SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Curious as to why people are using an aux switch. Unless it’s a convenience issue i see no advantage of using an aux switch.
I had the same thought and just used a fuse tap for my switch. The switch gets power when the vehicle is running and I’ll just turn it on when needed. But! I also installed air tanks. I’m now considering using an aux switch to turn the compressor on when getting close to the air up location to allow the compressor to cool before filling tires. (If you go the tank route I’d suggest throwing in a check right after the compressor. I was losing a little pressure back through the compressor. The check doesn’t seem to be affecting flow at all)

IMG_1391.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg
Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I had the same thought and just used a fuse tap for my switch. The switch gets power when the vehicle is running and I’ll just turn it on when needed. But! I also installed air tanks. I’m now considering using an aux switch to turn the compressor on when getting close to the air up location to allow the compressor to cool before filling tires. (If you go the tank route I’d suggest throwing in a check right after the compressor. I was losing a little pressure back through the compressor. The check doesn’t seem to be affecting flow at all)

Ford Bronco Arb Twin compressor and Factory AUX switches IMG_1394

Ford Bronco Arb Twin compressor and Factory AUX switches IMG_1394
Good call on the check valve - mine seems to lose 1/2 tank overnight - do you remember the part you got/where from?

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good call on the check valve - mine seems to lose 1/2 tank overnight - do you remember the part you got/where from?
It actually came with the Tailonz kit I got so I’m not much help. There’s a myriad of options on Amazon though. I think now that I have all my exact lengths made from the Tailonz tubing I’ll have braided lines made and throw in a stainless check valve while I’m at it.

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I use aux 6 for mine. Not for direct power but to supply the incoming power to the ARB switch. Mainly did it as a failsafe so that the compressor will only run if the bronco is running and the switch is flipped.

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Aux 6 for me, I use the Bronco dash for inflation pressures, so I hook up my 4 tire inflator and reach in and hit the switch and watch the tires inflate from the dash.
Yep, I use the same method.

Sponsored

Big Pony

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent LTD '20
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The ARB Twin draws too much current to run directly off the AUX switches, but you can use one of the AUX switches to control a relay providing power from the battery.

Since you will not be able to use the power from the AUX Switch to supply the compressor, it makes sense to use AUX 4, 5, or 6 and save the higher output circuits for other options you may add that can operate on the 25, 15 or 10 amps provided by AUX 1, 2, or 3.

Considering the ergonomics during my use, I'd have to open the hood- connect an air hose to the compressor, then head back to the cab and switch on one of the AUX switches. It made sense to use the ARB supplied switch on the compressor mount. For my uses I'm not installing an air tank so turning on the compressor prior to connecting an air hose would not be of any benefit.
This is not necessarily 100% accurate. Yes it’s true the dual compressor draws a lot, but I wired mine to run from AUX 6, no relay or ancillary devices. Just straight tap into the aux cabling. It’s been over a year and I have yet - knock on wood - to experience any issues of any kind (electrical or otherwise) with my setup. Have had it running to fill both my rig and a friend’s from 10 psi to 35 psi after hitting trails. Eight tires is a lot of continuous running time and like I said, no issues. I never even hit the compressor’s rated continuous operating time. I do keep the engine running while operating the compressor so that might be key. For what it’s worth, mine is a ‘23 WT.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is not necessarily 100% accurate. Yes it’s true the dual compressor draws a lot, but I wired mine to run from AUX 6, no relay or ancillary devices. Just straight tap into the aux cabling. It’s been over a year and I have yet - knock on wood - to experience any issues of any kind (electrical or otherwise) with my setup. Have had it running to fill both my rig and a friend’s from 10 psi to 35 psi after hitting trails. Eight tires is a lot of continuous running time and like I said, no issues. I never even hit the compressor’s rated continuous operating time. I do keep the engine running while operating the compressor so that might be key. For what it’s worth, mine is a ‘23 WT.
Am I understanding correctly that your entire compressor is running off the auxiliary switch power? You have no heavier gauge wire running from the compressor to the battery? Or are you just talking about the switch and I’m reading this erroneously

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is not necessarily 100% accurate. Yes it’s true the dual compressor draws a lot, but I wired mine to run from AUX 6, no relay or ancillary devices. Just straight tap into the aux cabling.
You are dancing with the devil.

