Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How is everyone keeping track of how much line is left on the drum? I am thinking maybe electrical tape? Like one piece of tape when there is 2 wraps left, two pieces one there is 1.5 wraps left, and 3 when you are at one wrap left?
Sponsored

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How is everyone keeping track of how much line is left on the drum? I am thinking maybe electrical tape? Like one piece of tape when there is 2 wraps left, two pieces one there is 1.5 wraps left, and 3 when you are at one wrap left?
I have not done anything yet, but I've seen guys just tie an orange or yellow trail marker tape at like 10ft/5ft/1ft of winch line left. This is the stuff you see loggers or hunters tie around trees. It's not adhesive and it's weatherproof. I'd just cut like a foot segment off and then tie it in the middle at where you want to mark your line. Then when you see that pop out of the fairlead port, you know what you've got left.

https://a.co/d/ilCyenv

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Spray paint the last 10 wraps or so red.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For those who have installed this with the 2.7, did you have to remove the rear shutters like in this video too?

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'll answer my own question and used this thread as a guide to do the same as he did in case another 2.7 person wants to take this project on:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...stall-2-7-w-capable-bumper-warn-vr-evo.89271/

I did the same and shorted the RC bracket, and cut/redrilled the oil cooler bracket to clear the shutters vs removing them.

53711843378_00b61a376f_4k.jpg
Untitled by MJH Creations, on Flickr
53711843268_fba66ae0db_4k.jpg

Another question for those who installed this with the Mod bumper, did you use the frame shims for the front bumper? It appears in the video I posted above it was omitted. Since this tray is never pulling on the bumper in any way I would assume it can be omitted?

Sponsored

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2.7 Warn install here. I have plastic bumper and did not run into this issue. I did not have to modify any plastics and honestly don't even recall seeing that. I have a '22 OBX.

mvilla

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-door Badlands Bronco w/ Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll answer my own question and used this thread as a guide to do the same as he did in case another 2.7 person wants to take this project on:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...stall-2-7-w-capable-bumper-warn-vr-evo.89271/

I did the same and shorted the RC bracket, and cut/redrilled the oil cooler bracket to clear the shutters vs removing them.

Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount 53711843268_fba66ae0db_4k
Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount 53711843268_fba66ae0db_4k

Another question for those who installed this with the Mod bumper, did you use the frame shims for the front bumper? It appears in the video I posted above it was omitted. Since this tray is never pulling on the bumper in any way I would assume it can be omitted?
I used the bumper shims on mine, but I don’t really like how it makes the bumper stick out a little bit. I assumed it was needed to clear the front of the skid plate, but if it’s not needed I will definitely be taking them off.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2.7 Warn install here. I have plastic bumper and did not run into this issue. I did not have to modify any plastics and honestly don't even recall seeing that. I have a '22 OBX.
IIRC the rear shutters started on the 23 models (if that is what you are referring to)

I used the bumper shims on mine, but I don’t really like how it makes the bumper stick out a little bit. I assumed it was needed to clear the front of the skid plate, but if it’s not needed I will definitely be taking them off.
I'll let you know but I know they didn't in that video. I'm currently stuck making all my wiring right now so it's taking some time.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is finally almost done (I work slowly 😅 ) but I have everything tested and functioning the way I had hoped. I am using a Smittybilt x2o 10k synthetic winch with wireless capabilitys. I clocked both the motor and the clutch to face forward. This helped me be able to make all the new wires for the winch solenoid and I can easily access them by only removing the skid.

53735867257_084546cc26_4k.jpg

Winch free spool is activated using a long 1/2" extension. Only time it will be an issue is if I am buried maybe, but at that point I don't think waiting for the line to spool out electronically is going to be an issue.

53735867097_daf4c92506_4k.jpg
53737129734_ff09f64ca6_4k.jpg
53735867277_b3ad976df5_4k.jpg

Lastly is solenoid is located via a bracket here:

53736813816_ad881f0701_4k.jpg

And isolator mounted here:

53736813751_d01f21fd3b_4k.jpg

The main goals were to not need to open the hood for normal winch operation. Will only need to if the remote in the battery dies and it can't operate wirelessly anymore.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I got the bumper mounted up last night and did not need those shims. (y)
Sponsored