First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq 5!
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm in the market for a Bronco and there are a bunch of '23 Wildtraks around me that are selling at an attractive discount vs. their '24 counterparts. What I want to know is what I should be looking for when I'm checking them out. At this point I don't know what I don't know, so I'm looking for some guidance from those who have spent more time on the forum or who have '23 Wildtraks themselves.
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You definitely want an 2.3L MT w/e-disco... lol The WT is supposed to be the top-of-the-line "desert" version, so it's already pretty nice: 2.7L 10spd w/Fox 2.5" shocks, upgraded steering components (HOSS 3.0), a "fancier" interior that some people don't like, etc. I don't think Ford really lets you mix and match a lot of the core stuff.

The WildTrak doesn't have that many options compared to the others; it's mostly a package deal. For instance, it has Sasquatch even if it doesn't say so. I would say look for the High package, so you get the 12" screen, and ignore the Lux package, which I feel is overpriced. [Edit: High package was discontinued in 2024; every one gets the 12" screen starting from then.]

If you want to off road with it, maybe look for the Trail Armor rock rails and mod steel bumper options; sometimes that gets added based on how it was optioned.

Also, not sure how this goes on the WT, but the accessory switches are a hard-to-install option and IMO worth it if it has it. I think some people think the tow package isn't really necessary, since you can add it later.

One other thing, the tri-color paint (like Hot Pepper Red) looks awesome, but they can be a problem to fix if you mess up the paint. For me I'm glad I didn't get one. But they are very nice looking rides.

Last edited:

BleednBlue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco; 2018 4Runner; 2008 GX470
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

New 2023s? If yes, they've been sitting on a lot for a while. Check battery and for flat spots on the tires.

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
New 2023s? If yes, they've been sitting on a lot for a while. Check battery and for flat spots on the tires.
May also want yo consider the Badlands. Great overall capability and comes standard with many great options and features

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Title of the thread says used. Look underneath for off-road damage. Usually the rear lower shock mounts show rock damage first because they are low. Transmission cross members/angle braces (V6 models) are easily damaged also.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Title of the thread says used. Look underneath for off-road damage. Usually the rear lower shock mounts show rock damage first because they are low. Transmission cross members/angle braces (V6 models) are easily damaged also.
Interesting. I would think the used 23 WTs wouldn't be discounted that much, while the new ones would be. That's what the post says, although it does specify used in the subject. 🤷‍♂️

Personally, if you look under and see scrapes and/or mud caked on stuff, it was probably off roaded. Also chunks missing from the tires, trail stripes (especially on the top). Here the flat steps that the WT comes with can help prevent a lot of the flung rocks the GY Territories do to the rocker panels. On the interior, torn seats and damaged plastics.

Last edited:

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look closely at the hard top if it has one. Any bubbles, cracks, spiderwebbing (under the side windows), etc. If you look closely enough and in the right lighting, I'll bet that you won't find any without one of these defects. If you want a hardtop, do yourself a favor and buy a soft top Bronco and then go buy the Turn Offroad hardtop.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Look closely at the hard top if it has one. Any bubbles, cracks, spiderwebbing (under the side windows), etc. If you look closely enough and in the right lighting, I'll bet that you won't find any without one of these defects. If you want a hardtop, do yourself a favor and buy a soft top Bronco and then go buy the Turn Offroad hardtop.
These.

Plus check the doors and the windows. Open them all, see how they feel.

On the test drive you absolutely need to get up to highway speeds for a couple of miles. A lot of dealerships will have you go on a short little 35 mph loop, most cars feel fine then.

Listen for noise, vibrations, etc.

OP
OP

badchipmunk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq 5!
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Awesome, thanks y'all. I once had a '91 Wrangler and so I'm quite familiar with the gremlins those could attract. The Bronco is a new one entirely, and I've read there have been some very interesting issues related to the powertrain, but I thought I'd ask to see if folks knew of other gremlins I should look out for. Appreciate it!

G1D1UP

Wildtrak
First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As a WT owner, I've done several mods to the Bronc. All very cool and completed successfully with no issues. If the vehicle is used, just make sure there aren't any crazy, upside down mods that the character before you might have "attempted" or completed in a shoddy manner. Thinking specifically about wiring items to your on-board aux switches. If you see the Bluetooth disco ball and aux switch-controlled cappuccino maker in the dash... you might wanna run...

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm in the market for a Bronco and there are a bunch of '23 Wildtraks around me that are selling at an attractive discount vs. their '24 counterparts. What I want to know is what I should be looking for when I'm checking them out. At this point I don't know what I don't know, so I'm looking for some guidance from those who have spent more time on the forum or who have '23 Wildtraks themselves.12"
Why are you set on a Wildtrak? Asking because most of the time they haven't really been that special, and people were spending a lot of money just for the name. For MY 24 all you get with it is shocks and $20 worth of gloss Paint. That surely doesn't seem worth it when you can buy a like equipped Heritage Edition for $10,000 less. It was mentioned earlier to get the High package for the 12" screen, however I believe the starting MY23 all Bronco's have the 12" screen.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't think you could get a 8" screen in MY23 or MY 24, perhaps I'm mistaken.
The High package was discontinued in 2024 and with it the 8" screen. I may have mentioned High package in regards to 2024 (I haven't scrolled up to check), if I did I was wrong becuase it's only relevant 21-23.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you see BRONCBUSTER on the tierods and don’t plan on upgrading the factory steering rack, back away or ask for another $2000 off the price to pay for a new rack when it fails😂

Really that applies to any of the tierod braces, sleeves, or upgrades unless the rack has been upgraded significantly. (Upgraded is not bushings)
Sponsored