Sponsored

Need assisitance with choosing which 2 GMRS radios/antenna to order?

Mirage

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 Door EG SAS BL, 2024 2 Door Yellow HEL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm coming from the CB world, but apparently over the last 10ish years, nobody uses them anymore.... :(

So, last year, we tried those stupid Baofengs, which were awful... So, I really don't want to use those again!

Debating on something more like this Midland GMRS setup?
Midland Radio MicroMobile GMRS Two-Way Radio Bundle with Integrated Microphone Control; 50-Watt

Wife and I will both need one and we have ordered the light/antenna brackets that install beside the side mirrors. If that's not a good choice, can someone please recommend something that suits us well?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Steve B

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22, 2 DR WT, 22 4 DR WT, 22 Mustang GT (Stock-ISH)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm coming from the CB world, but apparently over the last 10ish years, nobody uses them anymore.... :(

So, last year, we tried those stupid Baofengs, which were awful... So, I really don't want to use those again!

Midland Radio MicroMobile GMRS Two-Way Radio Bundle with Integrated Microphone Control; 50-Watt

Wife and I will both need one and we have ordered the light/antenna brackets that install beside the side mirrors. If that's not a good choice, can someone please recommend something that suits us well?

Thanks!
My wife and I both have Broncos and we hit the trails together as much as we can. I bought the Midland MXT275VP4 Micro Bundle with the stubby antenna. It works great on the highway when we are headed to the trails. It works great in the woods as well. Much better than hand helds. I tested it in town and it performs good. We were able to be about 4-5 miles straight line distance and still have good comms. That is with all of the trees, houses, building etc. in between. The install was easy. I mounted the stubby antenna on the passenger side of the hood, close to the mirror and the radio is mounted on the passenger side of the center console. I wired it to accessory switch #6.

20240701_083503.jpg

20240701_083513.jpg

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the model you mention, though I didn't buy the bundle & it works really good. It's nice, because you can hide the main unit & just have the mic visible. You can even unplug the mic when not in use to make a clean look if you wish 🤠

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jmanly

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have that setup with the stealth antenna. Used a light mount near the mirror. Radio in in the glovebox with an RJ45 jack just under the passenger side dash. Wired to Aux switch 3. When I'm not using it, handset stays in the toolbox. I've spoken to guys up to 15 miles away with no problems, Great setup.

Sponsored

EOSeabee

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm kinda psycho about comms. When I'm calling for help, I want it to get out there. I got the Midland MXT575. I initially installed the stubby antenna others in this thread did. My problem was, I put it right next to my ditch lights. When they were on, I got interference. I just recently installed the Rugged tunable antenna, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WNXW7TO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
WAY better reception and transmission. The antenna is also on a custom mount just slightly above the roof.

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks!
I run two BAOFANG GMRS handhelds when I'm hunting and have not had an issue. Admittedly, I have programed them to hit repeaters so my range is exceptional. I can talk to my wife while she is at home and I'm 40+ miles away.

For mobile I'm going to go with the Wouxun 1000 G Plus with the remote faceplate and ghost antenna.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for all the replies yall! I'll have to do some more research. I definitely do not want another handheld!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the 6dB gain antenna. I figured if I'm using the higher powered radio, I should also have the better antenna.
Midland MicroMobile MXTA26 6DB Gain Whip Antenna (midlandusa.com)
Probably hard to go wrong with either the 275 or 575 Midland radios.
Thanks! I bought a nice Bearcat CB last year, installed it in my JKR and it never worked right. I wired the Firestik antenna up properly and even tuned it and it still never worked properly...

Then, when we went riding with the local Jeep moronic club, none of them even knew what a CB was.... :(

They all had those damn Baofengs and I had to borrow someones. His worked great, but when I bought one and even programmed it correctly, it never worked worth a crap....

So, I thought about installing non handheld GMRS setups, like the one I started the post with, just wasn't sure what to go with or install it to work correctly? I ordered ditch light mounts from JCR Offroad and they won't be here for a few weeks, but liked the way the comm antennas mount to either side with their light mounts.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don't think you would go wrong with either Midland's but mo power is mo better.

I'm going with the Wouxun 1000 G Plus not only for the remote head but I want to program other channels to receive, repeaters, FRS and a couple of local HAM.

BleednBlue

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco; 2018 4Runner; 2008 GX470
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Here are some pics of my Midland MXT115 setup. I have not tested the SWR but I can hit a repeater 10 miles away. Good enough for me and certainly better than a CB setup.

Ford Bronco Need assisitance with choosing which 2 GMRS radios/antenna to order? IMG_1203

Ford Bronco Need assisitance with choosing which 2 GMRS radios/antenna to order? IMG_1204

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Checkout this youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/@TheNotaRubicon

He has lots of helpful and hilarious information, but beware if you are a "radio geek/sad ham" that is easily offended!
Definitely not a HAM guy or radio geek, I just want something that works good and isn't a handheld. Back in my early Jeep offroading days, we had a diehard HAM radio guy and he was absolutely furious that I asked him to use a CB if he wanted to ride with us... He was also furious that I asked him to make a Facebook page, if he wanted to be in my Jeep group and he was more furious about that, than the HAM thing, LOL! Now, almost 10 years later, he won't even speak to me, so I'm definitely not one of those geeky HAM radio type of people, hahaha!
Sponsored