First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
6th gear isn't worthless, it works great with 5.88 gears or in 4Lo with the stock gears.
Sponsored

roboticsrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I have driven sticks for only about 40 years, but I learned not to lug the engine especially in higher gears even though I know the 2.3 engine is rather torquey. I try to keep revs between 2.0 and 2.5 and my MPG is hanging at 22.8. Better than expected.
Exactly where I’m at. Really start to notice the lack of power below 2.1k, and only in 6th once I’m up up speed over 65 mph. Stock BL non-Sas.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Been discussed many times. Drive a MT to a RPM range and don't worry about what gear that is. That's the beauty of a manual.

A copy of the 2.3L dyno should come with it so people will stop lugging the engine.

Tire size, gearing, blah, blah, blah. Drive to a desired RPM range. Stop worrying about what gear that is. Too low an RPM just dumps fuel and increases boost to gain power. Not good for mileage or longevity.

Last edited:

Phil James

Base
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Probably more useful here out west where we have 80 mph speed limits in places.

I think I remember even an 85mph in Texas going through the panhandle.
Yes. Driving a little over 80 Denver to Missoula I get into 6th gear on the flat spots.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I seldom get past 5th when around town (surface streets). But use 6th all the time when on the freeway. In Phoenix can't go very far without taking a freeway.

I can see how someone on the east coast would find little use for 6th, but once you get west of the Mississippi you'll use 6th anytime you leave town.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For an exercise in driving the 2.3 eco, turn on your boost gage and try driving in the sweet spot where boost mostly goes away. Then see what that RPM is. That's where the engine wants to cruise.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Whats 6th gear? I only use 5th here
It’s the one in the far lower right! Just below 5! :cool: Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

On the road, I’ll use it after about 70 sometimes. But 60/65 and below, nope.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I find the sweet spot to be 2500-2700 RPM. Just did 800 mile trip/12 hrs straight yesterday and never once used 6th gear. Cruising around 75 MPH and 2700. 18 MPG (via Fuelly, not the dash which is always 1.5-2 over). Ford Tune, step colder plugs, 285/75 on steel wheels, lots of gear, S&B filter, 3” exhaust, 93 fuel, etc.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I find the sweet spot to be 2500-2700 RPM. Just did 800 mile trip/12 hrs straight yesterday and never once used 6th gear. Cruising around 75 MPH and 2700. 18 MPG (via Fuelly, not the dash which is always 1.5-2 over). Ford Tune, step colder plugs, 285/75 on steel wheels, lots of gear, S&B filter, 3” exhaust, 93 fuel, etc.
Yep
I use 2500-2800 as my goal regardless of whether I'm driving 45 or 75.. Might go under or over for short periods, but most of my cruising is in that range. The lowest boost and best mpg.

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, over 68 cruising on the highway. Rpm’s about 2k-2.5k. As someone mentioned earlier, I treat it as an overdrive gear. Same speed as in 5th but lower rpm’s.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, my additional random comment here:

FOr all of us that have driven manuals for years - yeah, RPM is important, and knowing the torque curve of your engine so you don't bog it down - you get a feel for that as you drive it.

Now, the Bronco was my first turbocharged engine, so it took me a bit to figure this out.

I was used to trying to sit at as low an RPM as I could - that's how you normally shift for best fuel economy, at least on a N/A engine.

Here, yeah, I can shift into 6th gear. And my RPMs do drop. But the turbo starts to spool up to make up the difference due to wind resistance and the torque curve.

Once the turbo starts to pick up, it absolutely destroys fuel economy. Even at low boost levels.

When I first started driving - I could get into 6th on straight highways, about 65+ MPH, and be sitting in the low 2ks on RPM, but also would be sitting at a near constant 1-5 psi on turbo, kind of depending on head wind and if I had a big truck in front of me and such.

I found it was better for fuel economy, and the general consensus around here is it's better for the engine (although that's not proven, just the general sentiment) - that it's better to be at a slightly higher RPM than it is to be at a higher boost.

So downshifting to 5th, so that while cruising I'm at 0 boost - while it may be more RPM, is better fuel economy, and possibly better for the engine.

Now that I'm sitting on a bit more lift, I see 5th gear start to flicker at 1-2 psi boost on occasion, a bad headwind will do it, or if I am passing someone and in their turbulence. I went up half an inch on lift with new shocks (0.5"), and my MPG dropped by 0.5 MPG, and I started to see the flicker in 5th gear due to the additional air resistance. The aerodynamics of a brick are really killer, and lift has a huge factor.

So bigger tires and bigger lifts - it all plays an important role. And don't get stuck just thinking about RPM - the turbo has a much bigger impact.

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, my additional random comment here:

FOr all of us that have driven manuals for years - yeah, RPM is important, and knowing the torque curve of your engine so you don't bog it down - you get a feel for that as you drive it.

Now, the Bronco was my first turbocharged engine, so it took me a bit to figure this out.

I was used to trying to sit at as low an RPM as I could - that's how you normally shift for best fuel economy, at least on a N/A engine.

Here, yeah, I can shift into 6th gear. And my RPMs do drop. But the turbo starts to spool up to make up the difference due to wind resistance and the torque curve.

Once the turbo starts to pick up, it absolutely destroys fuel economy. Even at low boost levels.

When I first started driving - I could get into 6th on straight highways, about 65+ MPH, and be sitting in the low 2ks on RPM, but also would be sitting at a near constant 1-5 psi on turbo, kind of depending on head wind and if I had a big truck in front of me and such.

I found it was better for fuel economy, and the general consensus around here is it's better for the engine (although that's not proven, just the general sentiment) - that it's better to be at a slightly higher RPM than it is to be at a higher boost.

So downshifting to 5th, so that while cruising I'm at 0 boost - while it may be more RPM, is better fuel economy, and possibly better for the engine.

Now that I'm sitting on a bit more lift, I see 5th gear start to flicker at 1-2 psi boost on occasion, a bad headwind will do it, or if I am passing someone and in their turbulence. I went up half an inch on lift with new shocks (0.5"), and my MPG dropped by 0.5 MPG, and I started to see the flicker in 5th gear due to the additional air resistance. The aerodynamics of a brick are really killer, and lift has a huge factor.

So bigger tires and bigger lifts - it all plays an important role. And don't get stuck just thinking about RPM - the turbo has a much bigger impact.

Yep, low RPM means more boost and MORE fuel, which kinda goes against traditional thinking. Driving the 2.3 ecoboost like it's a V8 is not the ideal way.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use 6th all the time in my Badlands non Squatch driving around town and such. Typical city street speeds are 45-50mph. I'll cruise at a lower rpm when I can, until I hit traffic, construction, etc.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I monitor the Fuel Economy display. I don't know if all Broncos have one or not. It gives instant fuel consumption.
Sponsored