First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have limited experience with other AT Tires. I had Falken Wildpeaks on my Maverick and a stone went through the tread when they were relatively new. Wasnt impressed. They did do pretty good in the snow. I had Goodyear wranglers years ago on a K5 Blazer. But they were half worn when I got it. Changed them to KOs. I was always happy with the my KO2s. I've ran them on almost everything. The KO3 does look like they have addressed some of the issues. My only real complaint with the KO2s was there crazy tendency to pick up and throw stones. I'll admit my biggest reason for always wanting them is solid raised white letters lol.....Everytime I look at other tires I just keep wishing they would have solid raised white letters.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Mickey Thompson Baja AT
Nittos
Even Falkens over BFG

I ran a set of 37x12.5x17s for about 40,000 mi and they are the worst set of tires I've ever owned. They would not stay balanced, they slipped and slid in rain and snow, they are complete crap in mud. The only thing they're good for is thin sand over desert terrain.

Which I'm sure some will say that's what they were designed for but you cannot say that if the label on the tire is all terrain. In addition, they are three peak snowflake rated but they're the worst snow tires I've ever had.

It's laughable to me that so many people think BF Goodrich KO2s are great tires...
As someone new to this type of tires I find this interesting. Almost ever review of Nittos I see they are horrible in the rain/snow and nothing like a BFG. Makes the decision so much harder seeing al these differing opinions!

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak, ‘22 Tundra TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mickey Thompson Baja AT
Nittos
Even Falkens over BFG

I ran a set of 37x12.5x17s for about 40,000 mi and they are the worst set of tires I've ever owned. They would not stay balanced, they slipped and slid in rain and snow, they are complete crap in mud. The only thing they're good for is thin sand over desert terrain.

Which I'm sure some will say that's what they were designed for but you cannot say that if the label on the tire is all terrain. In addition, they are three peak snowflake rated but they're the worst snow tires I've ever had.

It's laughable to me that so many people think BF Goodrich KO2s are great tires...
Falken? You‘re obviously just making things up.
Pick up a E or D Falken and compare it to the same BFG KO2.
Falken’s are pretenders. They are made to a minimum specification to help fleets achieve mpg requirements while still looking aggressive. They’re too lightweight to be in the same league.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Myself I am ordering Baja Boss AT's this weekend when I return from my business trip. Going with DT and get the veteran discount.

That said, when I talked to one of the trail guides at Off-Rodeo Moab, she said she runs KO2's for her CO adventure tours but if the BB AT's weren't $20 more per tire than the KO2's she would prefer them. $100 (set of 5) over 50K miles is what, $.002 per mile..............

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Falken’s are pretenders. They are made to a minimum specification to help fleets achieve mpg requirements while still looking aggressive. They’re too lightweight to be in the same league.
I've never owned a set of Falkens in my life but you'd be blind not to see there's plenty of people on this forum who speak highly of them.

Substitute everything you said above with the GY Territory and you have no argument from me. That's the definition of an undersized light weight OEM tire.

KO2 = boomer tire

Sponsored

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went from BFG KO2's to Wildpeak AT's the last tire change on my F150 (40k miles ago). I lost 2mpg with the Wildpeaks - weight?. Also, the Wildpeaks in my experience are horrible on wet pavement. I have to be very careful to feather the throttle from a stop or going uphill or the rear will break loose. I will be going back to the BFGs next time I need tires for the F150. For the Bronco, I'm running 37" KM3's - mainly because that's what I could find in stock at the time. I'll do the Mickey MTs next time...

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It is sarcasm and used to further highlight the point which is still valid--BFG KO2 tires are garbage to anyone using them in any serious A/T scenario. There are ONLY two things they do well--low road noise and low wear rates. Everything else is a joke--I tried to make them work in many different terrains.

A review that I did and a few photos of the vehicle they were on (that was HIGHLY modified for off-road use):

Vehicle = 2019 JLUR with 3.6L, ZF8, & 5.13 Gearing
Empty Weight = 5700 pounds
Lift = 3.5" MC Game Changer
Shocks = 2.5" Fox DSC
Wheels = Icon Alpha; 17x8.5 with 0 offset/4.75" backspace

Tire = BF Goodrich KO2 A/T
Size = 37x12.50x17
Load Range = C
Inflated diameter (Unloaded) = 35.75" (@31 PSI)
Inflated diameter (Loaded) = 35.375" (@31 PSI)
Tread Depth = 15/32" (0 miles)
Tread Depth = 12/32" (35K miles)
Maintenance = 5 tire rotation and balance every 5K miles (more frequent balancing needed as they wear--as little as 1K miles between)

Experience:

On-Road (Good--when new):

- They will not stay balanced as they wear (at least not for long), more and more weight is needed to balance them and they do not stay balanced as long as other tires have. Rebalancing has been needed between rotations (Discount Tire - Road Force)
- They begin to lose their grip in the rain and snow after about 20-25K miles. I had to drive from Denver to Colorado Springs during the last big snowstorm (speed was greatly reduced due to the conditions) and they are all over the place. They have a 3 peak snow rating, but as they wear effectiveness is reduced on the highway and they will slide in the rain much faster than other tires.
- They are quiet; probably the quietest tire I have had except for Michelin LTX AT2's on my trucks.

