Sponsored

New Windshield: Any good glass replacement shops in Dallas? OEM vs. 3rd party?

AZWildTrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am in Dallas, Texas right now, and I need my windshield replaced. I have two cracks coming from either side of the windshield. Anyone in this area have a recommendation for a good shop to replace with OEM glass?

Any comments on OEM versus third-party replacement?

Thank you for any help.
Sponsored

OP
OP

AZWildTrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OEM. Always.

See if there is a Safelite in your area.
That is my thinking as well, but always looking for validation.

I have used Safelite in the past, I was not impressed. They didn’t reconnect part of the bodywork correctly, they left the windshield washer hose disconnected, and now every time I start my truck my windshield wiper blades wipe once. When I called them to get it fixed, they ignored my call.

OP
OP

AZWildTrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the replies, I will go with OEM glass. Now anyone know any good shops in Dallas?

Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Oem. I just went through glassamerica in Tampa and they tech was super professional. Not sure if you have glassamerica there. I was told aftermarket and oem glass is identical, that they come off the same line, the difference is the best ones get the oem label and the rejects get the chinese label.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Weird...Safelite has always done a great job in my area, but every area has different techs.
Since you are in Dallas, might as well wait a few months and get out of storm season unless it is too unsafe to drive right now. We have seen so much large hail in central Texas this year I would be afraid to tempt fate.

Last edited:

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Weird...Safelite has always done a great job in my area...
Yeah, I was totally happy with how Safelite replaced my windshield. They were fine with me watching the whole thing and asking a bunch of questions.

Apparently not every Safelite shop is the same. Some are excellent and some not so much.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
OEM. Always.
See if there is a Safelite in your area.
Safelite/AAA tried to screw me over last month on OEM glass. Got a local shop (from our Facebook Bronco group) to do it instead.

OEM glass has the Bronco logos, FoMoCo symbols, and "accessory ready" markings. Also has the paint "dot shading" at the top and edges.

Aftermarket glass does not. It may or may not reject heat was well as factory glass as well.

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No sir, it is US junk. Made in Dayton, OH, USA.
Fuyao at the old GM plant in moraine Ohio… junk is right and they treat their employees like shit

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have used Safelite in the past, I was not impressed. They didn’t reconnect part of the bodywork correctly, they left the windshield washer hose disconnected, and now every time I start my truck my windshield wiper blades wipe once. When I called them to get it fixed, they ignored my call.
That sucks. Not all Safelite shops are created equal. I've had good experiences with a few. Others have not. Due diligence as always.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
+1, aftermarket glass is chinese junk. It'll look sandblasted in a year.
With the frequency of windshield replacement in a Bronco, do you really think that's going to be an issue? ;)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Safelite/AAA tried to screw me over last month on OEM glass. Got a local shop (from our Facebook Bronco group) to do it instead.

OEM glass has the Bronco logos, FoMoCo symbols, and "accessory ready" markings. Also has the paint "dot shading" at the top and edges.

Aftermarket glass does not. It may or may not reject heat was well as factory glass as well.
Some aftermarket glass has the dot shading... Some doesn't. Mine had the dots.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am in Dallas, Texas right now, and I need my windshield replaced. I have two cracks coming from either side of the windshield. Anyone in this area have a recommendation for a good shop to replace with OEM glass?

Any comments on OEM versus third-party replacement?

Thank you for any help.
Five of my 6 Safelight windshield replacements on several vehicles over the past two decades have been well done. One was a bad job (outdoors on a cold day), leaked, and had to be re-replaced. Regarding OEM vs Aftermarket, it has depended on the age of the vehicle and My insurance. Sometimes I've received an OEM windshield as a matter of course. Other times, the shop has offered OEM as an upcharge ($135eg) when insurance only covers Aftermarket. Here in Charleston, my local Safelite has replaced one Subaru windshield well and done several repairs well for me, on Bronco and F-150. It's usually a good franchise, but everyone can make mistakes. With modern vehicles, the calibration adds a whole layer of complexity.
Sponsored