Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Audio System, Accessory Infrastructure, Additional Auxiliary Switching
----------------

For Starters, thanks to all out there for all of their efforts and meticulous write-ups/documentation/video. Principally to @RagnarKon, your write-ups and YT videos were fantastic.

Initially I went with the following setup:

- Kicker Key 200.4 to drive the front stage
- 4" JL Audio Coaxils for the dash
- 6.5" JL Audio Coaxils for the rear still driven by the factory amplification
- JL 8" sub
- JL 250.1 Class D AMP

Having grown up a car audio freak, I was disappointed with the above; especially with tops off. IMHO it didn't come close to the factory setup in my 2014 Super Duty. Here is the final build list I am VERY pleased with. Probably overkill for most but it sounds great even barelling down the highway tops off at 80mph :teehee:

- JL Audio XDM600/6
- JL Audio C1-650se Componets (components with tweeters in dash and drivers in kicks are the money as many have indicated)
- JL Audio C1-650x Coaxils For the rears and Mabbet enclosures to fit them
- JL Audio JD250/1 Subwoofer amp
- JL Audio 8W1v3-4 Subwoofer in the stock enclosure with some trimming
- Ran Aux/all new speaker cables back to the Amps while I was bringing power back
- Since I was running it, went ahead and did 0 gauge wiring kit and a distribution block strategically mounted behind the passenger side access panel in the cargo area for easy access/future accessory power. At $70 the 0 gauge kit is a STELLAR deal.

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

Despite having upfitter switches, I put an eight switch auxbeam in as well knowing the upfitters would run out quickly. Some under hood wiring shots. I've used cable sleeve and heat shrink on everything. All connections are waterproof & soldered using these awesome connectors.

IMG_0820.jpeg

Conveniently the included bracket worked great to mount to the battery

IMG_0822.jpeg

Trimmed the back of the terminal cover to accommodate wires:

IMG_0824.jpeg

@Melzingah here's the audio upgrade!
That power distribution box in the rear is rather slick. Even though it says Audio, I presume you plan to use this for power? The 0AWG goes to the battery?

How does the DV8 overhead molle work with the Bimini top? I have a Jtops Bimini which goes edge-to-edge but I presume about the same height. I was wondering if the Bimini interferes with access to the overhead shelf.

Thx for the details and links to products. Great thread OP!
Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Loving the organization - easy to ID if someone else needs to quickly grab something out of your rig.

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch, Porsche GT3RS, Honda CBR1000RR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Awesome dog and car. Love the mods and nicely setup :)

Mac is a beast for a Lab ! Definitley feeding him well haha.

Not sure if this is useful for you but thought id share.. Ive also got a big beast, his name is Mando (Named after Mandalorian) and he's a 145lbs Alabai. I've had two dogs of similar breed so I know that they get heavy and my previous dog had osteochondrosis on one of his front legs so I always felt bad for him jumping out of the car..

Now with the bronco, I wanted to lift and set it up properly for heavy off-road abuse but ofcourse did not want to make things difficult for the dog. Ended up getting the XL telescoping ramp from Petsafe and had a custom made mounting bracket fabricated along with a rear tailgate support with flag mount. Came out really nice and studry enough for light off-road use.

Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 9.09.09 PM

Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 9.09.08 PM (1)
Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 9.09.08 PM
Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 9.09.09 PM (1)

OP
OP
thetxpopulist

thetxpopulist

Badlands
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That power distribution box in the rear is rather slick. Even though it says Audio, I presume you plan to use this for power? The 0AWG goes to the battery?

How does the DV8 overhead molle work with the Bimini top? I have a Jtops Bimini which goes edge-to-edge but I presume about the same height. I was wondering if the Bimini interferes with access to the overhead shelf.

Thx for the details and links to products. Great thread OP!
Thank you! Correct, I've actually already started using it for things beyond Audio (like my air system), and yes, I shot TRUE zero gauge from the battery, through the firewall, and back to the distro block. That kit I linked is probably the best value item I've bought in ages.

The DV8 overhead panel isn't really effected by the Bimini in my case, because all things I have mounted on it thus far can be easily undone from within the cab (the RC straps I linked are a bit pricey but super slick) and I'm not really leveraging the overhead shelf.

