First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The problem is, how does someone know Tire X is better than Tire Y for their use case? You either give a new brand/model a try or rely on other ratings and reviews, which can be subjective. Part of the problem is that nearly any new tire will immediately compare better than the worn-out tire that was just on the vehicle, so many people might mistake switching to another brand/model as an improvement when it's really just about having a new tire. I've been using the KO2s on my Badlands for rock crawling, and they seem fine. It's a $1400 gamble to switch to something else if I didn't have complaints about what I have. On the flip side, I could be missing out on something that's even better.
Tire recommendations can be like oil change intervals. Ask and you'll get 1,000 different answers.

I do think the same 3-4 brands keep coming up in these forums as tier 1. You just need to take the feedback in the context of what you'll be doing. For example, I love the look of mud terrains, yet I know I'd be miserable doing 10k highway miles per year on them!

I'm sure your KO2's will serve you well and work fine as an OE tire. Funny enough I landed on Toyo AT3's after Generals were backordered during covid. Even a few years in I love the tire and haven't paid any mind to the what-ifs but I do get your point.
Sponsored

Mr Bacon Jr

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bison ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
<Snip> Funny enough I landed on Toyo AT3's after Generals were backordered during covid. Even a few years in I love the tire and haven't paid any mind to the what-ifs but I do get your point.
Same here- I've got the AT3s on the Bronco and my ZR2. Great tires.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Squatch tire size isn't even available out of the gate? Am I missing something?

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not being snarky, but when does an AT or MT tire become heavy? According to Tire Rack data, it looks like the KO3 gains 5 pounds over the KO2, but still falls near several other options and still a heckuva lot lighter than Falkens. In fact, other than the Territory tires, none of the other brands are noticeably lighter.

In 285/75/17 Load C:

Toyo Open Country A/T III: 54
Toyo Open Country R/T Trail: 53
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W: 63
Falken Wildpeak A/T4W: 67
Falken Wildpeak M/T: 61
Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT "B": 50
Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT "A": 45
Nitto Ridge Grappler: 55
BFG KO2: 51
BFG KO3: 56
I think size has a lot to do with it... I'm comparing 35's or 315's. Although we don't have the exact KO3 yet in a 35, following the trend, it's going to be over 70lbs.

The FalkenAT4W is 75.5lbs in LR-C.

For comparison, the Kanati Overland RTX in 35x12.5x17 LR-C is 59lbs...

https://simpletire.com/brands/kanat...ion=r99&tireSize=lt35-12.50rr17&userRegion=99

In 285/70R17's there are some other tires under 60lbs... And 50lbs or under in SL rated.

The AT3W SL is only 50.5lbs.
The Baja Boss SL is 48lbs.
The Ridge Grappler SL is 48.8.

And I know the SL is not an LR-C, but in 98% of the applications here, that is a viable tire.

EDIT: It's just my opinion, but I do tires at a medium volume offroad shop and have seen my share of just about everything.

Imprezive

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Mulitstrada, Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I think size has a lot to do with it... I'm comparing 35's or 315's. Although we don't have the exact KO3 yet in a 35, following the trend, it's going to be over 70lbs.

The FalkenAT4W is 75.5lbs in LR-C.

For comparison, the Kanati Overland RTX in 35x12.5x17 LR-C is 59lbs...

https://simpletire.com/brands/kanat...ion=r99&tireSize=lt35-12.50rr17&userRegion=99

In 285/70R17's there are some other tires under 60lbs... And 50lbs or under in SL rated.

The AT3W SL is only 50.5lbs.
The Baja Boss SL is 48lbs.
The Ridge Grappler SL is 48.8.

And I know the SL is not an LR-C, but in 98% of the applications here, that is a viable tire.

EDIT: It's just my opinion, but I do tires at a medium volume offroad shop and have seen my share of just about everything.
The LT315 /70 R17 K03 is 70lbs per Discount Tire. Heavier but it’s a big tire and still lighter than the AT4W.

Sponsored

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the phased roll out, I’m not waiting around for the size I want. Falken Wildpeak AT4W here I come
That tire is ridiculously heavy. Absolute no go for me

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have had my K03’s for about 6 months and 10K miles. Two rotations and no problems

Old Codger

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 315/70 17 KO3 is load range F2. My guess is that these are targeted at the very heavy electric trucks, not Broncos. Available in 3 months. F2 tires on a Bronco would be too harsh a ride for me.

35 x 12.50 R17 LT is load range D2 and weighs 66 pounds. Still not light but better. One tenth of an inch taller in overall diameter than the 315's. Bad news is availability is 2026.

Put KO3's on my wife's JLU Rubicon when they first appeared last October. So far, they are pretty impressive for our use case. Would likely go with the 35x12.50 R17 for my Bronco if they were available this summer. Since they're not I'll do something else.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it’s a hard problem to solve since A LOT of people use them as a desert tire they really need to stand up to abuse in high heat without chunking which a lot of all terrains have a problem with. That’s got to be tough on a tire compound to handle plus being able to stay pliable in bitter cold. I will be buying K03s but I doubt I would if I lived back east still.
I haven’t noticed a problem with KO2s on either my F350 or my Bronco in snow in the winter in New Hampshire.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Lots of good choices on the tire front these days!

The biggest complaint I had seen (I haven't owned a pair, just what I see around here and other places) with the KO2's were that the tire compound seemed to devolve after around 10k miles and it affected weather driving - will be interesting to see if the new changes in KO3 address that.

Sponsored

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
AT4 are so damn heavy for what they are
Really sucks, the AT3W was pretty heavy too unless you went with the SL tire. But the tire was so good at everything, it made the weight less of an issue.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

AT4 are so damn heavy for what they are
Yeah, bit heavier than I’d like but it is what it is. I’m going 35x11.5-17 to shed some of it