Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you have all 5 arms changed to Johnnies???? I am curious because that would suggest something else was limiting.... I am just not sure what that could be... I will be the first to admit that the theory of the 4 link is far superior to the 5 link.... My one and only concern is the lateral loading that in all probability will pan out to be a non-issue.
Yes, Johnny's all around - except the the frame end of the track bar which has had bushings.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yes, Johnny's all around - except the the frame end of the track bar which has had bushings.
Then what the hell was limiting the articulation..... Hmmm.... I am going to have to do some playing around.... :sneaky:

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One question - it looks like you don't have skid plates... Do you think there would be clearense issues doing belly skids?
I know this isn’t directed at me, but with NVM there are no issues

GPTempDownload.jpeg

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tesla Plaid X 22 Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One question - it looks like you don't have skid plates... Do you think there would be clearance issues doing belly skids?
I run JCR Engine, transfer case, transmission, gas tank, and DV8 rear diff and shock. I have not had a chance to put my engine and transfer case back on.

OP
OP
Arokcrwlr

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know this isn’t directed at me, but with NVM there are no issues

Ford Bronco Look at that droop! Rock Krawler 4-Link Rear Conversion GPTempDownload
That is really nice!
It looks like Mr. Upgrade's muffler sits closer to the transfer case than your setup. Upon closer study of his pics, I think there should be enough clearance for my skids... 🤞

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That is really nice!
It looks like Mr. Upgrade's muffler sits closer to the transfer case than your setup. Upon closer study of his pics, I think there should be enough clearance for my skids... 🤞
My exhaust is completely homemade, so that might make a difference

IMG_1767.jpeg

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Then what the hell was limiting the articulation..... Hmmm.... I am going to have to do some playing around.... :sneaky:
Rear axle articulation occurs by rotating axle about for-aft axis for both the 4 and 5 link setups. If the coilovers will allow, at extreme rotations or articulation, the links (both upper and lower) will begin to torque as the free play in bushing (Johnny joints) is removed. The difference between 4 and 5 link is that the 5 link forces the rear axle to rotate through an arc defined by the track bar (fifth link). This will also force the axle to move left/right as it sweeps through this arc. The 4 link is not constrained by this motion. It is possible that the arc geometry is such that this constraint also results in bending of the links due to lateral motion and perhaps limiting articulation. The geometry gets complicated.

the 4 link allows for freedom of motion wrt the arc swept by the tracbar but the consequence is the lateral loads must be carried by the links now instead of the panhard bar. There is always a consequence.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Rear axle articulation occurs by rotating axle about for-aft axis for both the 4 and 5 link setups. If the coilovers will allow, at extreme rotations or articulation, the links (both upper and lower) will begin to torque as the free play in bushing (Johnny joints) is removed. The difference between 4 and 5 link is that the 5 link forces the rear axle to rotate through an arc defined by the track bar (fifth link). This will also force the axle to move left/right as it sweeps through this arc. The 4 link is not constrained by this motion. It is possible that the arc geometry is such that this constraint also results in bending of the links due to lateral motion and perhaps limiting articulation. The geometry gets complicated.

the 4 link allows for freedom of motion wrt the arc swept by the tracbar but the consequence is the lateral loads must be carried by the links now instead of the panhard bar. There is always a consequence.
Absolutly agree with everything you are saying here... and theoretically the 4 link should offer a greater degree of articulation without the track bar lateral arc.... My confusion though is that the 5 link with the upgraded joints should still allow for movement as far as the coilovers will accommodate. What we are suggesting is that those joints are hitting their limit prior to exhausting the coilover movement... And that really surprises me... There is a lot of potential movement in those joints. I know they have their limits. Again just thought it exceeded what the coil over limitations were. My issue since I never did the math... I do not know where I would find the info to calculate though... I am sure it is out there somewhere. Probably easy to find if I actually looked.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@5GENIDN

Agree. I am surprised as well. The coilover should be limiting factor. 8-12 inches displacement over 5 ft ish arc call it 10 ish degrees. The Johnny joints should allow much more than that and thereby not be limiting. Just a thought that the lateral motion of 5 link forces the links to also hit some bending response since joints don’t really have any degree of freedom to lateral motion. Agree that this can de quantified on paper.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Absolutly agree with everything you are saying here... and theoretically the 4 link should offer a greater degree of articulation without the track bar lateral arc.... My confusion though is that the 5 link with the upgraded joints should still allow for movement as far as the coilovers will accommodate. What we are suggesting is that those joints are hitting their limit prior to exhausting the coilover movement... And that really surprises me... There is a lot of potential movement in those joints. I know they have their limits. Again just thought it exceeded what the coil over limitations were. My issue since I never did the math... I do not know where I would find the info to calculate though... I am sure it is out there somewhere. Probably easy to find if I actually looked.
I can say with confidence it’s not difficult to find the limit of the stock shocks any more. Looking forward to trying out the Rock Krawler shocks with quick compression adjustments. They should be here next week.

IMG_1838.jpeg

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

@5GENIDN

Agree. I am surprised as well. The coilover should be limiting factor. 8-12 inches displacement over 5 ft ish arc call it 10 ish degrees. The Johnny joints should allow much more than that and thereby not be limiting. Just a thought that the lateral motion of 5 link forces the links to also hit some bending response since joints don’t really have any degree of freedom to lateral motion. Agree that this can de quantified on paper.
The angle of the track bar in neutral angle (rest) also complicates the equation... The further from horizontal at neutral the greater the lateral movement will be because of that damn lateral arc. I wonder if this may be playing into some of that.... The further you shift that axle left and right the more difficult it will be to meet the flex needs of the joints. A horizontal track bar will provide the least amount of lateral movement in any type of flex situation, up or down on the passenger axle mount..

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This got me curious. I just measured the coilover separation distance in the rear (50”). Assuming you can get 15” displacement out of your shocks (a wishful number for many of us). That results in 17 or so degrees of axle rotation limited by the coilovers. Surely good Johnny joints
Sponsored