Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey All!

I bet I'm gonna get some fun responses for all this, but here we go. As a person who grew up riding in some very uncomfortable vehicles, I have a soft spot for the experience of my back seat passengers (99% of which is solely my own Kiddo)....so I've already taken on a few tasks to try to improve the situation - lights, and a bit of dremel work to the HVAC a while ago - but nothing really helped get the back seat warmer/cooler faster, and I definitely felt for my little one when temperature complaints were made. Enter....madness? lol

Cutting right to the chase, here's the plastic piece off the driver side/inner tailgate - I know a lot of folks put some air up stuff or little storage bits here. If you're not aware, there's a cabin pressure vent behind the spare tire, that's my desired vent. I drilled pilot holes and ground down the back side of the plastic louvers such that the fans would lay flat on the back side, then covered the rest of the open spaces (as well as the large opening closest to this space on the tailgate itself) with duct tape.
Ford Bronco Dual 12-volt fans in the tailgate -> HVAC Assist 4door image55

Here's the positive wired to the Passenger/Rear wheel well (white with orange stripe?) aux switch wire, duped the ground to existing.
Ford Bronco Dual 12-volt fans in the tailgate -> HVAC Assist 4door Picture44

Mid-install. Took parts of the Tailgate table off so that I could run the wiring behind it, then duct taped the large hole closest to the top right of the table to keep the air from pumping back out into the cabin.
Ford Bronco Dual 12-volt fans in the tailgate -> HVAC Assist 4door Picture11

A little closer, tied the two cable paths together.
Ford Bronco Dual 12-volt fans in the tailgate -> HVAC Assist 4door Picture22

All installed! (Admittedly this pic is just 1 fan, while 2 are now installed).
Ford Bronco Dual 12-volt fans in the tailgate -> HVAC Assist 4door imag66

I ran them off Aux 6 (considered adding a switch, but...why? and I can still do that later if I want), and have done some seat-of-the-pants testing by sitting in the cargo area and holding my hand over the partly-open front window with it on. I'm proud to say it makes a noticeable difference in cooling the bronco faster.
Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Great idea actually. I have made fans for my dog crates. They want almost $300 ea from the crate mfg and I can make them for $15.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dadjoke

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Big Bend 4-Door 2.7 MIC Auto Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I hadn't even thought about the cost haha, but yea this was pretty cost effective since I had everything except the fans already laying around. Probably only about $30-40 in material all in?

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Velociraptor 400
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I love fans. I don't care where you put them.
I used to hang a simple box fan from bungie's over my cot in the fish camp barracks to keep the mosquitoes off at night.
I might be able to swing something like that in the Bronco.
Thanks for the idea. Looks like it's working for you Great!!!
Sponsored