Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sitting here in purgatory with a 10/04/20 res at Granger with the hard top option I am trying to rectify my decision to change my order to the soft top. I don't have any aversions to the soft top, I just wanted a hard top. So if you good folks that have gone with the soft would let me know how you like it, and if you've had any problems with your soft top, would give a quick review I would greatly appreciate the help. I'm at a possible 2024 delivery date with the hard top option, and if the soft top is good as I expect, I'll just change in hopes of getting a sooner delivery date.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and a blessed and Happy New Year

Jim
Sponsored

Gcardieri

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa fe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I originally ordered a hard top but finally caved for the soft top in Sept, and took delivery of my Badlands last week. Although not as “sleek” looking, the soft top is highly functional, super convenient, not loud at all (even on the highway), and the cabin has been very comfortable temperature wise. I’m very happy with the decision I made.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I originally ordered a hard top but finally caved for the soft top in Sept, and took delivery of my Badlands last week. Although not as “sleek” looking, the soft top is highly functional, super convenient, not loud at all (even on the highway), and the cabin has been very comfortable temperature wise. I’m very happy with the decision I made.
Thank you George. Enjoy that new Bronco.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was lucky enough to find a manual at a lot that I could buy and drive away with. If I was still going to be waiting for an order regardless, I'd wait for what I really wanted.

As I've said before on this forum, the soft top is nothing but negatives (for me and my preferences/lifestyle/whatever) and absolutely no positives (again, for me, other than being available). It's an eyesore, it's loud (compared to a hard top), it provides NO security (not that it really matters, thieves are too dumb to unclip the side panels).

Personally if I was to make the decision again, I'd have waited.

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not taken delivery, but did switch to a soft top as well. I will still purchase a hard top later. When I test drove a 4-door WildTrak soft top at my dealer I was comfortable with the noise levels. They are louder, no getting around that. And My wife still wants me to get a hard top later, but I will be fine for a year or two.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was lucky enough to find a manual at a lot that I could buy and drive away with. If I was still going to be waiting for an order regardless, I'd wait for what I really wanted.

As I've said before on this forum, the soft top is nothing but negatives (for me and my preferences/lifestyle/whatever) and absolutely no positive(beyond being available).

Personally if I was to make the decision again, I'd have waited.
I get it zombie. We've owned convertibles for years (have 2 now), so there really isn't any negatives for us to get the soft top on the Bronco. The want for the hard top wasn't a solid want like the 2.7L I also have on my order. The 2.7L will stay no matter what. :)

Last edited:

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I swapped to a soft top to get a 21. I love the ease of putting the top down. Lot of road noise comes thru the back windows when the top is up. 75 mph = 75-77 decibels on my phone app, at 55 it’s not too bad. Rain isn’t much louder than a normal vehicle. When the doors are opened during rain water drips off the top. I live in Georgia where I can ride around topless a lot (like this weekend) so I think it’s worth swapping.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Seconded, I caved from a 2dr to a 4dr soft top, and I honestly can't believe I was dumb enough to not have done it sooner. I still like the look of the 2dr more, but the soft top is perfectly functional and water tight. Being able to get full sun in 10 seconds is fantastic too.

Will disagree with the other poster tho, it does seem to get pretty loud around 70+ mph. Just means I can't hear the screaming kids as well...

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have not taken delivery, but did switch to a soft top as well. I will still purchase a hard top later. When I test drove a 4-door WildTrak soft top at my dealer I was comfortable with the noise levels. They are louder, no getting around that. And My wife still wants me to get a hard top later, but I will be fine for a year or two.
That's the line of thinking we have also Matt. If things move on like the Jeep, there will be hard tops and soft tops for sale on the forum in several years. We could take advantage of that when the times comes if we want. The noise of a soft top isn't bothersome for us as we own 2 convertibles now, and have an idea of what to expect.

OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I swapped to a soft top to get a 21. I love the ease of putting the top down. Lot of road noise comes thru the back windows when the top is up. 75 mph = 75-77 decibels on my phone app, at 55 it’s not too bad. Rain isn’t much louder than a normal vehicle. When the doors are opened during rain water drips off the top. I live in Georgia where I can ride around topless a lot (like this weekend) so I think it’s worth swapping.
We have the same problem with rain in our Jeep. Open the door when it's raining, and get your Saturday night bath at the same time. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wanted33

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Seconded, I caved from a 2dr to a 4dr soft top, and I honestly can't believe I was dumb enough to not have done it sooner. I still like the look of the 2dr more, but the soft top is perfectly functional and water tight. Being able to get full sun in 10 seconds is fantastic too.

Will disagree with the other poster tho, it does seem to get pretty loud around 70+ mph.
Ummm, no kids, so I'm safe there.:cool: I do like the operation of the Bronco soft top. Like you say, 10 seconds, and you've in the sun. With our Jeep hard top it's remove the 2 panels, store them in the back, reverse the process everytime you want to stop somewhere. As I stated in another post we are used to the increased noise level as we have 2 other convertibles in the garage. Like my dear old Dad used to say, "I'm deaf in one ear, and can't hear out of the other" already. Too much loud music, and too many gun range sessions when I was younger. :)

Last edited:

KEM IA

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I switched to soft top and will eventually get a hard top. Obviously you get the Bronco quicker and the hard top issues are still an on going quality problem.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have the same problem with rain in our Jeep. Open the door when it's raining, and get your Saturday bath at the same time. :)
It’s not a bath but it’s noticeable

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had a soft top years ago with my wrangler and decided I was done with that experience. When the MOD went away, I switched to the soft top and I could not be happier. Be clear, this is not your soft top of yesteryear.
The mechanism is very well-designed and highly functional. The half-open feature (like the Jeep) is great. The clamshell feature is actually very useful and I find myself poping it up every time I go back there for something. The cloth is second to none, very high-end.
As for the noise, I was on a hands free call yesterday at 75 mph with no problem on either end. As mentioned, 55 or less is comparable to any other vehicle.
The top down experience is fantastic, as one would expect. I purchased a GearShade and love the top down or 1/2 down.
The only two negatives for me are adjacent sounds around the back 1/4 where the windows are. You will hear everything around the back of your vehicle. A loud motorcycle at a red light can be annoying. The second is the aforementioned water intrusion when you put the window down at a drive through. I have a towel on my arm rest, so it winds up coming in handy on those rare occasions.
When the MOD comes out, I am sure I will drool. As for the MIC, meh, the soft top was the better choice for me by far.
Sponsored