Sponsored

Rev Matching Without Ford Performance Tune?

OP
OP
fuesting

fuesting

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For my part, my Bronco wasn't expensive, I paid cash for it, and it's not the vehicle I'd buy to hot rod around in. I know some people like having more power and that's cool, but it's not my thing.
This is exactly the correct logic, from my perspective. Plenty of other cars to modify. I simply like rev matching and wouldn't mind paying for the feature on its own. Maybe someday.
Sponsored

OP
OP
fuesting

fuesting

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So. The tune will run with 87 octane. But you should not do that.

I know a lot of people have had good luck - no ill effects, it works just fine.

But…

I think you are rolling the dice doing that. Under the normal tuning (factory not ProCal) the engine starts out being very conservative and will ramp up the timing until it starts to detect any knock. This is how running higher octane can get you a bit of a boost even without ProCal

With ProCal in place though - the engine assumes you have at least 91 octane and starts off with much more aggressive timing and it allows higher boost values from the turbo. This is how ProCal gets the rest of that hp/torque boost. If you aren’t running that, it will knock, and the engine will detune to compensate - but it’s going to be knocking the entire time it’s doing that.

One tank of low octane gas - low odds anything will get damaged. Over time and several tanks of gas - something is probably doing to die a premature death. Especially if you lean heavy into high boost
Thank you for the break down of how the tune works. I didn't understand those details and you made it make perfect sense. Frankly, I would give up HP for longevity. I'm fine putzing around rowing gears and going offroad frequently.

lethaljake

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
1719863968876-hn.jpg

Order a tune from Lethal and use 93 until you hit your $1000 threshold and then go back to regular?

@lethaljake , tune adjusts for 87, right?
No sir. These calibrations require premium grade fuel only. No 87 unforuntely.
Sponsored