Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The original article mentions Zero Labs - which is raising funds to expand.

There are many folks Restomodding older vehicles into EVs. Zero Labs seems to be selling ready made ones.

https://www.zerolabs.com/bronco

You probably have to tow this EV Bronco to an off road area as the range seems poor. It's basically a glorified SxS or ATV,

hemiblas

Base
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 base SAS Bronco, 2018 Rubi JL and JLU
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can appreciate EVs for their purpose. I don't like classics being modernized in such a fashion. There's plenty of other vehicles out there that are better hosts that don't carry a history or tradition with it.

For the same reason, I don't like seeing a numbers-matching '69 Camaro Z28 being torn down and turned into a purpose-built drag car with a big block, roll cage, sectioned rear end and massive slicks.
Sometimes it makes sense to do that as parts may no longer be available. It might be the same thinking as swapping a coyote 5.0 into an older Bronco. The older engines didnt put out as much hp either. Blasphemy would have been to put a 2.3 turbo in one of those older Broncos.......but we are doing it today.

Sponsored

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No thanks. It has "regenerative breaking". šŸ˜¦
I drive all sorts of cars. And I have to say that generative breaking is my favorite feature. One peddle driving is really cool. Took a little to get used to it, but itā€™s a nice way to drive.

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If all the cars were EVs, they would be at scale and cheap. And you would have a charging infrastructure so you can charge in 5 minutes. For this argument to hold, you would have to compare EVs with 100 years of development to brand new ICE cars. Which means there would barely be any gas stations, etc.

So, ICE would not do so well. Plus, you would have to tell folks that, now all you have to worry about is oil changes, gaskets, transmission failure, more fluids to upkeep, etcā€¦. And you would have to set up an infrastructure to get liquid gas to all the stations on a regular basis. It would sound insane to folks lol. EVs obviously are not perfect, but this argument doesnā€™t hold water.

Epiphany

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It would sound insane to folks lol. EVs obviously are not perfect, but this argument doesnā€™t hold water.
Nor does this...

If all the cars were EVs, they would be at scale and cheap. And you would have a charging infrastructure so you can charge in 5 minutes.
That's like saying "if all cars had carbon fiber wheels like the GT350 had they would be at scale and cheap." Never going to be the case. Same with electric.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sometimes it makes sense to do that as parts may no longer be available. It might be the same thinking as swapping a coyote 5.0 into an older Bronco. The older engines didnt put out as much hp either. Blasphemy would have been to put a 2.3 turbo in one of those older Broncos.......but we are doing it today.
Try finding new aftermarket or good used early bronco rear lift glass latches. Unobtanium!!

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nor does this...

That's like saying "if all cars had carbon fiber wheels like the GT350 had they would be at scale and cheap." Never going to be the case. Same with electric.
You can get an EV that goes 260 miles on a charge for $23k. How cheap do you want it?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I can by an electric scooter for 2k. Yay.

Has no effect over who controls the mines necessary to provide battery materials. Costs will not go down in this realm and will continue to spiral upwards.

Cav427

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 5.0 6 Speed, 2024 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks like a nice vehicle to travel to the middle of nowhere with, discover you have gone a bit far, then have to walk to town and bring back a jerry can full of electricity. Instant torque is great, batteries dying in Death Valley or Moab, not so good. Wonder what it's water capability is like, last I checked water and lithium don't mix to well. Think there's a Tesla burning still after backing into a lake to remove a boat on a trailer at a boat launch.

Last edited:

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If all the cars were EVs, they would be at scale and cheap. And you would have a charging infrastructure so you can charge in 5 minutes. For this argument to hold, you would have to compare EVs with 100 years of development to brand new ICE cars. Which means there would barely be any gas stations, etc.

So, ICE would not do so well. Plus, you would have to tell folks that, now all you have to worry about is oil changes, gaskets, transmission failure, more fluids to upkeep, etcā€¦. And you would have to set up an infrastructure to get liquid gas to all the stations on a regular basis. It would sound insane to folks lol. EVs obviously are not perfect, but this argument doesnā€™t hold water.
Difference I could drive any old car with maintenance and repairs done, fixing issues as I go along

Whats stopping one from taking a ā€˜63 Ford Truck for example and modernizing it? Sure, ship of thesus, but still a 63 Ford

meanwhile, you see stories about the focus EV with a 14k battery or 20k battery for Tesla that isnā€™t guaranteed to work

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Totally get it. I drive both EVs and ICEs. Each have their benefits.

But to compare 15 year old EV tech and infrastructure to 100+ year old ICE tech and infrastructure isnā€™t really fair. iCE has had a century to develop tech and infrastructure. You would have to compare a 1935 ICE to a 2024 EV and then try to convince folks which is better. Itā€™s kind of hard to deny that in 85 years EVs (if we are still even using them) wonā€™t make more sense for most people.

All that being said, I use my EV for 80% of my driving. Itā€™s essentially free to use. And I use my ICE cars for long trips, big hauls, etc. If I pay $1500 a year to drive all my cars for stuff other than trips (gas + electric), thatā€™s an over estimate. And thatā€™s in the Bay Area where gas and electric prices are 100% stupid.

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wonder if they could ever offset the emissions it took to make this?

These are all stunts until battery tech improves by orders of magnitude.

EVs are the new Haliburton-esque war mongering and profiteering. They set an idyllic goal no reasonable person could argue without being villainized with a promise to achieve it... if only they keep getting more money and support. The catch, of the goal, is similar to achieving world peace... the money dries up as soon as you achieve it.

Can't wait to see it out on the Rubicon!
I couldn't agree with anything more than this statement. I live in a very rural area and until they perfect the solid state battery and make driving an EV more like a normal combustion engine it will never take off especially out here. Funny enough what they have to do to get the material for the batteries produces more emissions than a normal combustion vehicle over its lifetime. I can't wait to see how this all goes.
Sponsored