Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

These EV conversions will be very popular and cheap. Electric motor, inverter, battery (i.e $7K 60 kWh LFP pack from the Model 3 RWD - and less flammable than a gas engine). Simple, dumb, reliable. Probably sub $15K for a new drivetrain and electronics. None of these older cars will go on long road trips and EV Restomods won't either. What's holding everything back is the drivetrains in EVs are all proprietary and you need to transport the entire car's eco-system into the older car. Other than Ford, there isn't a nice crate mod.
Sponsored

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I couldn't agree with anything more than this statement. I live in a very rural area and until they perfect the solid state battery and make driving an EV more like a normal combustion engine it will never take off especially out here. Funny enough what they have to do to get the material for the batteries produces more emissions than a normal combustion vehicle over its lifetime. I can't wait to see how this all goes.
Not with LFP nor sodium-ion batteries (which I predict will be the next boom). Cheap. No child labor. No expensive Nickel.

Solid State batteries are fake news. I can't believe folks actually believe they are legit. I have a cold fusion reactor I can sell you.

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not with LFP nor sodium-ion batteries (which I predict will be the next boom). Cheap. No child labor. No expensive Nickel.

Solid State batteries are fake news. I can't believe folks actually believe they are legit. I have a cold fusion reactor I can sell you.
I'm not saying that they are ever going to materialize, but that will honestly be the only way that EVs will every truly catch on. I don't want to go on a road trip and have to sit at one place to charge for an hour. I would only want enough time to fuel up, go to the bathroom and maybe grab a snack. Until we get to that point it's not going to work for everyone to have an EV

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm not saying that they are ever going to materialize, but that will honestly be the only way that EVs will every truly catch on. I don't want to go on a road trip and have to sit at one place to charge for an hour. I would only want enough time to fuel up, go to the bathroom and maybe grab a snack. Until we get to that point it's not going to work for everyone to have an EV

That is already a reality...maybe not in your area, but it is a reality. I have an EV, but I'm no EV preacher. EVs simplify vehicle ownership and expenses for some people and will make absolutely no sense for other people's situations. No one should be forced to buy an EV, and EV's are not stupid. If you like it and it works for your situation...great! If you don't like and it doesn't work for your situation...that's fine, its not for everyone.

Cav427

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 5.0 6 Speed, 2024 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I prefer the way ICE engines sound and smell, although EV's might have sound and smell options in the future.

Sponsored

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I prefer the way ICE engines sound and smell, although EV's might have sound and smell options in the future.
I completely agree with you on the sound and smell for ICE

Ford Bronco Bronco EV Conversion 1716239905073-t

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Squatch!!!! get out of your echo chamber and educate yourself about the advantages of an electric motor vs an ice motor......

I am not talking about emissions or saving the planet or any of that which is an obvious hot button issue with you.....

I am talking about torque... instant torque! I am talking about opportunities to completely eliminate CVs and other weak points in a current 4x4.

I would not buy one right now. They are way too early in their product life cycle. Way too early in development. Batteries weigh way too much for off roading. BUT.... try a hydrogen fuel cell driving some capacitors with a small bank of batteries you should be able to get the weight down below current ice! Place the motors in the wheels like Rivian is doing, now you have no drive line issues to deal with.

I used to do complete frame off rebuilds on the original hybrids from the 40s and 50s; locomotives. Far Far superior to an Ice motor. It will take 20 years probably.... But it is coming. These electrics will blow the doors off what we have now. Lot of things need to happen, but they will.
I hate to weigh in on things I know nothing about but here goes……
You’re both right. You’re right in the advantages that EVs have over ICE but @Squatch is right about the current state of EVs and the continual empty promises of tech gurus. Will the tech eventually get there? Yes. But stop promising us breakthroughs tomorrow that conceivably won’t happen for 10+ years.

Cav427

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 5.0 6 Speed, 2024 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I hate to weigh in on things I know nothing about but here goes……
You’re both right. You’re right in the advantages that EVs have over ICE but @Squatch is right about the current state of EVs and the continual empty promises of tech gurus. Will the tech eventually get there? Yes. But stop promising us breakthroughs tomorrow that conceivably won’t happen for 10+ years.
EV Batteries are like nuclear fusion, they have been promising a working fusion reactor 10 years from now since the 1950's. We're still waiting. Not trying to beat up on EV's or their owners, they are great for daily commutes. For all around needs, ICE is far better. The issue with EV's even with better batteries will be charging. To replace only 10 percent of cars on the road in the US we will need the energy from 1,000 nuclear reactors. I doubt that will happen any time soon.
Sponsored