Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had a soft top years ago with my wrangler and decided I was done with that experience. When the MOD went away, I switched to the soft top and I could not be happier. Be clear, this is not your soft top of yesteryear.
The mechanism is very well-designed and highly functional. The half-open feature (like the Jeep) is great. The clamshell feature is actually very useful and I find myself poping it up every time I go back there for something. The cloth is second to none, very high-end.
As for the noise, I was on a hands free call yesterday at 75 mph with no problem on either end. As mentioned, 55 or less is comparable to any other vehicle.
The top down experience is fantastic, as one would expect. I purchased a GearShade and love the top down or 1/2 down.
The only two negatives for me are adjacent sounds around the back 1/4 where the windows are. You will hear everything around the back of your vehicle. A loud motorcycle at a red light can be annoying. The second is the aforementioned water leak when you put the window down at a drive through. I have a towel on my arm rest, so it winds up coming in handy on those rare occasions.
When the MOD comes out, I am sure I will drool. As for the MIC, meh, the soft top was the better choice for me by far.
Thanks Jax. The replies so far have been what I had hoped. The wife is on board now, so I'm 99% of the way to changing. I've got an email sent to Granger for a ball park figure on a delivery date if I change. If that comes back as I expect (Zach just posted that they are getting 42 allocations in Q1 of '22), I think we'll make the change. Heck, I'm not getting any younger and would surely love to get the Bronco sooner than later. :)
Sponsored

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have only ever had hard tops on my Jeeps. And swore it would be the same when I got a Bronco. My reasons were more security than anything else. I live in the Mid-Atlantic and our winters are getting more mild every year. But after test driving a soft top Bronco I changed my tune. So easy to go open air. And when the top is open there is very little turbulence. On my Gladiator when you take the freedom panels off it is very turbulent. Take the doors off and it's like driving in a hurricane. Not very enjoyable.

I'm just going to have to adjust how I do things. Not keep anything valuable in sight. Buy a security enclosure for the rear. A lock box for the center console. Etc.... The trade-off of going open air at any time will be worth it.

Bituman

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Raptor, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When the MOD comes out, I am sure I will drool. As for the MIC, meh, the soft top was the better choice for me by far.
I finally switched to a soft top. But it wasnā€™t so much that I wanted a soft top. It was more so that I didnā€™t want the MIC. When Ford comes out with another hard top (MOD???) or aftermarket delivers, then I will switch to that.

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Had originally reserved a Wildtrak but decided I wanted it this year and went to an OBX soft top. Best decision I ever made. Had it a little over a month now. No complaints. Security is the biggest concern as we saw someone else post earlier today. But youā€™ll just have to remember not to leave stuff in it. There are options of course to make it more secure but if someone wants in, theyā€™re going to get in regardless which top you have. The soft top is convenient and stylish. I like that itā€™s not grey in anyway and a solid black color. No water getting in so far and yes you can hear everything outside but itā€™s not overly annoying. When I first got it I told myself Iā€™ll be getting a hard top at some point but now Iā€™m not so sure. Like other posters have said, the ease of use and availability to just pop it open real quick is really nice. I just wish I wouldā€™ve done it sooner or wish that Ford wouldā€™ve offered the soft top on every model from the get go. Cause then Iā€™d have my Wildtrak instead šŸ˜‰

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 4Runner, ā€˜16 BMW 328i, ā€˜96 Stang GT, ā€˜19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I really believe the decision comes down to where you live and how you use it.

A gentleman earlier in the thread is firmly against a soft top, but heā€™s from Canada. Iā€™d be against the soft top there too!

Iā€˜m in AZ and had a Wrangler with a hard top and bought a soft top later. From that point on, the expensive hard top hung dangling over my Jeep in my garage, while my soft top was either up 20% of the time or down 80% of the time. One of the best things about a Wrangler or Bronco is the feeling of having that top down. Youā€™re down South, so I think youā€™d love the soft top.

That said, I am planning to run the soft top nearly stock with SAS, but in a few years once a decent white hard top option comes out purchase a hard top and white fenders to be able to switch back and forth between a vintage looking hard top and a top down beach and desert runner. You can always add a hard top later, and then have more options than the MIC 2.0

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I switched to get built earlier, with the plan to buy a hard top later. I don't think I will ever get the hard top at this point...the soft top is just too easy to throw back any time I want. I am very lucky I got "forced" to go to a soft top, because I wouldn't have liked the MIC at all I don't think. I also think that if you have the MIC, you have to buy a soft top at some point anyway for summer...so just go soft top first. It's the way to go.

