Sponsored

Aftermarket 9" rear-end housing assemblies kit by Currie or Dana?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So these ranger raptor spy pics have got me interested. Does anyone think that Currie or Dana will build a 9" aftermarket kit? Maybe a heavy duty aluminum one built to 9 plus specs front and rear with dana 60 outers? Would this be freaking awesome? Would it legitimately stand up to 40s?

Any thoughts?

Also does it make a case for Base model over BD, BL, or squatch knowing you can give them 10k and get 9s?
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Currie will build anything you want. I had them build a 9" decades ago for my XJ.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mountainbiker90

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Bronco, 74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm sure they will. Pound for pound it will be a good axle. Dollar for dollar, maybe not. I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it, but I'd take a full floating D60 over a semi floating 9" for crawling. I'd much rather have the wheel stay on the vehicle if an axle shaft breaks.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree a full floater is better, but the bearing in the 9 is pressed onto the axle. You'd have to break it at the flange to lose the wheel. Not likely but anything's possible I suppose.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm sure they will. Pound for pound it will be a good axle. Dollar for dollar, maybe not. I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it, but I'd take a full floating D60 over a semi floating 9" for crawling. I'd much rather have the wheel stay on the vehicle if an axle shaft breaks.
I would assume if it was offered as a major upgrade full float would be an option. I think a full float 9 or beefed 9 rear with all brackets for bronco welded on and a 9" inch front center housing with optional upgraded cv shaftand whatever hub style the bronco uses would be a killer bolt on weekend kit. All beefed and trussed appropriately.

That sort of thing plus a moderate lift then run 38s or 40s with a hot tuned 350 hp 4 cylinder in a low end base type build would come in around the price of a wildtrack. Get all the Wyld Stallions you need and skip the 12" leather display and the seats with trail cams.

The question is can i live with a base on 33 swampers and a spacer lift until the warranty expires and I want a beast. Or should I just be rich and beast up a Badlands. They say a testicle is worth 30,000 thats half way there.

mountainbiker90

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Bronco, 74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've got a base reserved myself. Thinking strongly about sasquatch and let it ride. I don't plan on tires larger than 35's and I won't be flogging it like the trail rig. For 37's and skinny pedal, I have my fears about a D44 rear axle. I have no idea on the 210 front diff and cv's. I really want to keep the cost down. Was thinking about a V6 base and future upgrades but I do think options will be limited for a while and anything bolt on will be $$$. I wouldn't want to fab up a SAS swap as I think the IFS will be nicer for driving.

Really torn between a V6 base sasquatch or a V6 black diamond and then future upgrades. The badlands is well above where I want to be. The sway bar disco would be nice but I can be happy with a manual disconnect end link conversion.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got a base reserved myself. Thinking strongly about sasquatch and let it ride. I don't plan on tires larger than 35's and I won't be flogging it like the trail rig. For 37's and skinny pedal, I have my fears about a D44 rear axle. I have no idea on the 210 front diff and cv's.
Best axle tech post I've seen to date here.
Repost from @Incognito :

The new Advantek D30 and D44 should of been given new designations.
Comparing them to the older axles is like directly comparing a G6 Bronco to a EB, because they share a name too.

That said, the M190's center differential is actually rated by Dana as being stronger than the new Jeep D44.
The M210 is significantly stronger.
The pinion teeth of the M190 and M210 engage the ring gear closer to the center of the gear.
The D44 and D30 have the pinion closer to the top, for driveshaft clearance.
This puts more deflection stress on the D30/44 pinion.

Also, the ring gears use an new convex curved tooth shape, that increases the % of ring gear and pinion tooth contact, while reducing friction.

As @Apples has said, the CV joints are going to be the weak link in the front axle.

The good news is that the Ford engineers made the Sasquatch CV size the default half shaft for all Broncos.
Also, there is only one half shaft.
It is interchangeable L/R, Base to Wildtrack.

Finally, Ford has stated that the Bronco is easily lifted. Just like the Wrangler.
Ford Dealers have watched Jeep Dealers get fat and happy putting MOPAR warrenty approved 2" lifts and 37" tires on Wranglers.
Either straight off the showroom floor, or as a used sale still under warranty.

Ford has directly stated that Bronco dealers will be able to get in on this action.
Big money is at stake.

All of this means that the Bronco hard parts will handle 37" tires.
Just add lift and rubber.

M190 Broncos will be like D30 Wranglers. 35" if you are lightfooted on the trail. 37" if it's a mall crawler.

M210 +37" will be gtg for the lightfooted.
We don't know yet if the 40" tires will be usable as a mall crawler without heavy modifications to things like the ball joints and steering.
Probably not. The 40" donuts are very heavy.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, the question now is:
How well does the rear M220 Advantek Dana 44 rate compared to the venerable Ford 9"?

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, the question now is:
How well does the rear M220 Advantek Dana 44 rate compared to the venerable Ford 9"?
If you're going to swap axles then you might as well do the 10" gears along with aluminum hubs on 14B spindles and then there's no comparison. The rear is fairly simple compared to the front. Good luck!

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For running big tires... the rangers front wheel bearings are hardly awe inspiring. I haven't seen anything on the Broncos yet.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's semantics but Dana won't make a 9" axle. That's a discontinued Ford brand axle. I'm sure they'll make a Dana 60 instead.

There is a huge market for aftermarket axles. Currie will set up their 9" production to have bolt in assemblies for the Bronco I'm sure. And they will be stronger than the factory axles.

Currie, Dynatrac, G2, and TeraFlex all make aftermarket housings that use various Dana gear sets. They're all stronger than a Dana factory spec housing. For the rear axle, all they have to do is set the width and weld on the right brackets and it's a bolt in. Maybe come up with something Bronco specific to make the parking brakes work. I have no doubt they'll have them available as soon as they can.

The front will require a little bit of customization. I wouldn't be surprised if one or all of those companies to make a bolt in differential for the IFS. It will have to be designed to work for the Bronco as I'm sure there will need to be the built in mounting pieces cast in to the housing. They may also come up with a way to run bigger half shafts for more strength but that's just idle speculation on my part.

I also suspect that someone will work out a SAS (Solid Axle Swap) kit for those who want a beam axle in the front of their Bronco. And for a kit like that, there's a couple of ways they could go. One of those would be to use a new aftermarket axle set up for a Jeep along with a custom frame side bracket set, reusing the Jeep 4 link geometry. But there's also the ever popular 05+ Superduty axle swap using 3/4 or 1 ton axles and custom bracketry.

It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket comes up with.
Sponsored