Off-road (Jack of all trades and master of none--except maybe powdery sand and snow):

- They work reasonably well in the snow, I have gone through really deep powdery snow and they handled it just fine.
- Loose, deep dry sand will typically find you close to stuck more often than not, wet sand is managed reasonably well.
- Thick clay based mud will find you stuck and flexing your winch muscles. The tread design does not clear sticky mud and you will find they become 4 slicks with zero grip in short order.
- Watery mud is cleared reasonably well, but they are no match for a true M/T.
- They handle rocks "ok", but they will slip and drag you out of your line on side angled inclines and declines.

Noise = 10 (even after 35K miles)
Wear = 9 (even with the weight of my JLUR)
Ride = 7 (9 at first; 4 after 35K miles--due to inability to balance them)
Dry = 9 (even after 35K miles)
Wet = 3 (7 new; 2 after 35K miles)
Snow = 5 (8 off-road--even after 35K miles; 2 on-road after 35K miles)
Mud = 4 (2 in clay/heavy mud; 5 in all other mud)
Sand = 6 (4 in deep dry sand; 8 in wet sand)
Trail = 6 (they can slip in rocks on inclines and declines)
Look = 5 (nothing aggressive or sexy here)
Overall = 6.4
Would I buy again? = No. As a jack of all trades and master of none except noise and perhaps wear they are too expensive for what you are getting. Buy a true A/T tire like a Mickey Thompson Baja A/T and save yourself the trouble.

Ford Bronco KO3 vs KO2 Tires Comparison Look and Technical Analysis 20230813_121909
Ford Bronco KO3 vs KO2 Tires Comparison Look and Technical Analysis 20230813_122006
Ford Bronco KO3 vs KO2 Tires Comparison Look and Technical Analysis 20230813_121925
Ford Bronco KO3 vs KO2 Tires Comparison Look and Technical Analysis 20230813_121949
Ford Bronco KO3 vs KO2 Tires Comparison Look and Technical Analysis 20230813_121936

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am not totally a BFG hater, just a bit underwhelmed with my last set of K02s?
I went with the Toyo RT Trail & will continue to do so.
Toyo are great tires & usually offer a better range in available size options.
IMHO & YMMV! 😉

bikesandguitars

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak, ‘22 Tundra TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve been on the trails in and around Moab and Junction for many years - since 1997 on a regular basis. Baja Boss are the most popular trail tire out there for modified rigs. Ive never taken the time to check load ratings but the BB uses a 3 ply system that is supposedly as stong weight bearing as many 8-10 ply tires.

After the MTBB, is probably the Toyo AT. I’ve always believed that’s because of their sizing and how they fill out the wheel well.

The best tire I’ve ever run on the desert trails was the BFG KM3 Mud Terrain. The big, soft blocks stick to the rock better than any siped tire I’ve run.

I currently run KO2’s. I find they deliver the least amount of compromises when running between highway and trail while living and working at elevation.

chaseshort24

Black Diamond
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 4runner, 1995 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is sarcasm and used to further highlight the point which is still valid--BFG KO2 tires are garbage to anyone using them in any serious A/T scenario. There are ONLY two things they do well--low road noise and low wear rates. Everything else is a joke--I tried to make them work in many different terrains.

A review that I did and a few photos of the vehicle they were on (that was HIGHLY modified for off-road use):

Vehicle = 2019 JLUR with 3.6L, ZF8, & 5.13 Gearing
Empty Weight = 5700 pounds
Lift = 3.5" MC Game Changer
Shocks = 2.5" Fox DSC
Wheels = Icon Alpha; 17x8.5 with 0 offset/4.75" backspace

Tire = BF Goodrich KO2 A/T
Size = 37x12.50x17
Load Range = C
Inflated diameter (Unloaded) = 35.75" (@31 PSI)
Inflated diameter (Loaded) = 35.375" (@31 PSI)
Tread Depth = 15/32" (0 miles)
Tread Depth = 12/32" (35K miles)
Maintenance = 5 tire rotation and balance every 5K miles (more frequent balancing needed as they wear--as little as 1K miles between)

Experience:

On-Road (Good--when new):

- They will not stay balanced as they wear (at least not for long), more and more weight is needed to balance them and they do not stay balanced as long as other tires have. Rebalancing has been needed between rotations (Discount Tire - Road Force)
- They begin to lose their grip in the rain and snow after about 20-25K miles. I had to drive from Denver to Colorado Springs during the last big snowstorm (speed was greatly reduced due to the conditions) and they are all over the place. They have a 3 peak snow rating, but as they wear effectiveness is reduced on the highway and they will slide in the rain much faster than other tires.
- They are quiet; probably the quietest tire I have had except for Michelin LTX AT2's on my trucks.

