Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL... Perhaps he should have just went with a 3" spacer lift. ;) Then he wouldn't have to get custom axles. :p
Personally I'd eliminate all the hassle and do portals...

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Different use case.

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's kind of a solution for this you can just get upper a arms that are exactly 2 in over length if you can get somebody to sell you those separately. However I thought about doing this, purchasing a set of icon Bronco Billet ucas with the Delta joint Pro, and taking out the FK bearing on the inside mounts and purchasing new FK bearings with a longer threaded stud. I have seen where they are available in different lengths. You could also sleeve the threaded portion that was unburied in the UCA. This would probably be the easiest bolt on solution. But don't allow for a longer shock/coilover...
However, for those that want to run jumbo tires and intend to cycle the suspension "Raptor Style" the normal mounts on the frame of the standard Bronco are minimal at best, the Bronco Raptor has a double sheer on the rear Bolt,(beefier)and the F-150 Raptor has double Shear on both the front and rear bolts. (beefiest).
Recently, during King of the hammer, Lauren Healy bent the 4600 a truck UCA mount badly inward against the engine from a big hit on a rock.

I like the wider STEEL Braptor/DR UCA and the double sheer mount much better.
What about buying a tubular upper arm and cut/sleeve an inner tube to get the 2” length?

Have you considered ditching the coil bucket completely and running standard 8” coilovers with a shock hoop? I’m not sure how feasible that is with the Bronco, but it’s pretty commonly done on prerunner Rangers and Tacomas.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

What about buying a tubular upper arm and cut/sleeve an inner tube to get the 2” length?

Have you considered ditching the coil bucket completely and running standard 8” coilovers with a shock hoop? I’m not sure how feasible that is with the Bronco, but it’s pretty commonly done on prerunner Rangers and Tacomas.
Yeah I've considered All That. In my opinion, with 40s or bigger tires you need the wider (between mounts) UCA that the Raptor provides, it offers better stiffness and stronger mounting points. I thought about bolting up my king air shocks that are 14 inch travel on the front however they're going to be used on my aircraft so I'm not sacrificing them for the Bronco.

Sponsored

Turbo yzel

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hold up, I just called Fox and they set me straight if you unplug it it goes to full stiffness and stays that way. It needs to have five volts provided to the coil to release and RPG sells a kit to do just this, either way I'll be just providing 5 volts to them initially and then later on either buy the RPG kit or wiring the factory stuff and change my ECM parameters to Raptor ones.... I'm just gonna buy Braptor Coilover buckets and weld them on the frame.
this is true , when swapping my UCA I bent the live valve bar
And with it in hooked
It was at full stiffness till I fixed it next day

Turbo yzel

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I like the idea of double sheer on this
It urked my OcD that only 1 side was supported good
I wonder if it’s for crash testing head on

IMG_3941.jpeg

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

APG fanatic here - fat panda the heck out of that thing - solo or with their help. I love the idea of a long travel/wide stance 2 door.
I feel like a peasant looking at APG prices. Especially their fender prices. But their suspension is 🔥

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Yamapro and others have broken that UCA mounting bolt with a long travel setup. It will benefit from double shear.
increased length LCA increases wheel travel for same shock motion, but nothing is free. loads go up accordingly due to increased moment arm or leverage. You are definitely going to want any increased strength and stiffness you can get. Especially with 40s.

Sponsored

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@Yamapro and others have broken that UCA mounting bolt with a long travel setup. It will benefit from double shear.
Yep, the double shear is definitely a benefit. If I keep my Wildtrack, I will definitely end up converting mine. Bigmeatsbronco I’m interested if you end up making a weld on kit for the double shear and heightening of the coilover

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Update...

so the RANGER RAPTOR UCAs and LCAs are a direct bolt-on. (must use new coilovers) these provide a little over 1" per side of track width. also can improve wheel travel with correct length shocks.

The Braptor A-arms are a bit more of an issue as the ball joint taper and steering axis castor are different. so the Bronco Knuckle should not be used...the Braptor knuckles creat a multitude of issues like the bolt pattern is different, brake rotors are different, brake calipers are different, wheel speed sensors are in a different location, and the IWE makes the stub axles different as well.

Rather than try to modify or change the above issues, After a lot of research, I've purchased a set of Gen 3 f150 fabricated knuckles/uprights/spindles from @GregFoutz ...

This will allow the Braptor A-arms to bolt onto the new knuckles. From there I intend on Machine work and modification to use modifed 35 spline F-450 unit bearings or Spidertrax bearing...this is far stronger and rebuildable. I may re-drill the Braptor rotors and use them with F 150 Calipers. this will also require a new 35 spline stub axle as well. with ABS sensor Incorporated too. I'll likely also use the f450 lockouts or hubs so the front can freewheel in 2wd on longer trips.

This will not be cheap.and requires time to gather parts and get everything machined correctly, but it will be extremely strong and should work well.

The goal is over 15" of wheel travel similar to the DR.

By the time I'm done I'll have a complete extra set of Braptor UCAs and LCAs if some wants to do a similar set up. I also have a RangerRaptor LCA I'm not using.

I'll update when more parts arrive.

Ford Bronco Braptorizing 2 door Bronco... First Edition Warthog... ford-raptor-fabricated-spindle-kit_2_cbdcfe94-f112-48f4-b92e-f93bc7108445_2048x

Ford Bronco Braptorizing 2 door Bronco... First Edition Warthog... ford-raptor-fabricated-spindle-kit_1_901e0fd0-2a02-4a07-998c-09c7936ba347_2048x

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update...

so the RANGER RAPTOR UCAs and LCAs are a direct bolt-on. (must use new coilovers) these provide a little over 1" per side of track width. also can improve wheel travel with correct length shocks.
Great stuff @BigMeatsBronco ! So the Ranger Raptor UCAs and LCAs work with the stock knuckles? Any idea on what's needed for the coilovers, tie rods, and CVs to make it work?

I know it won't be Braptor amounts of travel, but it will probably be enough for me.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great stuff @BigMeatsBronco ! So the Ranger Raptor UCAs and LCAs work with the stock knuckles? Any idea on what's needed for the coilovers, tie rods, and CVs to make it work?

I know it won't be Braptor amounts of travel, but it will probably be enough for me.
the Ranger Raptor has the same ball joint taper, upper ball joint angle, bolt pattern, tie rod taper too...It also has NO IWE, so the stub axles should be identical as well, as normal Bronco
Sponsored

Reactions: cgv