Sponsored

Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers?

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Here's what happens in the sun if you don't vent them:

Bulging can be mitigated with an insulated cover (sorry it's on a Wrangler)...

InsulPaxPrototype1e.jpg
I need that insulated cover for my water container.
Sponsored

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I used to carry rotopax but never needed them for myself or within my group as we top off at the closest spot from the trail. However, I can say that a couple of times, had to help another rig with fuel.

Sad to say, I wheeled lightly with a group of nice looking rigs before, every rig had rotopax, wasn't aware that they were not filled. I can't put into words my reaction when one called out on the radio asking who had fuel. I was the only one but diesel, had asked why no one fills them, and the response was "I don't want a bulging rotopax, looks ugly". I didn't wheel with them much longer.

I have stopped carrying them but have them in the garage ready to be mounted if I do a longer multi day trip like Mojave or others, just as a precaution. I had a 4 gallon but gave it to a friend, will probably buy another and add that for almost 6 gallons on a multi day trip just in case.

Last edited:

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
In the summer we are in the 4C region. I guide in Patagonia and Mongolia. Except for Mongolia, I see aux fuel containers as a bright, shiny fashion accessory that says, “Look how hardcore I am!”

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a couple of 6-gal jerry cans we take in the trailer for the side-by-side, and plan to put a mount for 1 on the Bronco. But I won’t ever leave it on there when we’re just driving around town. Gasoline goes bad and who really wants fuel hanging off the back of their rig in traffic the way people drive these days?

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1000003258.jpg

The two doors gas tank is a measly 17.4 gallons. Four extra gallons of gas can get me 70-90 extra miles. That can be a make or break moment.

Funny enough, lst year I found myself 92 miles away from the closet gas station with a little over a 1/4 of a tank left in my GX 460. I hypermilled that thing to the last drop to make it, and I did! After that I vowed to always keep extra gas on a remote excursion.

I've only run out of gas once in my life, and thankfully it was about a mile downhill from where I was. No power steering or power brakes isn't fun.
I looked at your very detailed (and helpful!) build log but don't see the spare tire-rotopax attachment system in the picture above. If it's mentioned earlier in this thread then I apologize for asking but could you please share more info about that? Thanks.

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a couple of 6-gal jerry cans we take in the trailer for the side-by-side, and plan to put a mount for 1 on the Bronco. But I won’t ever leave it on there when we’re just driving around town. Gasoline goes bad and who really wants fuel hanging off the back of their rig in traffic the way people drive these days?
Only if it comes with a bumper sticker that says "My other car is a Pinto!". 😜

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
One place where I have gone is about 10 miles from a gas station. At that offroad park I arrived with 3/4 of tank of fuel. I spent about 3 hours driving around, over obstacles, around obstacles, and just generally had fun. No high speed runs. My odometer showed I went 8 miles at that place. I got the low fuel warning on an obstacle. When you spend most of your time in a lower gear, you burn through fuel much faster than if you are on a highway cruising. I didn't have to air up to go get gas, but I did have to wash off the vehicle to make sure I didn't carry rocks onto the road or drop any mud or clumps of dirt.

There are trails I could go on that are 20 miles long, but can take 2 days to cross. And many sections are more than 30 miles from fuel, once you get to a road that can take you there. Bringing fuel along for that is worth it.

But then most people buying Broncos just don't go offroad that much, if at all. Lots of shows, not a lot of go. Which is fine, everyone lines something different. I made a deal with myself that I wasn't going to order the sasquatch package and not use it.
So I use mine
drj1pD7.png

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Wranglers, looking at a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do you know where to get those covers that are quality?
I need that insulated cover for my water container.
The insulated Rotopax cover pictured is a proof-of-concept under consideration by Overland Outfitters (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/ford-bronco.html#/) made for testing. They haven't decided yet if or when it will go into production. It does work quite well but OO isn't sure if there will be enough demand for it to make it a product.

Here's another view of the product with an optional matching large bag that attaches for additional cargo:

Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? InsulPaxTG3

It also has a MOLLE grid so MOLLE pouches could be attached to it instead of the matching side bag.

They've been displaying it at shows to get feedback; they'll probably have it at Overland West next month.

