Sponsored

What changes have you made to your Bronco using ForScan?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Going to play Mr. Raincloud as I'm not sure if anyone, including myself, mentioned this.

As most of you know Ford continues to struggle with software/programming and also with a lack of people in the engineering programming group. Most of the workforce issues were self induced but the group they gutted last year is responsible for fixing programming and coding problems.

With the old system, IDS, the vehicle was subordinate to Ford's servers. In later vehicle that require FDRS, this relationship is inverted. In a recent discussion with my FSE about programming he said the programming group is running into more issues with vehicles that have been modified with Forscan.

When you had a module go bad, the part was replaced and the software was pulled from the server and programmed specifically for the options of that VIN. If you make changes to settings with Forscan and never take it to a dealer for a software update, this will likely never be an issue. However, if this does happen, those Forscan changes will be written to Ford's servers. If you ever sell the vehicle and don't revert it back to factory settings and update with FDRS, the Forscan options will still be in the server. If customer has a module go down or tech is trying to "fix" something what was programmed out, every programmable module installation (PMI) they do will keep loading the "fault" back into the new part. Once everyone figures this out, the programming group has to go into the servers and manually put the factory coding in.

Not trying to poo poo anyone, just attempting to save the sanity, time and $$ of the people involved in fixing something that was modified by a previous owner. Apparently, this is starting to show up more often and eating up time and resources which are already in short supply at both the dealer and engineering level. I've also seen reports of this on our tech to tech dealer message boards so it isn't just a one-off.

My advice, if you made changes, let the dealer know, try to put everything back to factory prior to selling or make sure the subsequent owner knows what was changed. Ford is having enough trouble making the stock stuff work reliably and adding more layers to an already shorthanded group makes it worse for everyone.