Do you like your Jtops? I am not really liking this cheapskate amazon special I tried to get away with LoL. Getting tops on and off with it permanently in place is a PITA.

OP
OP
thetxpopulist

thetxpopulist

Badlands
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Loving the organization - easy to ID if someone else needs to quickly grab something out of your rig.
Thank you! That's my primary objective, especially with the first aid. I have all kinds of stuff in there including Narcans. You never know! Especially in the DFW metroplex.

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you! That's my primary objective, especially with the first aid. I have all kinds of stuff in there including Narcans. You never know! Especially in the DFW metroplex.
Oh nice! I’m in DFW as well and going through a big speaker / B&O upgrade. Would love to see your rig in person at a meetup sometime!

OP
OP
thetxpopulist

thetxpopulist

Badlands
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome dog and car. Love the mods and nicely setup :)

Mac is a beast for a Lab ! Definitley feeding him well haha.

Not sure if this is useful for you but thought id share.. Ive also got a big beast, his name is Mando (Named after Mandalorian) and he's a 145lbs Alabai. I've had two dogs of similar breed so I know that they get heavy and my previous dog had osteochondrosis on one of his front legs so I always felt bad for him jumping out of the car..

Now with the bronco, I wanted to lift and set it up properly for heavy off-road abuse but ofcourse did not want to make things difficult for the dog. Ended up getting the XL telescoping ramp from Petsafe and had a custom made mounting bracket fabricated along with a rear tailgate support with flag mount. Came out really nice and studry enough for light off-road use.

Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 9.09.09 PM (1)

Thank you for the kind words! I don't think I've seen an Alabai breed dog before, but wow--Mando is a handsome fella! The ramp is a great idea, Mac definitely gets a bit worked up getting in the Bronco.

Very nice setup you have there, I love those wheels! How do you like your King shocks, and what Baja components do you have?

OP
OP
thetxpopulist

thetxpopulist

Badlands
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh nice! I’m in DFW as well and going through a big speaker / B&O upgrade. Would love to see your rig in person at a meetup sometime!
For sure! Your rig looks awesome! Would love to see it. Side note, I just ordered 75sqft of XPEL Stealth PPF and I'm gonna try to install it myself to save $6,000 :oops: One panel at a time, for as long as it takes.

Do we have regional threads on here?

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Howdy all!

Back in December of 2023 I bought a used 23 Badlands with Sasquatch & high package. It came with a 2.5" RC lift/level, which is staying for now but will ultimately be replaced, and KMC wheels/Toyo OC RTs (run these tires on my super duty and love em). The truck had 4k miles on it and I've put another 1500 on it since purchasing.

I am coming off of the Polaris RZR platform predominantly because my best bud, John McClane (named after the protagonist in the best Christmas movie ever; Mac for short) won't ride with me. Not sure why but he is scared straight of golf carts and anything that sounds remotely like a motorcycle. I've had him since he was 8 weeks and he's two now. Fortunately he loves the Bronco!

I've been modding like a maniac and will post each mod thus far as a comment.

This is Mac--at 120lbs and 37" tall he's unusually large for a Labrador Retriever and I often encounter him with his snout and big ol gums atop a counter pilfering for scraps. On all fours he's high torque and perpetual energy 😅

What is the backing you have on the rear seats?

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's more active on the FB threads - North Texas Bronco Club (with the dark sky background - there's two groups of the same name) is pretty active. There's a meetup this Sunday if you're interested - I'm hoping to have 90% of my sound system done by then.

Oh, and the photo is just a render from years ago while I was waiting 2 years for my '23 Badlands - my rig looks nothing like that. ;-)

For sure! Your rig looks awesome! Would love to see it. Side note, I just ordered 75sqft of XPEL Stealth PPF and I'm gonna try to install it myself to save $6,000 :oops: One panel at a time, for as long as it takes.

Do we have regional threads on here?

Sponsored
OP
OP
thetxpopulist

thetxpopulist

Badlands
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
thetxpopulist

thetxpopulist

Badlands
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's more active on the FB threads - North Texas Bronco Club (with the dark sky background - there's two groups of the same name) is pretty active. There's a meetup this Sunday if you're interested - I'm hoping to have 90% of my sound system done by then.