Full disclosure, I'm not an employee of Overland Outfitters but the insulated Rotopax cover is one of a number of Bronco products I designed for them, the rest can be seen at their web site linked above. I don't sell anything myself but I do design work for a number of offroad vehicle and trailer companies; one of the other Bronco projects I worked on recently is for MORryde (https://www.morryde.com/products-cat/camping-expedition-support-jeep-wrangler-jk-accessories/) - a no-drill installation kit to install their Trail Kitchen in a Bronco. This is the Trail Kitchen in a Jeep, sorry I don't have photos of the full kitchen in a Bronco yet:

Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? MORryde2

Another view of the insulated Rotopax cover, this time with MOLLE pouches attached:

Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? InsulPaxPrototype1f

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The insulated Rotopax cover pictured is a proof-of-concept under consideration by Overland Outfitters (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/ford-bronco.html#/) made for testing. They haven't decided yet if or when it will go into production. It does work quite well but OO isn't sure if there will be enough demand for it to make it a product.

Here's another view of the product with an optional matching large bag that attaches for additional cargo:

Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? InsulPaxPrototype1f

It also has a MOLLE grid so MOLLE pouches could be attached to it instead of the matching side bag.

They've been displaying it at shows to get feedback; they'll probably have it at Overland West next month.

Full disclosure, I'm not an employee of Overland Outfitters but the insulated Rotopax cover is one of a number of Bronco products I designed for them, the rest can be seen at their web site linked above. I don't sell anything myself but I do design work for a number of offroad vehicle and trailer companies; one of the other Bronco projects I worked on recently is for MORryde (https://www.morryde.com/products-cat/camping-expedition-support-jeep-wrangler-jk-accessories/) - a no-drill installation kit to install their Trail Kitchen in a Bronco. This is the Trail Kitchen in a Jeep, sorry I don't have photos of the full kitchen in a Bronco yet:

Another view of the insulated Rotopax cover, this time with MOLLE pouches attached:

I'd buy two immediately.

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sorry for the noob question.

So I'm having a debate with myself about mounting gas carriers to a bronco (or any off road vehicle). I feel like if I ever offroaded far enough away from the nearest gas station and ran out of gas, I'd probably be about 200-300 miles away. An emergency gas source (Jerry can or rotopax), with the mpg on these vehicles, at best I might get me 90 miles back towards home (two 3 gallon rotopax at 15mpg in an off-road environment) and still stranded. Am I missing something?
its a peace of mind thing for people that push the limits. The average person carrying one doesn’t need it.

I’ve used one twice and been carrying for 2 years on my Bronco. Before that I used it once on my Jeep.

The big time that comes to mind is a snow trip I made with a friend. We were only 40 miles from a gas station and filled up when we started the trail. We pushed 3 feet of snow in a big, uphill 20 mile Loop. It was a blizzard, we were going very slow and using a ton of gas to push through. At the very end of the loop where it comes back out to the main road we discovered a massive, 15 foot berm that continued as far as we could see in the blizzard. A drop off the mountain on one end and the steep incline up the mountain on the other. The snow drift berm was impassable.

By this time, the snow has filled in our tracks and added almost another foot on top. With no choice we turned around and drove back down the way we came.

My buddy that had done all the plowing to this point was now running on fumes. We added my gas can to his Bronco, switched me to the front and barely made it back to the gas station.

Good times.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I could definitely see some scenarios where extra gas could be a life saver just to keep the engine running vs dying from exposure. Either stuck in the wilderness or a huge traffic pile-up. Or trying to get away from a natural disaster like a hurricane.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well it's not always the projected gas mileage. Take a trail like Dusy-Erishim in Ca that is roughly 33.5 miles and maybe 15 miles to the only game in town gas station on the mountain. In the course of that trail it will take you about 4 full 8 hour plus driving days to complete while traversing numerous elevation changes. My XJ (white one in pics) at the time had a 20 gallon tank. Average 15 miles per gallon on the hi-way. The math on paper says I should have about a 300 mile range, should be no problem getting 50 miles out of that. Well carrying an additional 5 gallons it should be 375 miles of range on paper. We were still sweating getting to the gas station.

Spending day after day in low range can suck up the gas 🤠
10K Ft at Kaiser Pass with Mt. Whitney in the background.
Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? IMG_4564
Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? Picture 066
Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? IMG_4665

Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? IMG_4585
Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? ph-10061

Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? IMG_4745
Sponsored

Last edited: