Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Might be not the answer you wanna hear but after you get it back, see how much it's worth and if you break even or have some positive equity, maybe it's a good idea to trade it in with another Bronco or with something completely different.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Beckycorrine

Beckycorrine

Outer Banks
First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco OBX 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Might be not the answer you wanna hear but after you get it back, see how much it's worth and if you break even or have some positive equity, maybe it's a good idea to trade it in with another Bronco or with something completely different.
It's tempting, but I think Ford needs to take it back. Sudden engine failure can be pretty dangerous and I'd feel terrible if someone else had to deal with this.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do Ford dealers have a central database where vehicle repairs are documented so that another dealer can access these records?
If it was a warranty repair, yes. We can see warranty history of any vehicle no matter where it was completed.

OP
OP
Beckycorrine

Beckycorrine

Outer Banks
First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
First was a catalytic converter failure which caused the engine not to run, not an engine failure. Engine was not replaced, Cat was. This time…who knows.
Cat failure a 6K probably means there is a root problem with the engine. Just a guess.

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have had my Bronco for eight months and as I'm dealing with another engine failure, some serious management issues come into question. Do Ford dealers have a central database where vehicle repairs are documented so that another dealer can access these records? Also, why do service centers act as if they shouldn't speak to another dealer's service center for additional information so that efforts are not duplicated. I understand dealers are their own entities, but they're still an extension of Ford, so why doesn't Ford expect their dealers to standardize documents/order repair details and streamline practices? It would save Ford Motors money and reputation in the long run. I've lurked on these forums and also see another common issue. Whenever someone needs repairs, not only are customers dealing with the service department's ridiculous backlog, usually an item needed for repair is on backorder. Perhaps Ford needs to stop getting parts made in China because I'm tired of hearing about supply chain disruptions and I know WE aren't the ones saving $$ with this outsourcing.
Serious answers. 1. We do not have a large enough work force in the USA to produce all the stuff we buy. 2. Service departments have the very same hiring issues everyone else has in the country, Not enough workers. 3. Because US companies must outsource parts around the globe. My son is in the International Shipping Business, the story he tells about interruptions do to strikes (India and American Transaxle), ships running into bridges, US strikes (NYC dock workers strike a few years back caused ZF to pay Mercedes USA $1 million a day for the line shut down delay in delivery of Transmissions), US sanctions, (Malaysia's Military take over caused serious issues for one of the USA's largest cabinet makers supply of wood)... Automobiles are sold world wide and produced world wide, every bit of them.

Good news though, Apple just announced its first production of iPhones out of India, to broaden its manufacturing out of just China (my guess, Apple is fearful of China attacking Taiwan and the aftermath of a total embargo of all items out of China).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Beckycorrine

Beckycorrine

Outer Banks
First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Serious answers. 1. We do not have a large enough work force in the USA to produce all the stuff we buy. 2. Service departments have the very same hiring issues everyone else has in the country, Not enough workers. 3. Because US companies must outsource parts around the globe. My son is in the International Shipping Business, the story he tells about interruptions do to strikes (India and American Transaxle), ships running into bridges, US strikes (NYC dock workers strike a few years back caused ZF to pay Mercedes USA $1 million a day for the line shut down delay in delivery of Transmissions), US sanctions, (Malaysia's Military take over caused serious issues for one of the USA's largest cabinet makers supply of wood)... Automobiles are sold world wide and produced world wide, every bit of them.

Good news though, Apple just announced its first production of iPhones out of India, to broaden its manufacturing out of just China (my guess, Apple is fearful of China attacking Taiwan and the aftermath of a total embargo of all items out of China).
I understand the importance of global commerce, but a company shouldn't tout the "Made in the USA" yet rely so heavily on products manufactured OUTSIDE of the country. Blue collar jobs have lost their appeal with the younger generation, but we could bring more jobs back to our country if our culture valued professions that don't involve a college degree. All the instances above are more reason we can't overly depend on foreign imports OR need to have better alternatives for manufacturing/transporting. Great info though and I understand where you're coming from.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's tempting, but I think Ford needs to take it back. Sudden engine failure can be pretty dangerous and I'd feel terrible if someone else had to deal with this.
As far as semantics go, you haven’t had engine failures. Just part failures.

Engine failures typically describe the need to completly rebuild or replace the engine - either way it needs to get pulled and it’s a BIG job. When we hear engine failure, it’s usually associated with a cracked block, a spun main bearing, cracked piston skirts, failed ringlands, bent connecting rods, dropped valves, oiling issues, etc.

Cats and Cam phasers are just a couple pieces of the puzzle.

That being said. If you have a bad cam phaser(or related part), you COULD be running an overly rich AFR. Excessive fuel is a great way to kill a Cat. These two issues may be intrinsically connected.

*I am not a tech, so don’t take that statement as accurate

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cat failure a 6K probably means there is a root problem with the engine. Just a guess.
A misfire for an extended period, fuel contamination (diesel, silicone, high sulphur, etc), oil leak from turbo or further up stream into the exhaust and coolant are the most common reasons for premature converter functional failure. They usually plug or melt down from a huge fuel dump or misfire that went unaddressed. The engine being recently replaced would make me believe the converters were likely contaminated from whatever the failure was and coolant/oil got in and caused them to not function correctly which is generally found by watching the up and down stream sensors. Diagnosing a plugged converter(s) is usually pretty easy.

OP
OP
Beckycorrine

Beckycorrine

Outer Banks
First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A misfire for an extended period, fuel contamination (diesel, silicone, high sulphur, etc), oil leak from turbo or further up stream into the exhaust and coolant are the most common reasons for premature converter functional failure. They usually plug or melt down from a huge fuel dump or misfire that went unaddressed. The engine being recently replaced would make me believe the converters were likely contaminated from whatever the failure was and coolant/oil got in and caused them to not function correctly which is generally found by watching the up and down stream sensors. Diagnosing a plugged converter(s) is usually pretty easy.
I was told "sometimes you just get a bad cat" and they told me it might have been dropped during production. You provide some good info though, because still trying to understand the mechanics of what is going on and it's entirely too complicated for me to comprehend. Also, I am using the "engine failure" term in a literal since that the engine died and needed to be towed. I am understanding that term is not loosely thrown around with people that understand vehicle maintenance/mechanics. Just to clarify, I didn't not have an engine replacement...yet.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was told "sometimes you just get a bad cat" and they told me it might have been dropped during production. You provide some good info though, because still trying to understand the mechanics of what is going on and it's entirely too complicated for me to comprehend. Also, I am using the "engine failure" term in a literal since that the engine died and needed to be towed. I am understanding that term is not loosely thrown around with people that understand vehicle maintenance/mechanics. Just to clarify, I didn't not have an engine replacement...yet.
DM me your VIN.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Beckycorrine

Beckycorrine

Outer Banks
First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
DM me your VIN.
It's not identified as a recall, I checked. I did provide the NHTSA with all the information to initiate an investigation, if warranted by additional complaints.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not identified as a recall, I checked. I did provide the NHTSA with all the information to initiate an investigation, if warranted by additional complaints.
I'm a dealer and wanted to look at your VHR.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Seriously, DM @flip your VIN he might well be able to get to the bottom of your issue if there is a bottom to be gotten to. He's always very helpful.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Flip has access to lookup information in the systems you were asking about. He asks for the VIN in a DM so you don't post it on the forum at large. If you don't feel comfortable, of course that's alright. He has helped me out before in the same way.

Another is @Ducati1098. Generally they're both great about looking up parts for members and looking at issues in general, and both work for dealerships in the service department.
Sponsored