Sponsored

255/85/17 on non sas BD. How bad will it rub?

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Decided I'm tired of the delicate sidewalls on the General Grabber AT/X that came on my BD so wanting to upgrade and upsize at the same time. Only thing I liked in the 285/75/17 size was the KO2 but after reading that they don't like rainy days on pavement I decided that wont work. Now thinking about the MT Baja Boss AT in 255/85/17. I know I will have to remove the crash bars but how much rubbing should I expect on say the inner fender when off road? I have plans on adding a roughly 1.5"-2" lift in the spring but want to get the tires before winter gets here as one of my grabbers has a huge gash near the bead and I don't want to pay to replace it then pay again to upgrade. Will it be drivable for a few months with the factory suspension?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Many have run 35 x 10.5s w/o issue so you should be fine

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

255/85r17 will not rub if used with stock +55 offset wheels. Crash bars can remain installed too.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Decided I'm tired of the delicate sidewalls on the General Grabber AT/X that came on my BD so wanting to upgrade and upsize at the same time. Only thing I liked in the 285/75/17 size was the KO2 but after reading that they don't like rainy days on pavement I decided that wont work. Now thinking about the MT Baja Boss AT in 255/85/17. I know I will have to remove the crash bars but how much rubbing should I expect on say the inner fender when off road? I have plans on adding a roughly 1.5"-2" lift in the spring but want to get the tires before winter gets here as one of my grabbers has a huge gash near the bead and I don't want to pay to replace it then pay again to upgrade. Will it be drivable for a few months with the factory suspension?
Looking forward to a review as I'm leaning towards the exact same tire. You won't have any fitment issues.

OP
OP
Dover157

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
255/85r17 will not rub if used with stock +55 offset wheels. Crash bars can remain installed too.
Looking forward to a review as I'm leaning towards the exact same tire. You won't have any fitment issues.
I thought for sure that a 35” tire would rub on a non sas suspension. The factory ones don’t clear the front crash bar by much.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought for sure that a 35” tire would rub on a non sas suspension. The factory ones don’t clear the front crash bar by much.
You can search for Kenda Klever tires as they are a "skinny" 35 at 10.5" wide. I don't think there was an issue mounting them on the BD steelies.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Biggest concern with the 35" on the +55 wheels is width...a 12.5" wide tire will be extremely close to the UCA. I ran the Kenda 35" x 10.5s for a bit...good all around tire.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The key is width. Your choice of a 255 wide tire is 60mm narrower than the factory Sasquatch 315 tires. That is 2.4 inches. Multiple threads here on B6G of people running skinny 35s with no lift required and crash bars intact.

Your choice will look good, perform good, and give better fuel mileage than Sasquatch tires.

coffeetwitch

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

ran 315's on stock non anything big bend. on x9 +30 and x8.5 +0 wheels paved roads only no rub. crash bars long removed so who knows.
did 2" lift and 1" body. went 255/85r17 on stock big bend wheels no spacers. have been on full stuff no rub.
Sponsored

Last edited: