First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I noticed today that my Raptor with less than 900 miles on it seems to be shifting from 1st to 3rd gear in normal driving conditions around town. The shift is completely smooth, I only noticed by watching the digital gauge cluster. Is this normal or a concern?

I’ve taken it rock crawling twice since I got it. Not sure if that’s relevant to this or not though. I know the Raptor has a jerky shift from 1 to 2 in 4L/rock crawl mode, but also not sure if that’s relevant either.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wilbersk

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As long as it’s smooth - no problem
Not gonna wear out the gears unevenly or cause problems later? It’s definitely rough in 4L/rock crawl shift from 1 to 2, but again that seems to be a widespread thing and I’m not sure it’s related to this.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

1-3 is a completely normal shift strategy for the 10R

OP
OP
wilbersk

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
1-3 is a completely normal shift strategy for the 10R
Well that’s comforting to hear. Does seem weird but I’m sure there’s a reason for it.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well that’s comforting to hear. Does seem weird but I’m sure there’s a reason for it.
Just overall efficiency. It doesn’t need to hit all 10 gears for normal driving when a lot of the gear ratios are close together.

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I noticed today that my Raptor with less than 900 miles on it seems to be shifting from 1st to 3rd gear in normal driving conditions around town. The shift is completely smooth, I only noticed by watching the digital gauge cluster. Is this normal or a concern?

I’ve taken it rock crawling twice since I got it. Not sure if that’s relevant to this or not though. I know the Raptor has a jerky shift from 1 to 2 in 4L/rock crawl mode, but also not sure if that’s relevant either.
I brought my black diamond into the dealership to check on what I thought was uneasy downshifting, very harsh when slowing down that would be like a clunk. The dealer test drove with me and noticed it, but said that these 10 speed transmissions will sometimes skip a gear, whether in acceleration or deceleration and said it was completely normal. It still doesn’t seem right to me as I’ve never had clunking issues in any other car even with 8 speed transmissions, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

OP
OP
wilbersk

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I brought my black diamond into the dealership to check on what I thought was uneasy downshifting, very harsh when slowing down that would be like a clunk. The dealer test drove with me and noticed it, but said that these 10 speed transmissions will sometimes skip a gear, whether in acceleration or deceleration and said it was completely normal. It still doesn’t seem right to me as I’ve never had clunking issues in any other car even with 8 speed transmissions, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
Mine in normal drive modes is completely smooth. I’d be a little concerned about clunking too I don’t blame you.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

These are also adaptive transmissions - they will change their shift points based on your driving behavior. There is a reset you can run in Forscan (or some ODB tools). They also used to reset if you just pulled the battery for a few minutes, not sure if the new ones do or not.

You can usually tell if someone else has drove and you come back and all of a sudden it shifts funky - takes a few miles of driving around for it to readapt.

Skipping gears totally normal - rough shifts or clunking is not, but it could be a symptom that it just hasn’t finished learning. It should ease up and get smooth after a half hour or so of driving
Sponsored