Sponsored

Ugly Sun Visor Warning Label removal?... Covers?

yourbudjim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Soft-top High Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Final update:

Ended up taking the visors out all together - that was a good suggestion and easy to do (1 7mm bolt and it has a clip that slides forward to come out).

So, alcohol wouldn't touch this glue.

GooGone - the regular stuff - wouldn't touch it.

I had this GooGone for Super Glue stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-FG678-Remover-Strength/dp/B07NP8NZ5F

That stuff... well. It kinda worked. It would melt the glue pretty quickly - can see it turn white. But it dries or evaporates really really fast, and once it does, the glue re-hardens.

So, I started out wetting it down, and wiping with a paper towel while it was still wet. That was a bad idea. It more smears than comes up, and it dries so fast and gets sticky again bits of paper towel go everywhere.

So I moved to shop towels. That worked... better, but not perfect.

I got almost all the glue off. But cleaning that up, the chemical was harsh enough to make the plastic look off. It has a dull matte look to it now where the chemical was.

So - long story short... stickers. Go with the stickers. I'll let mine sit and see how a bit of dirt goes with it, but it looks horrible, and I'll probably end up with some visor covers at some point.
Brian,
I wish I had read your post prior to embarking on a long and painful process surprisingly similar to yours. Yep, another vote from a guy who tried removing the factory stickers. Just buy stickers to cover them.
Jim
Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After going out over the weekend - dirt didn't help it any. It was bugging me so I pulled the visors again and spraypainted the bottom side flat black to see if that would at least get them consistent again where the chemical changed the plastic - that helped considerably, and most of the time it almost looked like I had hoped, but you could still see the drip lines from the chemical in the vinyl when the light hit it just right. So I pulled the trigger on the Bartac covers.

Expensive DIY project for what I thought was going to be just stickers, I suppose, but live and learn.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Bartac covers came in today, and they fit well, but wow are they ~fat~. They have a lot of padding. So much so that it looks like my visor is now a cop wearing a bullet proof vest that ate too many donuts. It can barely stay in the clip when it's closed. Not sure how long those zippers are going to survive dangling down either.

It's so fat, if I actually use the Molle panel for anything, it's hanging down in the middle of the windshield, and the sunglasses clip they sell for it won't fit on the top side and let the visor close.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
After going out over the weekend - dirt didn't help it any. It was bugging me so I pulled the visors again and spraypainted the bottom side flat black to see if that would at least get them consistent again where the chemical changed the plastic - that helped considerably, and most of the time it almost looked like I had hoped, but you could still see the drip lines from the chemical in the vinyl when the light hit it just right. So I pulled the trigger on the Bartac covers.

Expensive DIY project for what I thought was going to be just stickers, I suppose, but live and learn.
Thanks for sharing the results. I've got various chemicals in the garage, and was going to have a go at the visor stickers, but per your results will hold off. Maybe the sticker cover approach is the easy compromise.

OP
OP
KRAKEN

KRAKEN

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 DOOR BRONCO, 2014 F150 XLT, 2006 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wish Katzkin or someone would make a simple leather slip on cover... they would sell like hotcakes.

Sponsored

Appalachia_Ewok

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 PT Cruiser, '62 DeVille, '96 XJ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I find it funny how different people/projects are.

I actually bought reproduction warning stickers for my XJ sun visors. I'm redoing the fabric on the headliner/sun visors and wanted it to look stock lol.

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Final update:

Ended up taking the visors out all together - that was a good suggestion and easy to do (1 7mm bolt and it has a clip that slides forward to come out).

So, alcohol wouldn't touch this glue.

GooGone - the regular stuff - wouldn't touch it.

I had this GooGone for Super Glue stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-FG678-Remover-Strength/dp/B07NP8NZ5F

That stuff... well. It kinda worked. It would melt the glue pretty quickly - can see it turn white. But it dries or evaporates really really fast, and once it does, the glue re-hardens.

So, I started out wetting it down, and wiping with a paper towel while it was still wet. That was a bad idea. It more smears than comes up, and it dries so fast and gets sticky again bits of paper towel go everywhere.

So I moved to shop towels. That worked... better, but not perfect.

I got almost all the glue off. But cleaning that up, the chemical was harsh enough to make the plastic look off. It has a dull matte look to it now where the chemical was.

So - long story short... stickers. Go with the stickers. I'll let mine sit and see how a bit of dirt goes with it, but it looks horrible, and I'll probably end up with some visor covers at some point.
Well at least the engineer's at Ford got one think perfect... Adhesive for the airbag stickers!!!!!

Thanks for your do-diligence I will be buying from sticker-fab

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs