Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco OBX / 2020 Subaru Ascent Touring
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve got a ‘23 OBX with about 3800 miles and aftermarket Methods and Toyo Open Country AT III tires. They’ve been on since 250 miles without issue. Smooth and problem-free.

After getting into the gas pedal on the interstate the other day, I have developed a vibration/shake right at the 70mph mark. Nothing has changed and it seems to have come out of nowhere.
I have had them rebalanced, rotated, added hubcentric rings, but to no avail. Scratching my head as to what the issue could be seeing as I had the smoothest of rides for the first 3700 miles…

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve got a ‘23 OBX with about 3800 miles and aftermarket Methods and Toyo Open Country AT III tires. They’ve been on since 250 miles without issue. Smooth and problem-free.

After getting into the gas pedal on the interstate the other day, I have developed a vibration/shake right at the 70mph mark. Nothing has changed and it seems to have come out of nowhere.
I have had them rebalanced, rotated, added hubcentric rings, but to no avail. Scratching my head as to what the issue could be seeing as I had the smoothest of rides for the first 3700 miles…

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi there! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer, and I’ll look into your vibration concern.

OP
OP
BlazinGrizz

BlazinGrizz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You may have lost a wheel weight…
That was my thinking as well, but after getting them rebalanced on a Hunter machine, the vibration is still there.

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Couple common vibration things

Check the front and rear driveshaft boots, make sure there is no rips, while your down there check for play in both driveshafts. Had a boot ripped on the front boot, causes a vibration.

Try running in 4wd to see if the issue still persists, I had a non SaS bigbend that had the FAD go out that would cause the non rotational vibration at about 65mph. in 4wd there wouldnt be any vibration.

Sponsored

Offroadalliance

Base
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
vibrations 50+ are 99% balance issues. hard to say with it being rebalnaced, but if its a mechanical problem youd likely feel well before 70mph

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Where’s the vibration at? Front rear or the whole thing. IMO the problem is the hunter machine. You have to have a real good person running it and willing to take the time to balance them properly.

OP
OP
BlazinGrizz

BlazinGrizz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Where’s the vibration at? Front rear or the whole thing. IMO the problem is the hunter machine. You have to have a real good person running it and willing to take the time to balance them properly.
Definitely cannot vouch for the person that was running it. The vibration seems to be the whole thing, but comes through the wheel. It’s nothing crazy, but it’s definitely there and wasn’t there before.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would schedule an apt at your ford dealer, take the receipt for the rebalance and let them know you rotated the tires front to rear and still have the vibration. Do you have lane keep? Maybe it’s set to alert/aid. Not trying to undermine you just trying to help.

OP
OP
BlazinGrizz

BlazinGrizz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just went for another test, drive. Vibration is throughout, but does seem to be more towards the rear.

Sponsored

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Definitely cannot vouch for the person that was running it. The vibration seems to be the whole thing, but comes through the wheel. It’s nothing crazy, but it’s definitely there and wasn’t there before.
I would try swapping fronts to rears and see if it changes might help tell if it’s a wheel problem vs mechanical. Had this same type of issue on F-250. Noticed it shortly after tires replaced, felt different than normal. Kept having them rebalanced probably 3 times until the road road force balanced and found 1 tire was out of tolerance and it was replaced under warranty. That fixed the problem. Anyway on like the 3rd return visit in months time for this vibration the tech asked if he could swap fronts to rear to see if there was a difference and I could immediately tell, I could still feel it but it was far less noticeable. That’s when they road forced and found one tire was too far out of tolerance.

OP
OP
BlazinGrizz

BlazinGrizz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you guys. I appreciate all the input. This gives me options to start working through. 👍🏼

Mike T

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So a couple of suggestions. If you still have OE tires and wheels, swap them out with that aftermarket ones. If vibration disappears it is in the wheel and tire set up. If not it is a driveline issue. (Maybe a friend has a bronco you could swap with if you dont have OE set uo). If the steering wheel shakes it is the front tires, if you feel it in the seat of your pants its the rears. This is a starting point that Ii used when I worked at a shop to track down the pesky vibrations.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just went for another test, drive. Vibration is throughout, but does seem to be more towards the rear.
Do you have any oem take-offs or a buddy with a Bronco that would allow you to rule out the rims and tires?

STuff1

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 2 DR Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have had two broncos. Both 23 WT. Both had a vibration in the steering wheel from 55-70. Dealer claimed it was normal. It’s not normal. Il be going to a different dealer next week to try again. I only have the one now but the vibration drives me nuts. 3600 miles but has done it since day 1.
Sponsored