The compressor amps is related to how hard it's working - so the fact that you are only airing up to 35psi (rather than the 150psi the compressor is rated to) has much more to do with it than the fact that you have your engine running.

That said, most compressors have a rating of 20A to 30A. The ARB Twin is up to (edit) 69A. Aux 6 is only rated for 10A (and I would say that's Ford being generous at that).

Now, you've been really really lucky. I honestly hope no one takes your advice, because it's just not very sound. You have a 35A compressor wired to a 10A service, and just because you haven't popped fuses or had anything catch fire doesn't mean it's a good idea. It just means you aren't pushing your compressor too hard and haven't rolled snake eyes every time you flip that switch on.

Last edited:

Big Pony

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent LTD '20
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Am I understanding correctly that your entire compressor is running off the auxiliary switch power? You have no heavier gauge wire running from the compressor to the battery? Or are you just talking about the switch and I’m reading this erroneously
You are reading correct my friend

Big Pony

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent LTD '20
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You are dancing with the devil.

The compressor amps is related to how hard it's working - so the fact that you are only airing up to 35psi (rather than the 150psi the compressor is rated to) has much more to do with it than the fact that you have your engine running.

That said, most compressors have a rating of 20A to 30A. The ARB Twin is up to 35A. Aux 6 is only rated for 10A (and I would say that's Ford being generous at that).

Now, you've been really really lucky. I honestly hope no one takes your advice, because it's just not very sound. You have a 35A compressor wired to a 10A service, and just because you haven't popped fuses or had anything catch fire doesn't mean it's a good idea. It just means you aren't pushing your compressor too hard and haven't rolled snake eyes every time you flip that switch on.
I am well aware of the compressor’s amp ratings and the Bronco’s wire gauge size/rating and all the possible implications of my decision to run it in such a way. Realizing that I merely need the compressor for such a menial task as filling up tires, had a lot to do with my decision. At least in my case, the compressor will never be used for any industrial applications or in any instance that will ever be close to maxing out the compressor’s output.

In the end, I am NOT giving anybody any advice, just merely stating my experience with my setup. Maybe my mistake was assuming everyone installing a dual compressor had the same goals as me; airing up after deflating tires and occasionally filling up an inflatable for some water fun, not trying to test the limits of the compressor itself.

Sponsored

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe my mistake was assuming everyone installing a dual compressor had the same goals as me; airing up after deflating tires and occasionally filling up an inflatable for some water fun, not trying to test the limits of the compressor itself.
Unfortunately your set-up is unsafe and ill advised.

I seriously doubt that other people's goals were to ignore installation requirements from both ARB and Ford, void any warranty, and complete the installation to end up with an unsafe system. If your system ever does cause a fire, it may not be covered by your insurance and it will definitely not be covered by any manufacturer's warranty.

The extra effort it would take to properly install your compressor would help to ensure your safety and that of any passenger in your truck (and your Bronco).

I hope for your sake that you continue to be trouble free, but anyone with any knowledge of electricity/electronics/safety would cringe at your logic.

I never even hit the compressor’s rated continuous operating time.
The ARB is rated for 100% Duty Cycle.

Big Pony

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Ascent LTD '20
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Unfortunately your set-up is unsafe and ill advised.

I seriously doubt that other people's goals were to ignore installation requirements from both ARB and Ford, void any warranty, and complete the installation to end up with an unsafe system. If your system ever does cause a fire, it may not be covered by your insurance and it will definitely not be covered by any manufacturer's warranty.

The extra effort it would take to properly install your compressor would help to ensure your safety and that of any passenger in your truck (and your Bronco).

I hope for your sake that you continue to be trouble free, but anyone with any knowledge of electricity/electronics/safety would cringe at your logic.

The ARB is rated for 100% Duty Cycle.

Roger that… Chief.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are reading correct my friend
How did you connect the huge wires coming off the compressor to the tiny aux switch wire? This doesn’t make any sense. I want pictures.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, I would have lost that bar bet that the thing would even run unloaded off those tiny AUX wires, interesting.

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How did you connect the huge wires coming off the compressor to the tiny aux switch wire? This doesn’t make any sense. I want pictures.
I’m wondering the same thing.
Sponsored