Sponsored

Anyone have any insight on how the parking brake works…regarding a brake lock for winching

OP
OP

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If what I asked was confusing, I meant specifically using your vehicle to winch someone else out. Having the vehicle with the winch in park isn’t recommended due to potential damage to the parking pawl as I understand it. And I certainly wouldn’t be near the bumper and winch if I could help it. I suppose there isn’t any organization tracking injuries or fatalities nationwide inside the vehicle/outside the vehicle regarding off road recovery so it’s probably difficult to unequivocally state which is the most dangerous location inside or out. But in the 30 years or so I’ve been involved in the hobby, it’s usually the people in the cab getting hurt that I hear about. Not the greatest evidence I admit.

So let’s table the safety aspect of the question and just say I’d prefer to be outside where I can more carefully assess the situation, look at it from various angles, etc. So all I can figure is either put it in neutral, jam something on the brake pedal, install a brake lock, anchor it via a tree/pullpal or hope one of the existing doodads will work in neutral?

Thanks for the info on the parking brake only working on one tire. That’s unfortunate. Thanks for all the input guys.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the Bronco electronic parking brake only lock the back tires?
Yes. That's true for pretty much all parking brakes.

I have line locks on my F550. I've kinda considered installing some on my Bronco, but haven't felt the need yet for how I've used it so far.

A pair of good wheel chocks will serve you fine for most recoveries though. I keep a set o folding ones in each of my vehicles.

RallyGorgo

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about being seated in the cab, foot on the brake, with the hood up? No, not the clearest of views but you’d have a metal shield, right?

74Bob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '11 F150 FX4 Eco, '06 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What about being seated in the cab, foot on the brake, with the hood up? No, not the clearest of views but you’d have a metal shield, right?
I was gonna say this same thing. We used to put the hood up. With the new Bronco and front camera it is easier now. Also I like the wheel chock idea. Emergency brake applied or foot on the brakes. If you are pulled towards the stuck rig then you might need to anchor to another rig or a tree or rock.

Sponsored

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
There was a report by NHTSA I believe on the fatality from a tow hitch going through a pickup truck's window, killing the guy who was helping; that was like 2007? I think the one mentioned in that comment was Popo Patty's near death experience a couple months back, that was also a kinetic rope and not a winch.
I was talking about the one that happened back in 2022 in Arizona where they tried pulling on the tow hitch and snapped going through the window which did end in a fatality.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was talking about the one that happened back in 2022 in Arizona where they tried pulling on the tow hitch and snapped going through the window which did end in a fatality.
Ahh, you're right, 2022.

Num Num

Wildtrak
First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota....
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Kinetic rope as well.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

park in 4L with both lockers on if you have them. Also put the damn hood up if you have to be in the vehicle.

Hunterwjusmc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Marine Vet here, was he talking about recovering vehicles in theatre? Cause he might have meant the danger of being a sitting target.

I did a few recovery ops and the smallest vehicle we were recovering was a HMMWV which isn’t small at all. The MotorT guys would usually bring a 5-ton Wrecker that is designed to be operated from outside. HMMWVs don’t have winches in the USMC, so he must have been using a tow bar, which is a different dynamic all together as there is no slack if it starts to roll down an embankment.

However the cab of your Bronco is the safest place to be if the winch line snaps.

Or do you mean a self-recovery?

either way, the e-brake only locks 1 rear tire.
Semper Fi Brother!

OP
OP

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model