Sponsored

What Do You Use as a Protectant on Your Hard Top?

The Bronc

Badlands
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Xterra; 04 Element; 06 Sentra; 10 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking for solid advice on what you use as a protectant on the hard top (especially) and other plastics such as the fender flares. I used 303 Protectant once on my hard top, but then stopped because the ingredients says it contains nonylphenol polyethylene glycol ether, I am not sure if these ingredients are a form of alcohol or solvent.

In certain light and angles, you can see honeycombing on my hard top. I picked up my Bronco 6/23. I noticed the honey combing within the first week after taking delivery. I can't imagine the honeycombing was caused by one use of the 303 protectant, but I have not used anything on my hard top since the one application.

From the manual

CLEANING THE HARD TOP

We recommend that you only clean the hard top in the following way:
  1. Use a sponge to remove dust and loose dirt on the hard top surface.
  1. Wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth and a mild soap and water solution.Dry the area with a clean, soft cloth.
  1. Make sure the surface of your hard top is dry before applying a small amount of conditioner or spray wax.
  1. For additional information and assistance, we recommend that you contact an authorized dealer.
Note: Test any conditioner or spray wax on an inconspicuous area before applying broadly.
Note: Do not use alcohol containing cleaner or any type of solvent on the hard top surface.
Note: Do not use power tools, paste wax or polish on the hard top surface.
Note: Do not use chemical solvents or strong detergents when cleaning the hard top. If any chemical solvent gets on the hard top surface, remove it immediately from the surface to avoid unrepairable damage.
Sponsored

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think the best way to protect the hard top is not to use anything on it at all and just rinse it with water when washing. The material is really delicate and from what I’ve seen and heard pretty much anything has been reacting bad to it

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Bummer to hear it seems to be delicate. It doesn't need to be. There are plenty of resins very resistant to most common chemicals and solvents. Probably some bean counting here...

TrailRaider

Badlands
First Name
Mr. G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Mitsubishi Montero, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just wash it. Same soap and mitt as the rest of the Bronco. Then I dry it. That's it. 🍻

Sponsored

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I used one of those sprays, I think it was Mother's but I'd have to look through the garage, about 3 months into ownership as a preventative measure. We all know the southern sun is a beast. I'm probably the only one that notices but from that day on, even a year later, the black isn't quite even across the hard top and it irritates me everytime I see it. No issues with exterior honeycomb though. I might look into other more gentle options in the future but right now I'm leaving it alone till it grays. That would be the first sign to treat, anything before that isn't going to help the plastic maintain integrity.

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wash MIC top then apply Griots Ceramic 3in1 wax every couple months
(AZ summer sun is brutal) Works great on top could use it on black flares too. Griots also has a great “Trim Restore Dressing” that works well on textured plastic like flares and bumpers. There are a number of different brands all fairly similar that will make the trim look new again. Real key for flares, bumpers and windshield cowling to make them look new again is to use a rubber cleaner before applying whichever dressing you decide.

Spiniker

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am looking for solid advice on what you use as a protectant on the hard top (especially) and other plastics such as the fender flares. I used 303 Protectant once on my hard top, but then stopped because the ingredients says it contains nonylphenol polyethylene glycol ether, I am not sure if these ingredients are a form of alcohol or solvent.

In certain light and angles, you can see honeycombing on my hard top. I picked up my Bronco 6/23. I noticed the honey combing within the first week after taking delivery. I can't imagine the honeycombing was caused by one use of the 303 protectant, but I have not used anything on my hard top since the one application.

From the manual

CLEANING THE HARD TOP

2. Wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth and a mild soap and water solution.Dry the area with a clean, soft cloth.
  3. Make sure the surface of your hard top is dry before applying a small amount of conditioner or spray wax.
  4. For additional information and assistance, we recommend that you contact an authorized dealer.
Note: Test any conditioner or spray wax on an inconspicuous area before applying broadly.
Note: Do not use alcohol containing cleaner or any type of solvent on the hard top surface.
Note: Do not use chemical solvents or strong detergents when cleaning the hard top. If any chemical solvent gets on the hard top surface, remove it immediately from the surface to avoid unrepairable damage.
Ive been using turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic spray coating and it works great. Realy beads up and rain water runs off like a ducks back. You can also use it on plastic to. Good luck

Sponsored

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

From the manual

CLEANING THE HARD TOP

2. Wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth and a mild soap and water solution.Dry the area with a clean, soft cloth.
  3. Make sure the surface of your hard top is dry before applying a small amount of conditioner or spray wax.
  4. For additional information and assistance, we recommend that you contact an authorized dealer.

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine has cracks after four months of owning it. Picked it up Oct 2022 and found cracks Feb 2023 and never put anything on it except water when rinsing it off. I plan on getting it replaced before the warranty ends. I would say just don't bother with anything other than car wash soap and water since odds are it will need to get replaced at least once before your warranty ends.