Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

JimboSlice

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2018 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMG_2301.jpeg
IMG_2300.jpeg
IMG_2263.jpeg

I’m pretty happy with how my flat tow setup turned out.
I ordered by Bronco with the modular bumper, but was required to switch to the capable bumper to get my allocation. So I made a quick swap to the ford performance tow hooks.
I’m using a blue ox alpha 2 tow bar, and universal d ring adapters for the blue ox bar. RVI brake 3 system with an Ankler 521 power station seatbelted in the front seat to provide uninterrupted 12v power to the brake system.

Gen Y hitches makes a nice 10K rated adapter to raise up my hitch for flat towing the Bronco now and can still be used if we lift it more. It also fits a double bike rack between the Rv and Bronco while still allowing tight turning. I had to order longer safety chains and coiled power cord to make this work well. We also mount another couple bikes behind the Bronco on a swing out carrier.
We are getting excited to head to the Keys for Christmas and New Years with the new setup.
I am going to go with tis set up, thanks for posting. Can you tell me which bike rack that is?
Sponsored

6inthefamily

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going to go with tis set up, thanks for posting. Can you tell me which bike rack that is?
I use a Yakima hold up 2 bike carrrier. One behind the RV and one behind the Bronco.

lamokadave

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice and tidy

and yes Bsenecal I have the Lode brackets so I can use the recovery hooks.
Id like to duplicate how and where you mounted your 6 pin plug. How did you get it to mount into the inner elliptical hole so that it sits flush. I tried to fit my Curt 6 pin in that area and it's way too large without cutting out that inner ellipse. We just ordered a Hopkins in case it's significantly smaller. Did you need to mod that opening?

AUG41

Badlands
First Name
Marcelino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Friend has a machine shop- so when we took off bumper we took off inner bracket of the bumper then he cut around it and repainted it before we reassembled the bumper. You can mark the inner bracket with a pencil so you know how much material needs to removed. The tricky part is removing material on the plug to fit under the cover and clear the tabs. We then used stainless machine self tapping screws to attach the plug. After we drilled a pilot-it will to go through the bumper and almost or into the bracket depending on length of screws

Sponsored

WVBroncoMark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and getting set up to flat tow my Bronco. Appreciate all the great posts and info here in this thread! I just have a question about the LOD brackets. From previous posts, it seems some use them and some do not. When I upgraded my D-rings on the Capable bumper to the Ford Performance Tow Hooks, the frame horns seemed fairly beefy, so I did not add the LOD brackets. Question: are the LOD brackets a must? Or are they added more for convenience for a place to attach safety cables?
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_7029.JPEG

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and getting set up to flat tow my Bronco. Appreciate all the great posts and info here in this thread! I just have a question about the LOD brackets. From previous posts, it seems some use them and some do not. When I upgraded my D-rings on the Capable bumper to the Ford Performance Tow Hooks, the frame horns seemed fairly beefy, so I did not add the LOD brackets. Question: are the LOD brackets a must? Or are they added more for convenience for a place to attach safety cables?
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_7029.JPEG
Because some bumpers have been completely ripped off the frame during recovery, made some of us think the LOD brackets might be a good idea for flat towing.

lamokadave

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and getting set up to flat tow my Bronco. Appreciate all the great posts and info here in this thread! I just have a question about the LOD brackets. From previous posts, it seems some use them and some do not. When I upgraded my D-rings on the Capable bumper to the Ford Performance Tow Hooks, the frame horns seemed fairly beefy, so I did not add the LOD brackets. Question: are the LOD brackets a must? Or are they added more for convenience for a place to attach safety cables? In the bumper attachments
If you search YouTube for LOD tie in brackets install, you'll find a video of a guy who was rescued in Moab by Matt's Recovery. He speaks about the weakness of the front recovery points on the Bronco. I also asked a mechanic at my local dealer. He had first hand experience with weakness of the bumper attachment as well.
I have a BL SAS with modular bumper. The LOD brackets interfered with both the bumper and front bash plate so I just cut the hook section of the outer brackets off.
There are frame stubs where non SAS models have crash bars. Those offer opportunity to be used as attachment points for safety cables.

2ndgenirish

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if the factory modular bumper on a 2023 Raptor is the same factory setup as a Badlands? That is, do Raptors need the LOD brackets?

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does anyone know if the factory modular bumper on a 2023 Raptor is the same factory setup as a Badlands? That is, do Raptors need the LOD brackets?
The YouTube bumper attachment failure mentioned above was a Raptor I believe. Pretty sure all the framehorns and hardware are identical.

Sponsored

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you search YouTube for LOD tie in brackets install, you'll find a video of a guy who was rescued in Moab by Matt's Recovery. He speaks about the weakness of the front recovery points on the Bronco. I also asked a mechanic at my local dealer. He had first hand experience with weakness of the bumper attachment as well.
I have a BL SAS with modular bumper. The LOD brackets interfered with both the bumper and front bash plate so I just cut the hook section of the outer brackets off.
There are frame stubs where non SAS models have crash bars. Those offer opportunity to be used as attachment points for safety cables.
If you have the ability to bend the LOD brackets, (press brake required) you can bend the 'hook section' outward 60 degrees parallel to the bottom edge 2" up from the bottom edge and it will clear the modular bumper, not sure about the capable bumper. I then used a 1/2" quick link: Curt Threaded Quick Link - 1/2" Diameter - 3,300 lbs CURT Accessories and Parts C82932 (etrailer.com) that extended down far enough between the bumper and the front of the bash plate to connect the safety cables to. I had to do a little creative hammering on the front edge of the bash plate (~1/8") for the ring 'nut' to clear, (I have the crash bars and wanted to retain them).

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 1715904472785-di

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 1715904864966-qz
Sponsored