Sponsored

Any benefit to buying from local dealer? Vs. going out of town?

zjtr10

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dutch Star , 2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m a cash buyer lusting after a 2024 Outer Banks. The local dealership won’t budge off MSRP + TTL . The only thing they give up is $2k for the X plan and $1k because I own a Jeep.
is there any benefit to buying local? Are they going to be more lenient on warranty work? Or will they forget me as soon as the ink is dried? They say I’ll be a VIP customer lol. They brag they sell 650 cars a month mostly to the oilfield.

Let’s see 650 cars a month times 12 months times 10 years . Yes I’ll be a special vip. I’ll be 1 in 78000 😔
Sponsored

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm in Odessa. Bought my first one in Gilmer. Second in San Angelo. No issues so far. First at sticker when the "S" folks were tacking on $10K +. Second at roughly $5K under. SA has several OBX's with $6K plus advertised discounts right now. Midland is also offering smaller discounts.

OP
OP

zjtr10

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Dutch Star , 2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the good info.

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The local dealership will forget about you soon as the ink dries. Most ppl like myself buy from a dealership and service their trucks at other dealerships

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It all depends on each situation.

Dealer 2 miles from the house, I'd be a nobody to them. HUUUGE conglomerate.
I hear you can get good pricing, but you'll have to fight tooth and nail for it.
It's the type of place where the sleazy sales guys are literally like sharks when they see a vehicle come through the gates. They literally will not wait for you to stop, they'll try to corner you before you stop or trying to leave, get you to roll down the window and talk to them.
Fucking hate going there, except sometimes we drive thru just to watch them all start to "prey" on us and head our direction.... and then bail, driving by with the windows up.
It's a riot, LOL

20-ish miles away, GREAT small town dealer. In normal times they simply priced everything just above A-plan pricing ... no haggle needed.
Even the F150 raptors were sub-invoice, pre-covid.
3 sales guys, one is the owner ... no finance department, everything is handled by your sales associate.
Our family has been going there for years for sales and service.

So yeah, it makes sense to shop around.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI…

X-Plan is non-negotiable pricing as required by Ford. They are not allowed by the plan terms to sell it at a different price… the most they can do is apply any available cash offers (which it sounds like they’ve done with the Jeep Conquest offer).

If you want to negotiate even farther below X-Plan, that is 100% possible. You just can’t use X-Plan to do it.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One benefit is lemon laws, which are by state not federal, so if you buy in another state, depending on their laws and your own state's laws, you might not be covered in your own state, or in the state you bought, or not at all.

The other benefit is simply how much is it worth to you to buy close? Remember to calculate airfare, hotel, and fuel costs when looking at discounts out of town. Plus, you need a backup plan in case, let's say, you get to the dealership and there is a huge scratch on the one you are there to buy and decide to back out.

Don't fall in to the trap that many on these forums fall in to and get angry at dealers for wanting to make some money. Get what works for you at a price you can live with and don't get emotional. I've heard of people spending $1500 to travel for a vehicle to save $2000 over what they would have spent locally, thus spending a ton of time and stress to save $500 because they emotionally didn't want to pay MSRP.

I went through this just a few days ago. I needed a tow vehicle and decided to get a RAM. Found one on the lot about 20 miles that was exactly what I wanted. A couple grand off MSRP. When I arrived, it had just over 30 miles on it, which was fine with me. I loved the color, and it had every option I wanted. They wouldn't come off their advertised price of a few grand below MSRP like I hoped, but at the end of the day it was exactly what I wanted and remember, "A bird in the hand..." So I drove it home that day.

What I've learned over the years and many, many vehicles, is that, especially when you get into higher priced vehicles (over $40K) it is better to spend a little more on what you really want than get a great deal on something you don't. And don't get emotional if the dealer makes an extra grand or 2 off you, as long as you get what you want!

lamokadave

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In April this year I flew AZ to Rochester NY to buy. AZ has low inventory plus what they had was at MSRP. In NY knew a dealer selling at invoice plus all incentives. My local dealer is servicing with a smile

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, unless your Father owns a dealership. NONE of these dealers are ones “ pal”. The only issue of buying out of my home state is the registration hassles and hurdles installed to deter citizens from buying out of state. It amounts to legal organized crime.

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In April this year I flew AZ to Rochester NY to buy. AZ has low inventory plus what they had was at MSRP. In NY knew a dealer selling at invoice plus all incentives. My local dealer is servicing with a smile
I’m surprised you found a dealer in AZ willing to sell at MSRP. All I see are huge markups, even 4 model years in…

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m a cash buyer lusting after a 2024 Outer Banks. The local dealership won’t budge off MSRP + TTL . The only thing they give up is $2k for the X plan and $1k because I own a Jeep.
is there any benefit to buying local? Are they going to be more lenient on warranty work? Or will they forget me as soon as the ink is dried? They say I’ll be a VIP customer lol. They brag they sell 650 cars a month mostly to the oilfield.

Let’s see 650 cars a month times 12 months times 10 years . Yes I’ll be a special vip. I’ll be 1 in 78000 😔
My local Ford deslers(2) are both jackasses. I went 5 hours away to get mine, but ordered, tracked and communicated all via the web up until delivery. I used Town &. country Ford in Bessemer AL. David Agee was the sales man. Good guy and no games. I’ll go back for service and repair if the Bronco ever needs anything I cannot do myself.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Ford dealership in San Angelo (Bass) is pretty fair with prices. They gave me above average trade in values and never tried to charge me over MSRP.

We purchased an Ecoboost Premium Performance package Mustang for MSRP from them, but they gave us $3k over KBB on the trade (a 21 Honda CR-V).

I also traded a 2023 Bronco with 5k miles with them.
They gave us $49k trade credit ($51k MSRP, paid $40k) on the purchase of a 2023 F-150 XL 5.0 STX 4wd supercrew ($53k MSRP), which was discounted down to $49k, plus another $2.5k in discounts from Ford. Effectively purchased the F-150 for $37k when all was said and done thanks to the initial purchase price of the Bronco.

All in all was treated fairly, no typical dealership shenanigans, and no undue hassles. Service department is decent and never has been a bad experience (even though they rejected a hardtop warranty claim, but that was because of Ford Corporate, they were very professional about it). Service for recalls has been fine and routine service is easy to get.
Sponsored