Sponsored

Cold 10 Speed Transmission Reverse to Drive Engages Slowly...

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I did search, but i didn't really find anything.

This is my first Ford 10 speed transmission. I'm just over 1,000 miles right now. I've been noticing that when it's cold and i reverse down my driveway then put into drive, it takes longer than any transmission I've ever had to engage drive. The rest of the forward gears shift fine when cold. Once the transmission is warm, it shifts much much quicker from reverse to drive....it's just when its cold it takes longer than I'm used to. Is this normal for these 10 speeds? Do any of you experience this too? I mostly think it's "normal", but started to second guess myself....so, figured i would ask other Bronco owners. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyPete

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anyone?

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is this "cold" of which you speak. :LOL: Sorry, Tucson joke.

Do you mean cold outside, if so, how cold? Or is this the vehicle not warmed up yet?

Phil Brown

Big Bend
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 F350, 1930 model A, 69 mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ours seem to be the same, but really it's only an extra second or so and only before things are up to full operating temperature. After that things shift fine, so I'm not really worried about it for now

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Haven't really noticed this, but I'll report back once Michigan winter settles in.

Have noticed upon initial cold start that shifting from park to drive or reverse nets an alarmingly clunky noise.

Sponsored

DKG

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have absolutely noted this on my 2.7 OBX. For me, I just let it sit in the driveway to do a full warm-up before I drive it. And that seems to fix it. I know it’s not ecologically the best thing to do :)

OP
OP
CrazyPete

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is this "cold" of which you speak. :LOL: Sorry, Tucson joke.

Do you mean cold outside, if so, how cold? Or is this the vehicle not warmed up yet?
Not really talking about cold outside temps here in Buffalo, NY yet (low 50s F), but more just the transmission temp. I reverse down a 120' driveway and once i shift to drive, it takes like 2-3ish seconds before engaging. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's definitely longer than any other vehicle I've had to date. So, i was wondering if that's "normal" for these 10 speeds.

MsPickles

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't know about shifting from Reverse to Drive, since I park backwards, but it does not shift as nice when it is cold. Cold being not at operating temperature. Below 170F trans temp. Feels a bit clunky at times. Once it hits operating temp, shifts smoother going through the gears.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not really talking about cold outside temps here in Buffalo, NY yet (low 50s F), but more just the transmission temp. I reverse down a 120' driveway and once i shift to drive, it takes like 2-3ish seconds before engaging. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's definitely longer than any other vehicle I've had to date. So, i was wondering if that's "normal" for these 10 speeds.
I have not noted that. Though I generally end up with a few minutes of warmup waiting on wife and/or kids.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Although I have not experienced this in my Bronc. I can say that the wife's new Exploder, has the dial not a shift lever, is absolutely horrid. :( The thing will do what you are describing from cold start to fully warm. It drives me crazy. ANY time you go from drive to reverse or reverse to drive there is an easy 3 second delay. It is so bad it makes me think the trans is not going to shift so I give it gas and press harder on the brake until it finally "clunk" goes into the gear. HORRIBLE.

Like I said my Bronc is perfect, no delay. For the record the Bronc is cable actuated not an electric switch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CrazyPete

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Although I have not experienced this in my Bronc. I can say that the wife's new Exploder, has the dial not a shift lever, is absolutely horrid. :( The thing will do what you are describing from cold start to fully warm. It drives me crazy. ANY time you go from drive to reverse or reverse to drive there is an easy 3 second delay. It is so bad it makes me think the trans is not going to shift so I give it gas and press harder on the brake until it finally "clunk" goes into the gear. HORRIBLE.

Like I said my Bronc is perfect, no delay. For the record the Bronc is cable actuated not an electric switch.
Yeah, mine only does the slow shift once when i first start it and reverse and then put it into drive. Otherwise, it doesn't delay at all.

Happycampinman

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No issues with ours. Bronco has been left outside in single digits overnight. Hop in, start it up and go. No problem.

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yup, just needs to warm up.

OP
OP
CrazyPete

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No issues with ours. Bronco has been left outside in single digits overnight. Hop in, start it up and go. No problem.
Yeah, mine will shift immediately into reverse, and go, when i first start with zero warm-up. It's when i get to the end of my 120' driveway and shift it into drive, there's about a 2 second delay. Only does it that one time...once it warm, the shifts between reverse and drive are almost immediately.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sometimes mine will be a little slow to shift from reverse to drive, but not 3 seconds slow, maybe about a second. I’ve just learned to be a bit more methodical in my actions and try to slow myself down. Once it warms up, I don’t notice it
Sponsored