Sponsored

Is the factory tranny skid plate available on its own?

OP
OP
TLO

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Nope, just engine and differential
Okay, pretty sure I don't have the engine skid, but from what it looked like, it didn't need one.... 🤷
The only glaring issue I saw underneath was the giant, plastic oil pan.
Unless... My Heritage also has the engine skid.?
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay, pretty sure I don't have the engine skid, but from what it looked like, it didn't need one.... 🤷
The only glaring issue I saw underneath was the giant, plastic oil pan.
Unless... My Heritage also has the engine skid.?
I'm not sure what plates the non-HLE Heritage has, but I do think it has a deflector for the gas tank. This is not really for off roading, it's just to keep rocks and other things from kicking up into it.

If you plan on going off road, I would definitely upgrade to at least a steel gas tank skid (the stock one is plenty good enough) and an engine skid, and upgrade the front skid (the one with wings) to metal if it's not already. You probably also want the transfer case skid (in the back).

Where you go after that (trans, crossmember, A arms, rear diff, rear shock mounts) has to do with how much you want to saddle yourself with. It does start to get heavy. I picked SFR mainly cuz it's really beefy (3/16" to 3/8" steel) but it's also heavier. The stock plates are fine for low-risk off roading, but it's kind've thin (1/16"?).

Reactions: TLO
OP
OP
TLO

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I'm not sure what plates the non-HLE Heritage has, but I do think it has a deflector for the gas tank. This is not really for off roading, it's just to keep rocks and other things from kicking up into it.

If you plan on going off road, I would definitely upgrade to at least a steel gas tank skid (the stock one is plenty good enough) and an engine skid, and upgrade the front skid (the one with wings) to metal if it's not already. You probably also want the transfer case skid (in the back).

Where you go after that (trans, crossmember, A arms, rear diff, rear shock mounts) has to do with how much you want to saddle yourself with. It does start to get heavy. I picked SFR mainly cuz it's really beefy (3/16" to 3/8" steel) but it's also heavier. The stock plates are fine for low-risk off roading, but it's kind've thin (1/16"?).
Maybe a deflector? Looks like a Ford skid. I think Outer Banks has nothing at all, so it doesn't make sense that for would add just a stone deflector. I'll have to do more research.
I def3dont want to add a lot of wait. I'm more a trail runner/overlander style offroad. I don't need durability over boulders, but I also don't need to be stranded because of a fluid leak! Lol

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do the Raptor or 4WP trans skid plates require any additional fasteners or do the mounting points reuse already installed fasteners?
I love OEM but that 4WP part is a good value.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe a deflector? Looks like a Ford skid. I think Outer Banks has nothing at all, so it doesn't make sense that for would add just a stone deflector. I'll have to do more research.
I def3dont want to add a lot of wait. I'm more a trail runner/overlander style offroad. I don't need durability over boulders, but I also don't need to be stranded because of a fluid leak! Lol
The Outer Banks is the Lincoln Bronco; it ain't really for off roading stock. I assume the Heritage is as well to some extent. Hence, not a lot of off road protection.

If you don't go over boulders or rock gardens, or medium ledges that might stick out, you probably don't need the transmission pan. I would say get the stock plates and stick with that, including the gas tank protection. They're light enough, easy to add/remove, and protect the vital stuff for non-serious off roading. Plus the price isn't too bad. You might even be able to find some takeoffs.

I'd give you my used ones (that are banged up...) if you wanted, but I'm not near Canada at all.

Jossman

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 F150,2011 Mustang,2013 F150,2006 HD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
$400 Canadian... Not crazy but... $400 😔
Went with the LOD from Extreme Terrain on my WT.Simple 1 person install using a floor jack [all factory bolt [threaded holes line up + bolts/washers included].Check their website + call with questions.Adds about 30 lbs but protects the plastic tranny pan.Was more concerned about running over something [scrap lumber,et all]on highway more than off road. I used Jason [610] 240-4652 who answered all my questions!

