First Name
Jani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5 Sportback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, I probably will catch some crap for this but how is it that through all my research, looking at a gazillion pictures, and placing an order I did not see the old-school antenna sticking off the front cowling like a sore thumb? I get it, roof is removable and so on but is there really no other solution? Now that I see it I can't un-see it, finally found something I don't care for on this rig lol.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was going to say something snarky, but I wanted to point something out that may make you feel better:

Considering you are just now noticing it, and it's been there the entire time, it means that it's not that much of an eyesore as you think it is.

It'll just disappear into the background noise of your environment. I have one on my jeep and I can't even remember the last time I noticed it.

Same goes for all of the trucks out there driving around with them.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ok, I probably will catch some crap for this but how is it that through all my research, looking at a gazillion pictures, and placing an order I did not see the old-school antenna sticking off the front cowling like a sore thumb? I get it, roof is removable and so on but is there really no other solution? Now that I see it I can't un-see it, finally found something I don't care for on this rig lol.
@Enginerd, as a fellow engineer nerd, it only takes 10 minutes to find a solution, here's mine.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As I don't listen to terrestrial radio I am thinking of replacing it with a base/mid loaded duel band Transceiver antenna. Normally this would go on the roof for a ground plane but with MIC that is no good, (I guess I could put a 12"X12" piece of sheet metal on the underside of the roof for the GP) and I don't want a 1/2 wave whip stuck on the rear end. I use these radio's both in the RV and tow vehicle as well as handy-talkies.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

fraserjr

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was going to say something snarky, but I wanted to point something out that may make you feel better:

Considering you are just now noticing it, and it's been there the entire time, it means that it's not that much of an eyesore as you think it is.

It'll just disappear into the background noise of your environment. I have one on my jeep and I can't even remember the last time I noticed it.

Same goes for all of the trucks out there driving around with them.
I think it's also because they have been purposely removed from a lot of the preprod models we have seen paraded around. Ford knows its ugly so they removed it for all the glamour shots and will let you figure it out once you take delivery. To be fair, I think Jeep has the same dumb antenna but almost everyone replaces them with a shorty.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I think it's also because they have been purposely removed from a lot of the preprod models we have seen paraded around. Ford knows its ugly so they removed it for all the glamour shots and will let you figure it out once you take delivery. To be fair, I think Jeep has the same dumb antenna but almost everyone replaces them with a shorty.
When I saw the overland rig in seattle it was because of the car covers they were putting on..... The show rigs being transported in enclosed carriers... Not the test mules...

Maybe that is the reason?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you can get a stubby one and change it out easy.
To me it's not something I'll ever notice unless maybe I'm looking for something to make a quick fishing rod.
I have one on my Tacoma and I'm pretty sure it's on the passenger side, but I'd have to go actually look to bet on that.

OP
OP
Enginerd

Enginerd

Badlands
First Name
Jani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5 Sportback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, expected amount of punishment for posting :), shorty seems like a good way to go. I suppose my comment was more along the lines of why something like a shorty would not have been a factory form on these. Like I said, a petty complaint.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, expected amount of punishment for posting :), shorty seems like a good way to go. I suppose my comment was more along the lines of why something like a shorty would not have been a factory form on these. Like I said, a petty complaint.
Most likely performance reasons, the longer one performs better.

EDIT: just realized what I typed and am now patiently waiting for 1 of a few select lady people. #smh

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After trying a couple different stubby on my VW - this brand makes the only one that had similar reception as the original...if you're interested in that sort of thing:

The Antenna Source

I'm sure they'll have a solution if they don't already.

EDIT:

Looks like they are planning for one:

for Bronco

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
An engineer concerned--or even noticing--aesthetics? Learn something new everyday. ;)

I am prone to nitpicking, but for some reason antennas never bothered me. It's part of what makes it a car in a purely subjective sense.

@North7 - I want the doorstop version, but I'm afraid that it would attract too many stray cats.

Ford Bronco Antenna...old-school! Best-Antenna-for-Ham-Radio

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll probably remove mine and replace it with either a stubby or a cover. I plan to tether off the phone and play music through an app (sometimes that would be iheartradio), so I don't really care about AM/FM signals.

Peter
Sponsored