Sponsored

Manny tranny owners, would you do it again?

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Manual trans was a big part of my decision. And I do prefer it. That said it is the lest fun manual trans I have ever drove. It took me a while to figure out why. It just felt like I couldn't make smooth shifts which was odd cause I never had that problem and I've driven manual trans fo 40 years. I also seemed to be inhibited somehow if I tried to accelerate fast running the the gears. What I figured out is that the throttle control algorithm gets in the way.

The throttle algorithm has a function that ramps up the throttle with time so even if you mash the gas pedal it doesn't immediately go to full throttle but ramps it up over a second. That is fine when you are actually accelerating cause engine RPM can't ramp up without the vehicle moving faster and there is an optimum throttle level. Also it gives one better control when making throttle changes where you need precise control like off roading whee you don't want the car to suddenly leap forward.

For everyday driving with the manual trans it really messes the operation because there are throttle changes under no load during shifts that you want to be able to do quickly. But with the algorithm, as you let off the throttle when pushing in the clutch, it much more quickly drops to a lower RPM. Then when you try and match RPM for the new gear there is that delay. Even if you let it off just enough to get the perfect match for the new gear, when you press down to accelerate there is the delay again.

Whatever that delay is, it gets in the way and with multiple shifts does slow down accelerating thru the gears. My other bronco has an automatic trans (both same engine) and since the car is doing the shifting ,it makes the adjustments precisely and clearly accelerates better. I am not saying that using a manual I could shift faster than the automatic, but with the setup I definitely feel like it trips me up.

I have seen people talk about a device that helps the throttle response. I haven't investigated it but I suspect it would help what I experience.
@Lil Red Broncette What you describe is real. It is intentional part of programming, entirely because of emissions. I can refer you to YouTube videos explaining the engineering reasons if you like.
I noticed it on my test drive, and it bothered me so much that it nudged me to the automatic.
Sponsored

Cherry Bomb

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes took a 2024 Bronco for a test drive and the manual sealed the deal. Always had a manual until a few years ago and now a days they are harder to come by and I will not buy a Jeep so I was hooked. But yes love rowing through the gears.

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Love my 2023 2 DR CG 2.3 MT bronco, but i have not noticed any issues like some have and love the pull it has in 2-3 gears )

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My original order was an automatic because you could not get the Sasquatch package with a manual. Then I had to reorder and you could.

It would not have been a deal breaker for me. I think long trips it would be nice to have the manual. I did not expect to like the Bronco so much that I would take it on all the long trips instead of just driving my pickup.

Ozark

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad to hear these positive responses regarding the manual transmission. Iā€™m hoping to eventually get back into another Bronco, but this time it will be a manual equipped Bronco. After only owning cars with manual transmissions for over two decades, for some reason I ordered my Bronco with the 2.7 and auto and sold my ā€˜21 Honda Civic Type R. While the 2.7 had tons of power, I soon missed the joy of driving a manual transmission. So after a year of owning my Bronco I sold it and purchased a new 4wd with a manual, a Toyota GR Corolla Circuit Edition haha. I love the driving experience and its manual transmission is absolute perfection, but I feel the manual Bronco might be the sweet spot for me. Had I known how great the Bronco is to drive even on paved roads, I wouldā€™ve ordered my first one with the manual and the 2.3. But Iā€™m hoping to fix that mistake and hopefully next year get into a 2025 with 3 pedals.

Does anyone know if Ford has fixed the known issues with the manual by now or is this still occurring in the 2024 models?

Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad to hear these positive responses regarding the manual transmission. Iā€™m hoping to eventually get back into another Bronco, but this time it will be a manual equipped Bronco. After only owning cars with manual transmissions for over two decades, for some reason I ordered my Bronco with the 2.7 and auto and sold my ā€˜21 Honda Civic Type R. While the 2.7 had tons of power, I soon missed the joy of driving a manual transmission. So after a year of owning my Bronco I sold it and purchased a new 4wd with a manual, a Toyota GR Corolla Circuit Edition haha. I love the driving experience and its manual transmission is absolute perfection, but I feel the manual Bronco might be the sweet spot for me. Had I known how great the Bronco is to drive even on paved roads, I wouldā€™ve ordered my first one with the manual and the 2.3. But Iā€™m hoping to fix that mistake and hopefully next year get into a 2025 with 3 pedals.