BroncoSong

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I switched and LOVE my soft top. Iā€™m actually surprised how much I love it but weā€™ve had a warm winter thus far in GA and the ease of throwing the top back, even at a stop light is awesome. Might eventually get a hard top for colder winters but right now I am extremely pleased. Hope that is helpful. Merry Christmas!

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I switched to a soft top to get my bronco earlier as well. after about 1K miles, i think it is just fine. Here are my personal pros and cons

cons:
- during very heavy crosswinds (50mph+) the top can lift a little, letting in some air/debris
- probably doesn't do well in a car wash if you like using those
- easier to break into
- plastic windows scratch easy
- some may complain of the "hassle" to lift it for full access to the cargo area
- no roof rack/cage options yet

pros
- less hail damage if you live in an area with it
- easy to operate and convenient
- not that noisy, can still have normal conversation with passengers/bluetooth
- safari mode, all the air and no sun
- no leak/rattle issues that some hardtops are experiencing

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I switched to a soft top to get my order sooner. Although I prefer the look of the MIC top better, the soft top has surprised me - Iā€™m very happy with it so far. I think Iā€™ll open the top more often in the Summer too.

Anyone come up with a solution to stop the water pouring in when you open the doors? Thatā€™s my only issue.

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sitting here in purgatory with a 10/04/20 res at Granger with the hard top option I am trying to rectify my decision to change my order to the soft top. I don't have any aversions to the soft top, I just wanted a hard top. So if you good folks that have gone with the soft would let me know how you like it, and if you've had any problems with your soft top, would give a quick review I would greatly appreciate the help. I'm at a possible 2024 delivery date with the hard top option, and if the soft top is good as I expect, I'll just change in hopes of getting a sooner delivery date.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and a blessed and Happy New Year

Jim
Few thoughts:
- compared to my 1995 Jeep Wrangler (only good vehicle reference point) the soft top is not loud at all, even at higher speeds. In my opinion, you can have a normal conversation. Is it louder than my wife's Lexus SUV, yes, and so she complains that it's "loud" but it's all relative.

-have washed the vehicle a few times in the self car wash with pressure water/soap, no issues with leaks. A stream of water will enter to vehicle when you open the door, for sure.

- Aesthetically not pleasing, even compared to the bestop I've been watching on the TFL videos. I would say, imo, especially so on the 4 door vs. 2 door. I don't think the 2-door soft top looks bad at all, just something about the extra distance and the floppiness of the OEM soft top.

- General impression is that it is high quality, durable, etc. but only time will tell. Definitely not drafty or cold UNLESS you get hit side-on by 60 mph gusts, which we experienced here in the Rocky Mountain foothills last week. I definitely felt the breeze at that point, but a very rare situation.

- having the vehicle is better than waiting! I'm almost 100% going to go with an aftermarket hardtop for 2/3 of the year and probably go 1/3 of the year soft top. Just have to work out that storage issue. Unfortunately have not had any reason to remove or even flip back the front panel yet, so no idea about that, although the two front latches are big and sinfully easy to operate.

I'd go get that bronco as soon as you can! Nothing like having equity in a motor vehicle straight off the lot! ha!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you all for taking time to help with this decision. All I need now is a reply to the email I sent Granger, and then I'll make the decision to change or not. If my napkin calculations are close I think I'll get a favorable answer.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I switched to a soft top to get my order sooner. Although I prefer the look of the MIC top better, the soft top has surprised me - Iā€™m very happy with it so far. I think Iā€™ll open the top more often in the Summer too.

Anyone come up with a solution to stop the water pouring in when you open the doors? Thatā€™s my only issue.
Gently push up on the top over your head to shed the water before you open the door.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gently push up on the top over your head to shed the water before you open the door.
Thanks - Iā€™ve tried that and it helps a bit, but not a ton.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A gentleman earlier in the thread is firmly against a soft top, but heā€™s from Canada. Iā€™d be against the soft top there too!
Nicest thing anyone ever called me, lol.
Sponsored