Rcautox

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a standard bumper and trying to start the thread for a Mabett license plate holder. Left side was easy but the right just won’t catch. I’ve tried swapping the provided M6 bolts and using another one but It seems like only the OEM M6 bolt works. Anyone run into this issue? It’s pushing a 15 min job into hours unnecessarily.
Sponsored

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m sure you’ve tried starting on the problem hole first and see maybe if the brackets out of alignment?

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m sure you’ve tried starting on the problem hole first and see maybe if the brackets out of alignment?
Along those lines - try loosening the first bolt up a good bit. Once you have both bolts started then go and tighten them in. This trick works a lot of the time, especially when the holes/mounts don't have any play. That's assuming the bolt will thread into the hole at all, and it's not just a misaligned/tight mounting bracket.

It also wouldn't be the first time I've found a bolt that isn't quite the right thread pitch, and that's why the OEM bolt works but the Mabett one won't. Could also just be the first thread isn't quite smooth (happens a lot like when you cut a bolt shorter) and it just needs to be filed off a bit so it can engage.

If the OEM bolt wouldn't work I'd say chase the hole with a tap, but I don't think that will fix the problem, or that the problem is your bumper.

There isn't really anything special about OEM bolts that I've found that would prevent a proper non-OEM bolt from working.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Along those lines - try loosening the first bolt up a good bit. Once you have both bolts started then go and tighten them in. This trick works a lot of the time, especially when the holes/mounts don't have any play. That's assuming the bolt will thread into the hole at all, and it's not just a misaligned/tight mounting bracket.

It also wouldn't be the first time I've found a bolt that isn't quite the right thread pitch, and that's why the OEM bolt works but the Mabett one won't. Could also just be the first thread isn't quite smooth (happens a lot like when you cut a bolt shorter) and it just needs to be filed off a bit so it can engage.

If the OEM bolt wouldn't work I'd say chase the hole with a tap, but I don't think that will fix the problem, or that the problem is your bumper.

There isn't really anything special about OEM bolts that I've found that would prevent a proper non-OEM bolt from working.
Seconded.

That's not even a trick, per se, but physics.

I have found that OEM bolts can have tighter or looser tolerances sometimes. Also, check to see if the OEM threads are blunted and the others are sharper/overall wider and trying to cut deeper when you screw it in.

Sometimes, in addition to or instead of chasing the threads with a tap, I have had success running a bolt with poor tolerances in and out of a die. Sometimes it's a matter of one bolt getting an uneven coating and the die takes that "blob" off.

OP
OP

Rcautox

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the suggestions. I pulled the bumper off to get a better angle at the right M6 bolt and finally got it to catch. Ended up being quicker than wrestling with the odd angle and crappy OEM nut in the bumper.
Sponsored