Oh, and the photo is just a render from years ago while I was waiting 2 years for my '23 Badlands - my rig looks nothing like that. ;-)
Well crap, I disappeared from the internet about six years ago and got rid of social media. I'm glad I did except in situations like this. I will find a way to check it out, thanks!

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you! Correct, I've actually already started using it for things beyond Audio (like my air system), and yes, I shot TRUE zero gauge from the battery, through the firewall, and back to the distro block. That kit I linked is probably the best value item I've bought in ages.

The DV8 overhead panel isn't really effected by the Bimini in my case, because all things I have mounted on it thus far can be easily undone from within the cab (the RC straps I linked are a bit pricey but super slick) and I'm not really leveraging the overhead shelf.

Do you like your Jtops? I am not really liking this cheapskate amazon special I tried to get away with LoL. Getting tops on and off with it permanently in place is a PITA.
I love the jtops! I had it custom printed with one of my dad’s abstract photos. It extends to the edge of the windshield so no sun leaks through. It’s is an absolute joy driving top down in the sun. And it’s easy to get the hard top on/off as there are zippered areas for the levers. And the inside is white (when too on) which brightens the cabin a bit. It is extremely well made.

I was thinking of using the overhead molle shelf to mount a radio. Depending on the group I gotta swap between GMRS or HAM so having it mounted hidden isn’t really an option.

Here are a few pics of jtops. Inside with top on and off, and one from outside.

IMG_4221.jpeg

IMG_2723.jpeg

IMG_2718.jpeg

OP
OP
thetxpopulist

thetxpopulist

Badlands
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the jtops! I had it custom printed with one of my dad’s abstract photos. It extends to the edge of the windshield so no sun leaks through. It’s is an absolute joy driving top down in the sun. And it’s easy to get the hard top on/off as there are zippered areas for the levers. And the inside is white (when too on) which brightens the cabin a bit. It is extremely well made.

I was thinking of using the overhead molle shelf to mount a radio. Depending on the group I gotta swap between GMRS or HAM so having it mounted hidden isn’t really an option.

Here are a few pics of jtops. Inside with top on and off, and one from outside.

Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build IMG_2718

LOVE the openings and I see they’re made in the USA too, I’m getting one while I can still return this one to Amazon! Thanks for the feedback!

As for the GMRS you could definitely mount it to the underside of the overhead panel, and I imagine you’d want to, since you will need to change channels occasionally.

I have one in my Polaris XP4 Turbo that I’m selling, but I’m not sure I want a fixed one for the Bronco just yet. I saw a fella on YT that suggested getting a handheld unit first and making sure you like it and the feature set, so that you know what you want in a fixed unit. The bonus is you can keep the handset and lend it to buddies who don’t have one on a ride.

Hashlak

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch, Porsche GT3RS, Honda CBR1000RR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you for the kind words! I don't think I've seen an Alabai breed dog before, but wow--Mando is a handsome fella! The ramp is a great idea, Mac definitely gets a bit worked up getting in the Bronco.

Very nice setup you have there, I love those wheels! How do you like your King shocks, and what Baja components do you have?
Thanks, yeah its not a very common breed.

So those photos were a little old, I have now swapped out the bajakits stuff for the billet RPG front and rear upper/lower arms. Got the heavy duty tie rod kit as well and all parts custom colour matched to the wheels.

Regarding the King shocks.. Initially I was not so happy with them off-road. Definitly felt a bit stiffer at first on-road, but off-road for the type of terrain and deserts we have in the UAE, it was not setup properly. The front is way too soft and rear had too much rebound, used to kick the rear up bucking bronco style :LOL: After re-valving, tune and changing rear pistons, its now well setup. Really happy with performance now, takes the whoops very well as well as the hard inital hill climb hits. The shocks themselves are great, just needs some tweaking for the type of use you want to extract from them.

Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build WhatsApp Image 2024-04-16 at 10.02.50 PM (2)
Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build WhatsApp Image 2024-04-16 at 10.02.50 PM (1)
Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build WhatsApp Image 2024-04-16 at 10.02.51 PM

Ford Bronco Rusty Shackleford's 2023 Badlands Build WhatsApp Image 2024-04-16 at 10.02.50 PM
Sponsored

Last edited: