Sponsored

Manny tranny owners, would you do it again?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every day. Every time I get in it the manual transmission brings me joy. I've put at least 8000 miles of the 15+k on it while wearing flip flops in rush hour traffic. Still only have a desire for a manual transmission.

Otherwise, if you want an automatic, an F150 does everything better and addresses all the complaining on here about the nature of the vehicle that is a Bronco... except take the top off.

Tl;dr - I read precisely 4 posts in this thread.
Sponsored

jtmportland

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure.

Getrags make noise when cold - Euro car owners are accustomed to that.

Just change out the fluid for a thicker viscosity when it's out of warranty.
My MT Audis and BMWs never made a noise like the Bronco MT. Finally got to the point where I couldn’t stand it anymore. A vehicle with 9000 miles on the clock should not sound like that. The dealer had it for two months, but I finally got a new transmission and clutch. So far so good… hopefully the latest rev solved the gear chatter.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
My MT Audis and BMWs never made a noise like the Bronco MT. Finally got to the point where I couldn’t stand it anymore. A vehicle with 9000 miles on the clock should not sound like that. The dealer had it for two months, but I finally got a new transmission and clutch. So far so good… hopefully the latest rev solved the gear chatter.
Can I ask how they approved a new transmission instead of repairing it?

Thanks,

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Old man here… every manual transmission I have owned has had its quirks . a manual transmission is about communicating with the machine and becoming one with your car. listening to your vehicle and responding is what it’s all about. Might not be as fast or smooth or quiet but you are one with your vehicle.
I so agree with this post and loved reading this thread. I love manual transmissions and most of my vehicles have had them- and I owned many. Every manual transmission I have had, you have to "learn" it. Learn the throws, "feel" the transmission, not "rush" the shifts. Rushing the shift or not having the clutch all the way to the floor when you shift can result in a grind. I am also old school and never go in reverse from neutral- it may result in a grind. Always go into second first, then into reverse. My 87 Chevy Squarebody with manual 4 speed is an old school manual. Has long gates, slow shifting but it's a thing of beauty and so fun to drive. And it has a 350 V8 too.....All that being said I do wish my Bronco was manual- I have the auto with 2.7- mainly for my wife. But I wanted the biggest engine I could get in the Bronco and it was not available with a manual. Still I would love to drive someday a Bronco manual with the 2.3.

jtmportland

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can I ask how they approved a new transmission instead of repairing it?

Thanks,
I think I was just 'lucky'. Some background: the dealer I took it to sells very few Broncos, and even fewer MT Broncos. They pulled the transmission, ordered the parts and then realized they didn't have the proper tools for the job. Apparently this transmission requires unique tools (The service manager actually admitted to me that he didn't know the Bronco MT was not the same one in the Mustang.) Of course the tools were backordered... and by this time, they already had my Bronco for 3 weeks. I stayed on them about an ETA (I wasn't rude, but I was definitely persistent). Finally, the regional service manager called to tell me they were approving a complete transmission replacement in order to get the Bronco back to me sooner. I'd be willing to bet that this solution was actually cheaper for them. Anyway, I went to pick it up and the service writer said it wasn't drivable. They forgot(?) to bleed the clutch line... which apparently required them to drop the transmission again. I finally picked it up 3 days later. So far, so good, but I won't be convinced the problem has been solved until temperatures start dropping this fall.

jtmportland

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I so agree with this post and loved reading this thread. I love manual transmissions and most of my vehicles have had them- and I owned many. Every manual transmission I have had, you have to "learn" it. Learn the throws, "feel" the transmission, not "rush" the shifts. Rushing the shift or not having the clutch all the way to the floor when you shift can result in a grind. I am also old school and never go in reverse from neutral- it may result in a grind. Always go into second first, then into reverse. My 87 Chevy Squarebody with manual 4 speed is an old school manual. Has long gates, slow shifting but it's a thing of beauty and so fun to drive. And it has a 350 V8 too.....All that being said I do wish my Bronco was manual- I have the auto with 2.7- mainly for my wife. But I wanted the biggest engine I could get in the Bronco and it was not available with a manual. Still I would love to drive someday a Bronco manual with the 2.3.
I've owned both a 2.7 and a 2.3 MT Bronco. Like you, I wanted the biggest engine they offered (without having to buy a Braptor). But after living with it for a while, I really missed shifting. That's when I ordered my MT Bronco. For what it's worth, I've never once felt the 2.3 needed more power (at least with a manual transmission). I did add the Ford Performance ProCal kit which took HP up to 330. Despite the trouble I've had with the transmission, I don't regret getting it.

doublebullout

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru WRX; 2024 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

As others have said already, the availability of a manual transmission is what interested me in a Bronco. Everything I’ve owned has had a stick. That is my number 1 vehicle shopping criteria. And number 2 is a ragtop. After 3 Miatas over the years, I thought it was time to try something different.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think I was just 'lucky'. Some background: the dealer I took it to sells very few Broncos, and even fewer MT Broncos. They pulled the transmission, ordered the parts and then realized they didn't have the proper tools for the job. Apparently this transmission requires unique tools (The service manager actually admitted to me that he didn't know the Bronco MT was not the same one in the Mustang.) Of course the tools were backordered... and by this time, they already had my Bronco for 3 weeks. I stayed on them about an ETA (I wasn't rude, but I was definitely persistent). Finally, the regional service manager called to tell me they were approving a complete transmission replacement in order to get the Bronco back to me sooner. I'd be willing to bet that this solution was actually cheaper for them. Anyway, I went to pick it up and the service writer said it wasn't drivable. They forgot(?) to bleed the clutch line... which apparently required them to drop the transmission again. I finally picked it up 3 days later. So far, so good, but I won't be convinced the problem has been solved until temperatures start dropping this fall.
Thanks for the reply.

My dealer has been looking for the tools for just over a month and still no luck!

Sponsored

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only look at Manuals, and got 50,5xx on her as it is.

Day I get another automatic by choice (And not a company vehicle or future wife's car) is the day you gotta get my head checked out

Syringe

Badlands
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 ZX-10R, '21 Z H2 SE, '13 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I actually cancelled my '23 Badlands order when the 7MT was temporarily unavailable. Got a '24 now, and it's been very good. About 10 days ago had the '24 version Pro-Cal Ford Performance tune installed, and am impressed with the rev-matching downshifts - first time I've experienced that feature in any vehicle.

My Dad has a '23 Wildtrak, and I have to say I don't really like that transmission, though it did improve its shift points and perceived smoothness quite a bit after the same FP tune. Even on relatively tame surfaces, such as hilly terrain/gravel roads, the shifting of the automatic if left to its own devices isn't very smooth. Choosing your own gears and rolling in/out of the throttle is far smoother.

FWIW, I get 20-21 mpg with my 7 MT, Dad's stuck in the 17s with the 2.7L and auto [& Sasquatch, which I don't have]. Both are 2 doors.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No issues, including grinding, w/my manual.

Would buy again.
Sponsored