Sponsored

2.3L EcoBoost® I-4 Engine vs 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine... not sure which one?

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a difference in the brakes between the 2, the 2.3 has vacuum boost brakes vs the electronic boost brakes on the 2.7. The 2.3 seems to have more failures in this area.

Both engines are fine. There are tradeoffs with both. You'll be happy with either.
Sponsored

DaBronCo33

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got the 2.3 in my Basesquatch and it does everything that I ask it to. 2.7 theoretically has more power, but what can it actually do that the 2.3 can’t?

Save a couple bucks and get the 2.3. You won’t regret it.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2dr Base 2.3 manual and a 4dr Badlands 2.3 auto.
The motor is great in either form. I just did a 2000 mile road trip/vacation through the Blue Ridge Mountain area, I NEVER had power issues on any of the mountain roads. The turbo really brings the performance to these motors.

The 4dr, with the 33's, auto and the 4.46 gears that the Badlands comes with, is pretty snappy around town. It's a fun rig to drive.

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the 2.3 with the Ford Performance tune and it’s been terrific power wise. Both are great engines.
How big of a difference did it make in your opinion which the tune?
Seems like that is an “economical “ way to get about the same power as the 2.7 from the 2.3.
If I remember its $1895 option to get the 2.7 and the Ford tune for the 2.3 is $895.
Thanks for any feedback.
Brian

skidsteer

Base
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT crew w/2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Forgive my dumb question I am almost afraid to post this. I am a chick with no expertise in vehicles. When I build a Bronco it gives two options:

2.3L EcoBoost® I-4 Engine
2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine

The Bronco will be doing off-roading in the mountains (nothing serious). I am confused whether it is worth getting the 2.7L over the 2.3L? Does one use "less gas" than the other? The Bronco would also be my daily driver. 100% a 2 door!... with 2nd row seats removed and looking at the Black Diamond trim.

Thanks!
Both engines very good, imo. Have and had 2.3 and earlier variants. Stick! 2.3 more economical. One of our boys had the '21 2.7 and stick--no problems, but not economical....enjoy!

Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Forgive my dumb question I am almost afraid to post this. I am a chick with no expertise in vehicles. When I build a Bronco it gives two options:

2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine

The Bronco will be doing off-roading in the mountains (nothing serious). I am confused whether it is worth getting the 2.7L over the 2.3L? Does one use "less gas" than the other? The Bronco would also be my daily driver. 100% a 2 door!... with 2nd row seats removed and looking at the Black Diamond trim.

Thanks!
for your needs 2.3 will be plenty on a 2dr
4 dr 2.7 just that simple or 2.3 and tuned
either will have your new pony happy

Wark

Base
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is a difference in the brakes between the 2, the 2.3 has vacuum boost brakes vs the electronic boost brakes on the 2.7. The 2.3 seems to have more failures in this area.

Both engines are fine. There are tradeoffs with both. You'll be happy with either.
This is the information to make the decision on! The engines are both fine.

I'm not a fan of the vacuum boost brakes with the 2.3L. I haven't driven the 2.7L and felt the brakes response.

Bronco56

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Grey Badlands Lux 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine

Thanks!
Badlands 2.3 auto with 1” level and 305/70r17 tires here… I haven’t felt underpowered yet. It’s my daily driver. I have not changed my speedometer so my mpg calcs are somewhat off. I’m using 93 octane and getting around 18 but it’s probably a little better than that because I’m actually driving further on each tank than what the odometer shows. The 2.7 costs what 2,200 more? Get the ford tune for 700$ is you want close to 2.7 power

MyDogGoldie

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L BD 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
for your needs 2.3 will be plenty on a 2dr
4 dr 2.7 just that simple or 2.3 and tuned
either will have your new pony happy
This makes the most sense to me. If you plan on "loading up" the Bronco regularly (4 or 5 people, lots of "stuff") I would instantly chose the larger engine. That just makes sense.

If you plan on packing it to the rim and traveling a lot in the mountains get the bigger engine.

If you feel like you're going to regret getting the bigger engine because you have 4 doors and have a lot of stuff and a lot of people, and what were you thinking buying the smaller engine,, get the 2.7L.

But,, if you are getting the 2 door, you're saying, I plan on traveling light, not a lot of people not a ton of crap in the back. Get the 2.3L.

Seems kinda simple really, 2.3L for the 2 door, 2.7L for the 4 door.

I test drove the 2.3L with stick shift in a 4 door with 3 people in it, and it felt low on power and slow to me. But I but if it was a 2 door, it would have felt perfect.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

2.7L EcoBoost® V6 Engine

Thanks!
If spending a lot of time in the mountains, depending on altitude, the V6 might be a better fit. Because you can lose some power at higher altitudes. Or if you are a pedal masher type driver, go with V6. There is a video out there maybe from TFL where they do a drag race and the V6 is faster as expected.

Also Broncos can vary significantly in terms of weight. The lightest 2-door Bronco is nearly 900lbs lighter than the heaviest equipped 4-door. Lugging around an extra 900lbs can have a negative impact on power and handling. That may be why some folks find the 4cyl low on power, especially if they are pedal mashers driving around loaded heavy Bronco versions.

I only have a month seat time in my base 2-door with manual and 4cyl. So far it's nice to drive, I'm pleasantly surprised with the power. But I'm not a pedal masher. With the 4cyl and manual you need to know how to use it, meaning when to shift and when to wring out some rpm for more power, but that is the beauty of the manual using those driving skills.

If still living in Colorado off-roading in the mountains every weekend, I'd probably have given the automatic and V6 a higher priority.

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the 2.3 auto and it has plenty of power both on road and off road. The 2.3 is used in a variety of Ford products and is a proven engine. I drove both and I decided the extra cost of 2.7 was not worth it.

Enjoy the Bronco!!

Turner00

Badlands
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 23 badlands, SAS, 4-door with the 2.3. I did not order mine, but found it on the lot. Admittedly I was worried as I saw all kinds of comments that the 2.3 was under powered. I have about 5,200 miles on mine and never once thought it was lacking in power in any situation. I’m really happy with the engine, I also average about 22-23 mpg which also makes me happy, this is a 50/50 city/hwy mix

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is the information to make the decision on! The engines are both fine.

I'm not a fan of the vacuum boost brakes with the 2.3L. I haven't driven the 2.7L and felt the brakes response.
The 2.7 can be a challenge to flat tow if that’s in the plans with the brakes that come with that engine. That’s why we changed our order to a 2.3, I have the same engine in my 19 Ranger and it’s plenty powerful even towing 5000lbs.
Brian

Cliff B

Badlands
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979Bronco Ranger XLT, 2017 4Runnner Limited 4x4,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We have a 21 Badlands with every option except hard top with the 2.7, I drive a Badlands with hard top and 2.3, automatic and did not see much difference, and that was with two other adults in it. But if it were loaded with gear it may bea different story. I was really impressed wtih the 4 cylinder, had we gone with a 2 door we definitely would have chosen it.
Sponsored