Off-road (Jack of all trades and master of none--except maybe powdery sand and snow):

- They work reasonably well in the snow, I have gone through really deep powdery snow and they handled it just fine.
- Loose, deep dry sand will typically find you close to stuck more often than not, wet sand is managed reasonably well.
- Thick clay based mud will find you stuck and flexing your winch muscles. The tread design does not clear sticky mud and you will find they become 4 slicks with zero grip in short order.
- Watery mud is cleared reasonably well, but they are no match for a true M/T.
- They handle rocks "ok", but they will slip and drag you out of your line on side angled inclines and declines.

Noise = 10 (even after 35K miles)
Wear = 9 (even with the weight of my JLUR)
Ride = 7 (9 at first; 4 after 35K miles--due to inability to balance them)
Dry = 9 (even after 35K miles)
Wet = 3 (7 new; 2 after 35K miles)
Snow = 5 (8 off-road--even after 35K miles; 2 on-road after 35K miles)
Mud = 4 (2 in clay/heavy mud; 5 in all other mud)
Sand = 6 (4 in deep dry sand; 8 in wet sand)
Trail = 6 (they can slip in rocks on inclines and declines)
Look = 5 (nothing aggressive or sexy here)
Overall = 6.4
Would I buy again? = No. As a jack of all trades and master of none except noise and perhaps wear they are too expensive for what you are getting. Buy a true A/T tire like a Mickey Thompson Baja A/T and save yourself the trouble.

Ford Bronco KO3 vs KO2 Tires Comparison Look and Technical Analysis 20230813_121936
This is a good review. The number 1 thing k02s do well, is they are light. With jeeps and Broncos weight really does matter, if you have an f150 with tons of power than it doesn't. The k02 is also really great in the desert. I don't like my current set of falkens, ridge grapplers suck in the snow. Thinking of going recon grap next.

Sponsored

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
My last set of Ridge Grapplers were not impressive except in sand. They are the absolute worst tire I’ve ever had in snow. I went with KO2’s after and for the most part I really liked them except for their wet road performance. For me they outperformed the Nitto and got longer tread life. I’ll probably try something new the next go around but for now the factory GY’s some how haven’t let me down so I’ll just keep em until they do (probably tomorrow 😂)

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is a good review. The number 1 thing k02s do well, is they are light. With jeeps and Broncos weight really does matter, if you have an f150 with tons of power than it doesn't. The k02 is also really great in the desert. I don't like my current set of falkens, ridge grapplers suck in the snow. Thinking of going recon grap next.
Check out the MT Baja A/Ts, they have had really good reviews in the Wrangler forum.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No one talking about high quality tires like LingLong Mud Terrain? I have found they do a pretty good job of holding air.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the BB uses a 3 ply system that is supposedly as stong weight bearing as many 8-10 ply tires.
Marketing.

Due to technology advances, the actual ply counts have been going down for quite some time. (decades)
Essentially, the industry is slowly moving over to "Load Range _" rated tires and these load ranges correspond to what the old ply ratings were.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/tire-ply-rating

C&P :

What’s A Tire Ply Rating?

A tire ply rating is an expression of the tire’s strength and capacity. The ply rating translates in a very direct way to tire capabilities and limitations, especially when it comes to inflation and load capacity. If you plan to haul, tow, or carry heavy loads with your vehicle, then understanding the ply rating of your tires is a must.

These days, tire ply rating is more commonly expressed as “load range.” The days of cotton layers or plies forming the internal construction of tires are long gone, so the ply rating no longer has a direct connection to a tire’s construction and number of layers. With modern tire engineering and materials it's possible to create greater tire strength and capacity without adding layers.

Modern load ranges correspond to the ply ratings of old. Load range is expressed as a letter, with letters further down the alphabetic order corresponding to increased strength, with higher psi (inflation pressure) potential and heavier load capacity.

The load range scale includes letters “A” through “L,” however, most truck/SUV tires with towing and load capabilities, including LT metric and flotation tires, fall somewhere between “C” and “F.”

Here's how the load range rating (left) corresponds to the old ply rating system (right):

Load Range RatingOld Ply Rating
B4 ply
C6 ply
D8 ply
E10 ply
F12 ply

Load range for LT tires is often indicated adjacent to the tire sizing information on the sidewall of the tire:
Sponsored