286003430_1904929776373184_5238637717916521791_n.jpeg

OP
OP
TLO

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Went with the LOD from Extreme Terrain on my WT.Simple 1 person install using a floor jack [all factory bolt [threaded holes line up + bolts/washers included].Check their website + call with questions.Adds about 30 lbs but protects the plastic tranny pan.Was more concerned about running over something [scrap lumber,et all]on highway more than off road. I used Jason [610] 240-4652 who answered all my questions!

Ford Bronco Is the factory tranny skid plate available on its own? 286003430_1904929776373184_5238637717916521791_n
Thanks...
Yeah, it's the stuff you don't see, like water crossings, that'll ruin your day.

OP
OP
TLO

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
The Outer Banks is the Lincoln Bronco; it ain't really for off roading stock. I assume the Heritage is as well to some extent. Hence, not a lot of off road protection.

If you don't go over boulders or rock gardens, or medium ledges that might stick out, you probably don't need the transmission pan. I would say get the stock plates and stick with that, including the gas tank protection. They're light enough, easy to add/remove, and protect the vital stuff for non-serious off roading. Plus the price isn't too bad. You might even be able to find some takeoffs.

I'd give you my used ones (that are banged up...) if you wanted, but I'm not near Canada at all.
The factory add-on skids look a lot less appealing, especially considering it still leaves the tranny pan exposed. And $1100 CDN 🤔
4WP looks tempting, especially if I can find an engine skid in the same budget range

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think the HE is based on a Big Bend which I have: It has a good steel factory gas tank skid on the 2 doors. The engine/diff skid is plastic, the Ford steel one can be had for under $200 if you shop around. The transfer case skid is missing, can be had from Ford for around $50. There is no factory skid for the transmission. I have the ASFIR which is nice and results in minimal clearance loss, but is pricy. The 4WP one @Aonarch shared is a real bargain, especially if you have the 2.7 with the extra frame bracing. I'm not sure what the Heritage has for a front bash plate. I have the RC hidden winch so it came with a steel plate.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TLO

TLO

Heritage
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I think the HE is based on a Big Bend which I have: It has a good steel factory gas tank skid on the 2 doors. The engine/diff skid is plastic, the Ford steel one can be had for under $200 if you shop around. The transfer case skid is missing, can be had from Ford for around $50. There is no factory skid for the transmission. I have the ASFIR which is nice and results in minimal clearance loss, but is pricy. The 4WP one @Aonarch shared is a real bargain, especially if you have the 2.7 with the extra frame bracing. I'm not sure what the Heritage has for a front bash plate. I have the RC hidden winch so it came with a steel plate.
The Heritage has a front steel plate... Maybe I saw a plastic engine cover under there and thought it was steel?
I'll check my dealer to see if he can find the part numbers for just the engine and transfer case
Unless @Skip can lend a hand....?

If not... Both these are on sale...
Ford Bronco Is the factory tranny skid plate available on its own? 1000012272

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The factory add-on skids look a lot less appealing, especially considering it still leaves the tranny pan exposed. And $1100 CDN 🤔
4WP looks tempting, especially if I can find an engine skid in the same budget range
$450 for engine, transmission and transfer case isn't too bad. Get a gas tank skid and make sure your front skid is metal, I'm sure you'll be fine.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Heritage has a front steel plate... Maybe I saw a plastic engine cover under there and thought it was steel?
I'll check my dealer to see if he can find the part numbers for just the engine and transfer case
Unless @Skip can lend a hand....?

If not... Both these are on sale...
Ford Bronco Is the factory tranny skid plate available on its own? 1000012272
I think you want @flip . Anyway, crawl under and see if your engine/diff skid is steel, they really look the same. And these 4wp sale prices look good.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought the Mabett one was very affordable. It’s powder coated aluminum. Ordered mine from Amazon. Easy peasy install.

No factory trans skid available.
x2. If I was rock crawling I might look elsewhere (based upon feedback some hardcore guys who cracked the Mabett skid). But for my use case - sticks/limbs and the occasional underwater rock - this one works well.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs