Sponsored

Winch accessory question - cover/line shackle?

jclark

Badlands
First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm planning for a winch install on my rig -
  • RC high mount plate
  • LoD frame horn plates
  • Warn 10-S (probably Platinum for the wireless remote and other features)
  • Warn control relocation (to put the control box in the engine compartment) (probably the option from BAMF)
This configuration checks a number of boxes for me (no impact to approach angle, re-use of 20" bumper mounted light bar, not blocking my grille letters, etc.)

So here are my lingering questions...

Any cover options that are low profile to protect the winch line from sun exposure?

Which winch line shackle are most people going with?

Any other accessories I need to plan for?
Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
  • RC high mount plate
  • LoD frame horn plates
  • Warn control relocation (to put the control box in the engine compartment) (probably the option from BAMF)
This configuration checks a number of boxes for me (no impact to approach angle, re-use of 20" bumper mounted light bar, not blocking my grille letters, etc.)

Any cover options that are low profile to protect the winch line from sun exposure?

We carry both hard and soft shackles. Both are great and when used appropriately EG-don’t use a soft shackle in a D-Ring mount then be surprised when it breaks. You never know what other rigs do or don’t have when you either need their help or they need yours, so easiest to just carry both. We have two hard and four soft.

Also consider snatch blocks. We have two of the conventional snatch blocks rather than the new static options that are becoming more popular with the use of synthetic rope over cable. The simple reason is heat and drag. If using the static blocks in high temps, you’ll get a lot more drag and wear the rope faster. There will be evidence of this as you’ll potentially leave the coating of the rope on the donut thingie. Probably not a concern if you’re up north but with summer trips to Moab it’s something I’d rather not worry about. And with snatch blocks comes a way to attach them, so you’ll want a long strap or two in the event of redirects. Plenty of companies make recovery kits of various pieces from basic to extreme. If you want all American made go with Yankum. If you want to keep Chinese kids employed there are plenty of options for that as well. We also carry a kinetic rope. Not as much for kinetic (potential?) energy pulling but for using as a tow rope. That little bit of stretch makes towing much more pleasant than a strap.

OP
OP
jclark

jclark

Badlands
First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We carry both hard and soft shackles. Both are great and when used appropriately EG-don’t use a soft shackle in a D-Ring mount then be surprised when it breaks. You never know what other rigs do or don’t have when you either need their help or they need yours, so easiest to just carry both. We have two hard and four soft.

Also consider snatch blocks. We have two of the conventional snatch blocks rather than the new static options that are becoming more popular with the use of synthetic rope over cable. The simple reason is heat and drag. If using the static blocks in high temps, you’ll get a lot more drag and wear the rope faster. There will be evidence of this as you’ll potentially leave the coating of the rope on the donut thingie. Probably not a concern if you’re up north but with summer trips to Moab it’s something I’d rather not worry about. And with snatch blocks comes a way to attach them, so you’ll want a long strap or two in the event of redirects. Plenty of companies make recovery kits of various pieces from basic to extreme. If you want all American made go with Yankum. If you want to keep Chinese kids employed there are plenty of options for that as well. We also carry a kinetic rope. Not as much for kinetic (potential?) energy pulling but for using as a tow rope. That little bit of stretch makes towing much more pleasant than a strap.
Thanks! I carry recovery for kinetic recovery to include 20' and 30' kinetic options, soft shackles, tree strap, and hard shackles But winch recovery is going to need to add to that. First decision is what to put on the end of the winch line....

Last edited:

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • RC high mount plate
  • LoD frame horn plates

Here’s my setup. Warn VR Evo 12S on RC Mount. Like most others, I carry soft shackles, tree saver, 30’ kinetic rope, 10‘ kinetic rope bridle, hard shackles on all four bumper corners, and 20’ strap.

IMG_1729.jpeg

OP
OP
jclark

jclark

Badlands
First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here’s my setup. Warn VR Evo 12S on RC Mount. Like most others, I carry soft shackles, tree saver, 30’ kinetic rope, 10‘ kinetic rope bridle, hard shackles on all four bumper corners, and 20’ strap.

Ford Bronco Winch accessory question - cover/line shackle? IMG_1729
Nice setup. What winch line shackle did you use?

Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is a Factor 55 Flatlink - E in grey.

I have the same, but the Superwinch 1571 neoprene cover is more my speed. Stretchy and one drawstring instead of about 5, 2 zippers and no stretch on the Warn winch cover.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same, but the Superwinch 1571 neoprene cover is more my speed. Stretchy and one drawstring instead of about 5, 2 zippers and no stretch on the Warn winch cover.
I had to smile, but you sir are indeed correct. :)

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had to smile, but you sir are indeed correct. :)
It was a hard-learned lesson.

My winch is more recessed than yours and has an Anderson 350A QD, which combine to make it exponentially worse to try to finesse that tightass Warn corset around the winch.

Ford Bronco Winch accessory question - cover/line shackle? 20240119_222526

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally I don't think the Warn 10-S needs a cover as it is a sealed winch. I protect the rope from the sun & junk with some high density foam & a strip of Gorilla Tape. I just remove it whenever I need the winch. Works for me, YMMV đŸ€ 

Ford Bronco Winch accessory question - cover/line shackle? IMG_6939

IMG_6939.jpg

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks! I carry recovery for kinetic recovery to include 20' and 30' kinetic options, soft shackles, tree strap, and hard shackles But winch recovery is going to need to add to that. First decision is what to put on the end of the winch line....
We just did a brummel splice front and rear. Winch line tucks in and is protected from hitting rocks by the fairlead up front

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1589.jpeg
Sponsored