Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Damn... I was hoping those new performance rods were going to hold up.... You do wheel hard and test the equipment, but it seemed from the video vantage point you chose good lines and did everything right.... At least the rack did not break..... I wonder how those bushings are holding up....

Thanks for sharing the videos.... and the experience however vicarious.
I would rather the tie rods break than the rack. I wheeled my original 2.0 rack for two years the mod was the B&B bushing and RC bushing on the passenger side. Three trips on the Rubicon and four trips to Moab. Lots of snow wheeling and other trail. Never had an issue.
Had my 3.0 rack in the garage once Big Meats was able to install his I bought one right away and just had it. I will wheel some before check and upgrading the bushings.

Your build is bad ass, if I tried that it would not fit in the garage I have about an 1/2 clearance as it sits now.
Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I would rather the tie rods break than the rack. I wheeled my original 2.0 rack for two years the mod was the B&B bushing and RC bushing on the passenger side. Three trips on the Rubicon and four trips to Moab. Lots of snow wheeling and other trail. Never had an issue.
Had my 3.0 rack in the garage once Big Meats was able to install his I bought one right away and just had it. I will wheel some before check and upgrading the bushings.

Your build is bad ass, if I tried that it would not fit in the garage I have about an 1/2 clearance as it sits now.
Oh yes... I have been following you... I know about the rack up grade just before Ford decided to offer it. I remember the discussion about Big Meats rack upgrade, been trying to follow his axle upgrade right now as well... And well the raptor long arm... Pretty impressive. But I have been following along with your travails as well. It was your 2.0 that Popo dissected wasn't it?

I have had high hopes for the 3.0 rack and the tie rods and YES you are the first to break them that I know of. I did watch the video of Von Gittin jr breaking the ball off the portals using the RPGs.... and Loren immediately saying I think we need to go to a double shear right to Quinn's face.... 🤣

The more I can learn from others the better decisions I can make (or at least more informed).... And yes I follow you.

I like your build choices.... I have spent a lot of years building things up slowly as I break things.... I am old now I just want to jump past that the best that I can. Probably will not wheel as hard as I used to either. I will still push myself a bit though. I am old enough I just don't want to be fixing stuff out on the trail anymore.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like a lot of fun. I want to tackle some more trails up there.
Damnit, this doesnt help my argument against 37's.

Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Off/On-topic - I have HOSS 3.0 tie rods on my '23 Wildtrak. Are there also reports of those breaking? Should I be running with a backup?
There's no logical reason not to have a spare if you can. I upgraded to the Icon tie rods on my Wildtrak, it's a 21 so it doesn't have the 3.0. But I kept the original tie rods. I toss them in a tool kit as a worst case scenario. While I have more faith in the Icon tie rods, what is a little more peace of mind having a spare if something goes wrong?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's no logical reason not to have a spare if you can. I upgraded to the Icon tie rods on my Wildtrak, it's a 21 so it doesn't have the 3.0. But I kept the original tie rods. I toss them in a tool kit as a worst case scenario. While I have more faith in the Icon tie rods, what is a little more peace of mind having a spare if something goes wrong?
OR as a crisis-saver for someone else one day.
I've used one of my spares I keep (knock on some wood), but not for me.
Just so happens a guy in a Bronco in Uwharrie killed one of his and we happened upon it right after.
Never a bad decision to keep one or two. They don't take up much room. I keep mine in the compartment under the rear cargo floor along with a few tools to swap out.

OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hey you still in Moab? I just got here. Did Fins and Things today. Going to Bronco Off rodeo tomorrow. Then probably Poison Spider Saturday. I brought 2 tie rods from TD. 😂
Love Moab, but I came home Sunday. Need front end alignment badly the steering wheel is upside down when the wheels are straight. We ran Fins and Things fun trail a few hard climbs at the back end. Did Poison Spider last year at night which made driving out more challenging. Have a excellent trip enjoy.

OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OR as a crisis-saver for someone else one day.
I've used one of my spares I keep (knock on some wood), but not for me.
Just so happens a guy in a Bronco in Uwharrie killed one of his and we happened upon it right after.
Never a bad decision to keep one or two. They don't take up much room. I keep mine in the compartment under the rear cargo floor along with a few tools to swap out.
I was looking on line yesterday just for the 3.0 heavy duty inner can't believe how expensive they are and they come with the boot I want just the rod.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This video makes me think... If I took my Bronco to Moab and didn't come home with a broken tie rod.... would anyone even believe I was there... :)
How about body damage in the photo you can see damage scratches from a year ago with red spot puddy and the newer shiny scratches.

Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Sasquatch Trip to Cliff Hanger @ Moab. Tie-Rod Broken, Fixed, Finished Trail thumbnail

ralexander1211

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wildtrak 4dr, '12 911 GTS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ok, I've purchased a set of the ICON tie rods - currently $225 on Amazon, prime shipping. I'll have them as my back-ups to the stock 3.0 tie rods.

Is a wide adjustable wrench necessary when changing a tie rod? For the part connecting to the rack. I haven't changed a tie rod and found only a couple of videos. One socket for one end - easy enough, but unscrewing from the rack looked a little tricky if I'm not carrying the right wrench.

OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ok, I've purchased a set of the ICON tie rods - currently $225 on Amazon, prime shipping. I'll have them as my back-ups to the stock 3.0 tie rods.

Is a wide adjustable wrench necessary when changing a tie rod? For the part connecting to the rack. I haven't changed a tie rod and found only a couple of videos. One socket for one end - easy enough, but unscrewing from the rack looked a little tricky if I'm not carrying the right wrench.
Will need an 18" wrench its big a heavy or a crows foot is a 44.

Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Sasquatch Trip to Cliff Hanger @ Moab. Tie-Rod Broken, Fixed, Finished Trail thumbnail (1)

@broncorik see his thread.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...es-reviews-pending.71062/page-30#post-1944501

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was looking on line yesterday just for the 3.0 heavy duty inner can't believe how expensive they are and they come with the boot I want just the rod.
I should have a spare set somewhere that I got from @BigMeatsBronco if you have any trouble finding them. Can't remember if they still had bellows on them, both inners and outers. Dorman makes a 16mm inner now that may be available by itself. Check www.dormanproducts.com
Sponsored