Does anyone know if Ford has fixed the known issues with the manual by now or is this still occurring in the 2024 models?
For what it's worth I had a Focus RS when I got the Bronco (AWD/turbo). It was amazing, and basically my dream "car". The Bronco was so fun to drive that the RS was just collecting dust and taking up garage space.

I would say make sure you get 4A to wring all the potential fun out of it on the street.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I hear you, but for modern transmissions the reverse is normal. To the right and back is basically antiquated. Luckily crawler gear worked out to where they didn't have to do anything crazy.

Edit to add: Also I like it because other than the lockout, it reminds me of where first and reverse are on the manual Deuce's. And you normally even start in second for normal driving on those, which is where first is for the Bronco.
Iā€™m just old I guess! I started on a mid fifties Chevy with a 3 on the tree. A dozen or two cars later all with manual transmissions, having reverse up and to the left seems off. My wife gives me the old side eye when I go to pull away going backwards instead of forwards. Youā€™d think the camera coming on would be a dead give away but noooope. That being said I love the way this shifts. At some point Iā€™ll retrain my brainā€¦..or not!

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Like others have stated in this thread, I would not have bought a Bronco except for the manual transmission. This thing is a hot rod. Turbocharged, 4.46 gears, 7-speed manual, I love hooning around in my 2-door. So much fun !

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™m just old I guess! I started on a mid fifties Chevy with a 3 on the tree. A dozen or two cars later all with manual transmissions, having reverse up and to the left seems off. My wife gives me the old side eye when I go to pull away going backwards instead of forwards. Youā€™d think the camera coming on would be a dead give away but noooope. That being said I love the way this shifts. At some point Iā€™ll retrain my brainā€¦..or not!
Oh yeah I get it. My daily is a Focus with the older 5 speed that has the reverse to the right and back. Took me quite a while to be able to easily go back and forth. It was even more confusing in my RS because the cars were so similar, but had totally different transmissions. The RS shifter was identical to the Bronco except Crawler.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Oh yeah I get it. My daily is a Focus with the older 5 speed that has the reverse to the right and back. Took me quite a while to be able to easily go back and forth. It was even more confusing in my RS because the cars were so similar, but had totally different transmissions. The RS shifter was identical to the Bronco except Crawler.
Itā€™s kind of like driving in the UK. Under normal situations, it not a problem to figure out which side if the road to drive on. Itā€™s when you have to react fast and lean on instinct that burns you everytime.

Sponsored

G8Rengineer

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep XJ (original owner), 2012 Ford Expeditio
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2022 base 4-cyl with the manny tranny. Other than the occasional grinding on cold mornings and notchy shifting, I'm still glad I got it. I'm wondering what other owners think (besides those who have had the grinding issues that are well documented)?
I wouldn't trade mine!! We took it to the White Rim Fire Trail in Moab last month - drove from Florida to Utah. The experience of the trail with a manual was perfect - I would not have wanted an AT for "Driving" the trail.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2022 base 4-cyl with the manny tranny. Other than the occasional grinding on cold mornings and notchy shifting, I'm still glad I got it. I'm wondering what other owners think (besides those who have had the grinding issues that are well documented)?
i love manny trannys but can you imagine the 2.7 with one yep

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I sold my G56 Manual 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins as soon as I saw the 7MT being an option was leaked! If no Manual was being offered, I was not interested. So, YES I would get a manual again every time!!!!

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just wrapped up my 2nd 1100 mile road trip, mix of dirt, 2 lane and interstate, and would not trade my manual for the world!

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dusty is known to have a sense of humor.

BTW Dusty. when is BBBB this year? :crackup:

Herb
For you, Herb, it's the weekend after Fathers Day :)
Sponsored