Sponsored